Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Saving $$ on whoopie hook setup?

My boy and I are both tired of tying up our Hennessys manually and we think that Dutch's whoopie hook setup looks like the way to go but it gets spendy when buying for two. We got our HH with the 1.5" x 8' long tree straps and I'm wondering of the following would work:

Could I get the $36 whoopie hook + 6 foot whoopie sling + continuous loop package and larkshead the whoopie sling to the tree strap loop and then pass that through the loop on the other end of the tree strap? This would eliminate the Dutch Clip and Dutch Tree Straps saving almost $30 each for both of us at the cost of some convenience and weight.

Would that work? Thanks!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    My boy and I are both tired of tying up our Hennessys manually and we think that Dutch's whoopie hook setup looks like the way to go but it gets spendy when buying for two. We got our HH with the 1.5" x 8' long tree straps and I'm wondering of the following would work:

Could I get the $36 whoopie hook + 6 foot whoopie sling + continuous loop package and larkshead the whoopie sling to the tree strap loop and then pass that through the loop on the other end of the tree strap? This would eliminate the Dutch Clip and Dutch Tree Straps saving almost $30 each for both of us at the cost of some convenience and weight.

Would that work? Thanks!
    If I'm thinking about this correctly, that you're going to pull the entire whoopie sling through the other eye of the tree strap once you put it around the tree, then ya that will work fine. I use my tree straps in this way, but with a marlin spike hitch on the other end. I do like the simplicity of whoopie hooks though, and I think I'm gonna go that way before long too.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Saving $$ on whoopie hook setup?

Yep, that is exactly what I'm thinking, I'll pull the whole sling through the other eyelet. It shouldn't be too bad.

Are the HH tree straps sewn adequately to be loaded in this manner? They sure seem stout.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    alternatively...I bought cheap ratchet straps from harbor freight and cut off the hooks. Then I do a marlinspike in the strap with a shell casing and hook the whoopie sling to it. very cheap, easy, and solid

I have been using mine this way for a few years now, works great. I use 1" webbing though.

Yes the HH straps will hold fine, they were designed to be used with the ropes and the figure 8 knot tied through the sewn loops in the webbing.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    alternatively...I bought cheap ratchet straps from harbor freight and cut off the hooks. Then I do a marlinspike in the strap with a shell casing and hook the whoopie sling to it. very cheap, easy, and solid
    That's not far off from how I've done mine. HF straps, climbing biners, aluminum arrow shaft. Works fer me!
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post

Would that work? Thanks!
    That's what I do, but I have much shorter tree straps (4 feet). I carry a couple of continuous loops just in case I meet a big tree. I like the HH tree straps better than my 1" poly straps from strapworks.com.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Order 25' of webbing from Dutch and you'll have 2 sets of tree huggers for $7. If you knot them on the ends, then you can make the loop big enough to fit whatever you want through it.

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    When hanging your hammock you only need one disconnect point on each side of the hammock. The Whoopie Hook is that disconnect point along with being a built in water break. If you are using huggers (two sewn loops, one on each end) then, as you explained, you can larks head the slings on one loop and then pass the entire whoopie sling through the other loop after you wrap around your tree. These leaves your Whoopie hook to attach to your continuous loop that is, of course, attached to your hammock. If you have tree straps (only one sewn loop) then you will need to tie something (and yes a MSH is a tie). The Titanium Dutch Clips adds a second disconnect point making it more convienent to attach your huggers to your selected trees. You do not need to run your whoopie sling around the and no need to pull the amsteel through the loops, just a quick clip and done.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; hooks
    You could always use a Nacrabiner or soft shackle instead of passing kit through loops?

I use Whoopie hooks and love 'em but Nacrabiners make a cheap and lightweight alternative.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast