Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Kammok Roo / Eno DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings

Top Quilt Purchase

I am looking to buy a top quilt. Most of my hanging will be with temps in the 40's to 50's in the evenings. I do not want to limit myself in case I decide to stretch it to 3 seasons. If I get a 20* top quilt and a 20* bottom quilt, will i be too hot at night?...I am a pretty warm sleeper to begin with, if I do have a problem spot it is cold feet sometimes. Tell me what you guys think...I don't mind spending a little extra on the 20* stuff, but want to make sure i am not going to roast.

JDM

Hammock
    AH DL Custom
    Tarp
    AH Big-Sil
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I'm a newbie myself but I think you would be okay just venting the TQ.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo / Eno DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

JDM

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon00 View Post
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

JDM
    I guess it depends on how realistic your three season trips would be. If you'll be dipping down anywhere below 40 soon, I'd start with the 20*. Otherwise, go with the 40.

If it were me, I'd recommend 20* first as I wouldn't want to exclude myself from any trips due to temperature.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

Good luck
    I would concure!

My experience supports what others have said; that warmer on bottom is more important than warmer on top. A 20 UQ with a 40 TQ will be comfy for most in the 30 range.

I might suggest the following products.

MollyMac Shamu UQ (for 50+)
    Any of the cottage shop 40 TQ's
    Any of the cottage shop 20 UQ's (for temps bellow 50)

These 3 will give you a lot of flexibility for temps from 70 down to 30 and maybe lower.

As for TQ specifically I'm partial to the multi-use functionality of the JRB Sniveller series.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Ephesians 6:10-17

Hammock Forums is my social network.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies/biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    I don't think Golite makes their full line of quilts anymore. On their website, the only quilt is a 30 degree down quilt for $249. I heard good things about their older lines of quilts, but it looks like they are going in a different direction.

Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 for the 20* uq and 40* top quilt. This is what I just ordered and I think it'll be perfect. I can vent the quilts in summer if need be and if it gets a little cold for my top quilt then I can jus add layers of clothing like my down jacket.