HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Michigan Hikes

How's it going everyone? Trying to get a little advice from my fellow michiganders and other frequent michigan hikers on their favorite spots to hike. What trails do you guys enjoy the most?

Cazador

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Not much to add on this topic but one of the first places I ever went was Pictured Rocks. Very nice.

Michigan's got lots of great hiking, it just depends on how far you want to drive and how much time you've got. For a quick overnight that's close to home, Pinckney rec area is a nice 24 hour getaway. I like the Jordan river pathway, hoist lakes, and the NCT-MRT (heading there on Friday ). If you've got some time, check out either of the Manitou Islands. The UP is my favorite place, with PIRO, Porcupines, Tacquemon Falls, Grand Island, lots of NCT segments...the list goes on and on. IMO, Isle Royale is no doubt the holy grail of backpacking. Took my very first trip there, so it means a lot to me.

If you don't have it, pickup a copy of Jim Dufresnes Michigan Backpacking book or check him out online at michigantrailmaps.com. See you on the trail!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll have to pick up that book! I've been looking at the MRT-NCT trail. How long does it normally take you to do the how loop?

I usually do it as a 3 day loop, clockwise, starting at red bridge and head up the NCT trail. First night is around 8 miles, stopping at Eddington creek. Next data continue on north and cross over the bridge to the MRT side. Lots of great campsites north and south of slagle creek. Last day is usually 4-6 miles, making for an easy drive back home. I did it once as a 2 day, but it was tough because I did about 15 miles before I stopped for the day...rain came that night and I hiked out in a downpour. Total loop is around 22 miles or so.

Summer weekends it's pretty busy, so I usually try to hit it mid week to avoid the crowds.

Hey, this is my 100th post
    Last edited by michigandave; 04-21-2013 at 16:41.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna make that trail my first good trip with my Hennessy Hammock. I'm looking forward to it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The Manistee River trail From the Hopendale Dam to Redbridge is very nice I have only done it in the Winter Snowshoeing. It is about 10 miles with great campsites !

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I'll have to pick up that book! I've been looking at the MRT-NCT trail. How long does it normally take you to do the how loop?
    Forgive me, what is MRT-NCT -- I know the NCT is north country trail, but what is MRT?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Manistee River trail
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Michigan's got lots of great hiking, it just depends on how far you want to drive and how much time you've got. For a quick overnight that's close to home, Pinckney rec area is a nice 24 hour getaway. I like the Jordan river pathway, hoist lakes, and the NCT-MRT (heading there on Friday ). If you've got some time, check out either of the Manitou Islands. The UP is my favorite place, with PIRO, Porcupines, Tacquemon Falls, Grand Island, lots of NCT segments...the list goes on and on. IMO, Isle Royale is no doubt the holy grail of backpacking. Took my very first trip there, so it means a lot to me.

If you don't have it, pickup a copy of Jim Dufresnes Michigan Backpacking book or check him out online at michigantrailmaps.com. See you on the trail!
    Ditto what Dave said. Isle Royale is the holy grail of Michigan backpacking. I had a super family trip with my daughters on North Manitou Island. Easy hiking lots of great views and nice swimming sessions. Next adventure after PIRO will be Grand Island.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast