Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156

    Substitute for more expensive carabiners

    I was at Walmart and while I'm sure this isn't anything new for most folks, I figured I would pass it along for those who hadn't seen these quick links. They are mostly designed to be used for home purposes(hanging stuff from ceilings and what not) but the larger one is rated at 1900 lbs! Now granted it isn't quite as user friendly as a carabiner to open and close( and it is slightly heavier) but they are dirt cheap at 2.97 per link. For those of us on a budget that is a very good thing! It also makes getting set up easier for those that don't have a climbing store nearby but do have a Walmart. They are located usually near the back of the store in the same general area as the tools and home improvement stuff are. Just thought I would pass it along as I have learned so much from this forum and I try to pay it forward whenever I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    If it works for you, it works for you. I've seen people use those before. The only issue I see (and this happens with all kinds of gear) is that many people that bought those eventually buy climbing carabiners or other biners when they get bit by the hammock gear bug. If you are only going to buy once, then $6.00 for a couple of those is good. If you end buying carabiners down the road then you're spending more money in the long run. I've learned from experience to always keep this in mind.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mouseskowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago land
    Hammock
    DIY 1.5 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ & DIY 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    775
    Yup, they're cheep and heavy. Another cheep thing that works for many hammocking applications is a soft shackle that you can make from $.50 or less of Amsteel. You'll have pretty much the full strength of the Amsteel as long as it's loaded along the axis.

  4. #4
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    If it works for you, it works for you. I've seen people use those before. The only issue I see (and this happens with all kinds of gear) is that many people that bought those eventually buy climbing carabiners or other biners when they get bit by the hammock gear bug. If you are only going to buy once, then $6.00 for a couple of those is good. If you end buying carabiners down the road then you're spending more money in the long run. I've learned from experience to always keep this in mind.
    I completely agree. I actually do use full climbing rated carabiners, these guys-http://www.rei.com/product/810823/camp-usa-photon-wire-bent-gate-carabiner- I just wanted to pass it along.

  5. #5
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Yup, they're cheep and heavy. Another cheep thing that works for many hammocking applications is a soft shackle that you can make from $.50 or less of Amsteel. You'll have pretty much the full strength of the Amsteel as long as it's loaded along the axis.
    I had given thought to that. Definitely cheaper and lighter even than the quick links, just even more finicky to use in terms of opening and closing.

  6. #6
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1

    Re: Substitute for more expensive carabiners

    I used them for a while... They work well, but light is said above are heavier... But for a few oz to save a few bucks.... It just depends where you are at in the hammock world, broke or ultralight...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  7. #7
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I used them for a while... They work well, but light is said above are heavier... But for a few oz to save a few bucks.... It just depends where you are at in the hammock world, broke or ultralight...
    Pretty much. for those willing to spend a few bucks this would be the way to go in my opinion(just bought a pair at my local REI a few days ago actually) http://www.rei.com/product/810823/ca...gate-carabiner

    On sale for 2 bucks off per biner and at 29 grams they only an oz a piece! plus they have the advantage of being fully climb rated so you could use them for rock climbing if you needed to.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mouseskowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago land
    Hammock
    DIY 1.5 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ & DIY 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    I had given thought to that. Definitely cheaper and lighter even than the quick links, just even more finicky to use in terms of opening and closing.
    I can't disagree with that. The couple I use never really get touched so it doesn't matter for me. Although those quick links can be a pain if they get wet and start to rust while you're hanging.

  9. #9
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    These are dirt cheap, too. Especially in light of what you are getting, and the fact that they are a one time purchase.
    http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-2...SA-Nano-23.htm
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  10. #10
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    These are dirt cheap, too. Especially in light of what you are getting, and the fact that they are a one time purchase.
    http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-2...SA-Nano-23.htm
    Very nice, pretty similar to what I linked to from REI a few posts ago. wish I had seen these first. Although I had the advantage of just driving to my local REI and not having to deal with shipping costs. Everything else on that website is pretty pricey too for what you get. Given that whoopie slings and the like are ridiculously easy to make and places like DIY Gear Supply sell raw amsteel so cheap, why would people pay so much for premade amsteel products?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •