Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Senior Member KMACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Western CT
    Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Posts
    658
    You can fold their arms and legs in or just stuff them in the pack........thats how I pack my kids

  2. #12
    Senior Member FBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cedar Hill, MO
    Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Posts
    348
    I put together a small first aid kit for my 8 year old daughter's pack. It consisted of a red altoids tin, 3-4 band aids, tweezers, nail clippers and an emery board. Not much, but it gives her a sense of self sufficiency.

    I recently found a small waterproof container for a buck at Goodwill that I'd been eyeing on eBay.



    Since it's bigger than the tin, I've decided to combine her kit with a few emergency fire starting tools like vaseline covered cotton balls and 2-3 matches. Again, it's not much, but if I want her to be responsible, she has to be knowledgeable. I can't expect her to respect something she has no experience with, so next time out I'm helping her make the first fire. I figure, worst case scenario, that's a skill she'll need.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

    The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Springfield,TN
    Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    403

    Re: back packing with kids

    Awesome info. Thank for all the responses. As it sits now with there bag , hammock, sleeping bag diy tq , 1 500 calorie meal replacement protein bar , and clothes they are in the ball park of 9 pounds. I plan to replace their sternum buckle with a whistle one. After water they will be maxed out. And be in the 12 percent range. Now as for the wife and I .... this is where I start to over think it. Lol do I pack more medical stuff or not ? I have a small kit in my day hike bag but I was thinking for a long period of time if something were to happen I would need more supplies? I have the 4 meals of mountain house down to 4 oz. Of fuel. I have the food figured out for the most part using two super cats and two stanley kits with two imusa mugs for the kids for hot chocolate and stuff. I plan on making the boys meals first then I will start the wives and mine. As for snacks that is the same as our day hikes with trail mix , peanut butter cups and celery sticks , protein bars, jerky, and dehydrated fruit as fuel for the body. Right now we only have one water filter but I plan on getting another for the wives bag.

    Is there anything you guys pack when taking the kids that you would pack if you were by yourself? I am just trying to do my home work before I get out there and learn the hard way. I am leaning toward a 58L bag for me and a 38-46L for the wife does that seem about right?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Springfield,TN
    Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    403

    Re: back packing with kids

    Oh yeah I have basic survival kits for me and the wives bag with with fire starting stuff and fishing kit and stuff like that. And I am think of surprising the wife with a kindle as a alternative to a book for the weight savings.

  5. #15
    bayoubomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houma,LA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    360
    Images
    6
    We let our 7 and 8 year old pick their own dehydrated meals and snacks out themselves. They loved being a part of every aspect
    Of the camping trip except the 3 mile hike in. Now they keep asking me "when are we going hiking again", every month since last July.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Springfield,TN
    Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    403

    Re: back packing with kids

    Quote Originally Posted by bayoubomber View Post
    We let our 7 and 8 year old pick their own dehydrated meals and snacks out themselves. They loved being a part of every aspect
    Of the camping trip except the 3 mile hike in. Now they keep asking me "when are we going hiking again", every month since last July.
    I have been getting them involved in it all too. And luckily they like they hike part but I think it stems from mom and dad workout 6 days a week and I guess to them that is a fitness thing that they have to do as a part of life. Because 7 miles in 3.5 hours is pretty good for their little legs lol. And they don't complain about it.

  7. #17
    Detail Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    879
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    ... but if I want her to be responsible, she has to be knowledgeable. I can't expect her to respect something she has no experience with
    That's a wonderful way of saying it. I agree completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    Awesome info. Thank for all the responses. As it sits now with there bag , hammock, sleeping bag diy tq , 1 500 calorie meal replacement protein bar , and clothes they are in the ball park of 9 pounds. I plan to replace their sternum buckle with a whistle one. After water they will be maxed out. And be in the 12 percent range. Now as for the wife and I .... this is where I start to over think it. Lol do I pack more medical stuff or not ? I have a small kit in my day hike bag but I was thinking for a long period of time if something were to happen I would need more supplies? I have the 4 meals of mountain house down to 4 oz. Of fuel. I have the food figured out for the most part using two super cats and two stanley kits with two imusa mugs for the kids for hot chocolate and stuff. I plan on making the boys meals first then I will start the wives and mine. As for snacks that is the same as our day hikes with trail mix , peanut butter cups and celery sticks , protein bars, jerky, and dehydrated fruit as fuel for the body. Right now we only have one water filter but I plan on getting another for the wives bag.

    Is there anything you guys pack when taking the kids that you would pack if you were by yourself? I am just trying to do my home work before I get out there and learn the hard way. I am leaning toward a 58L bag for me and a 38-46L for the wife does that seem about right?
    You're on the right track. Here's some specific comments on your list. These are based on my experience, HYOH.

    Try swapping out the sleeping bag or clothes if you think the weight might be a concern. A small Smartwater, or 20oz Gatorade bottle is plenty for kids. Fill it up half way, and add to it from yours as needed. THis is a quick way to lighten their load.

    1st aid kits can get heavy in a hurry. I carry the same one no matter if I'm solo or with kids. Carrying enough to play EMT is no replacement for being careful to start with.

    Your cookkits are a place to lighten the load. Think about taking only one stove and one of the Imusa (or two stoves and both Imusa). The Stanley kits are nice, but a little heavy for bpacking. Then take Gladware bowls with cozies for everyone. This will weigh less, and the kids have mug/bowls with secure lids. Or just eat out of the bag. Antigravity gear sells them, but I made mine. http://www.antigravitygear.com/antig...d-zip-mug.html

    One water filter is plenty.

    Pack size seems about right. Consider a few feet of cord to lash a stuff sack of kid stuff to an adult pack if necessary.

    Add some trail bait the kids are unaware of, some special treat they don't get often, that's easy to pack. The little mini candy bars are one idea. I use them after a tiresome climb, or upon getting to the destination, back to the car, etc. Our culture has issues with rewarding behavior with food, but when hiking food is an appropriate reward.

    Homework is good, but don't beat a dead horse. Try it and see what works.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Springfield,TN
    Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    403

    Re: back packing with kids

    Thanks for all the info.

  9. #19
    New Member static4841's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Suspension
    DIY
    Posts
    10
    I am glad I came across this topic. I will be taking my 7 year old on his first backpacking trip in a few weeks. His birthday is coming up and will be getting his own pack. I have been thinking about what I should have carry. Thanks for all the great information.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Brunswick, nj
    Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    354
    I usually carry a deck of cards or some light game. Helps fill some time if you get to the campsite early.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •