Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Hammock
    mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    Posts
    15

    ridgeline length and location?

    So I get the 83% part...I think. 83% of the actual flat length of the hammock right? Now where do you attach that?

    Made my ridgeline with a fixed eye on each end by mistake, meant to be whoopee on one end but was watching TV while working and whoops. Its 83% fixed now

    I made continuous loops and attached cinch buckles. Before finishing the larks head there I put the loops in the mix so my ridgeline is pretty much right at the hammocks end. Seems like a good place…sound about right, if there is a “right” that is?

    Couple observations and share tips if you have them please…Amsteel Blue, this stuff is difficult to cut and the ends don’t melt well either. And anyone ever have the blue rub off on your hands? Interesting stuff.
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

    "...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

  2. #2
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    I hook mine where my suspension meets the end of my hammock.
    Yeah....I looked Smurfy after goofing with it.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 03-31-2013 at 22:26.
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    10' X 12' Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz2u View Post
    Couple observations and share tips if you have them please…Amsteel Blue, this stuff is difficult to cut and the ends don’t melt well either. And anyone ever have the blue rub off on your hands? Interesting stuff.
    I had the color rub off on me after making two pairs of whoopie slings.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    25
    Get the gray amsteel, it is un-dyed

  5. #5
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,354
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz2u View Post
    So I get the 83% part...I think. 83% of the actual flat length of the hammock right? Now where do you attach that?

    Made my ridgeline with a fixed eye on each end by mistake, meant to be whoopee on one end but was watching TV while working and whoops. Its 83% fixed now

    I made continuous loops and attached cinch buckles. Before finishing the larks head there I put the loops in the mix so my ridgeline is pretty much right at the hammocks end. Seems like a good place…sound about right, if there is a “right” that is?

    Couple observations and share tips if you have them please…Amsteel Blue, this stuff is difficult to cut and the ends don’t melt well either. And anyone ever have the blue rub off on your hands? Interesting stuff.
    Spot on with what you've done. As you said, there is no right way but you certainly did one of many possibilities. To finish off the end of amsteel, backsplicing is a good way to go.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  6. #6
    Member maggot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Barrie Ont
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss, WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Posts
    86
    Yesterday was my first encounter with amsteel... I made several whoopies and an adjustable ridgeline. I have a 6 in loop at the ends of my hammock with a caribiner attached, so my RL is about a ft longer then my hammock.

    For finishing off the ends I back spliced about an inch or so, makes a nice finish and it won't pull thru your whoopie..

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Hammock
    mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    ... and it won't pull thru your whoopie..
    Yeah, I dont like things pulled through my whoopee...not that there is anything wrong with that



    .
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

    "...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

  8. #8
    New Member laziboie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by brucky View Post
    Get the gray amsteel, it is un-dyed
    Cool, didn't realize I just ordered grey...added benefit! Thanks.

  9. #9
    New Member laziboie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz2u View Post
    Yeah, I dont like things pulled through my whoopee...not that there is anything wrong with that



    .
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •