Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    New Member Falkon00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hesperia, CA
    Hammock
    Kammok Roo / Eno DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Posts
    13

    Top Quilt Purchase

    I am looking to buy a top quilt. Most of my hanging will be with temps in the 40's to 50's in the evenings. I do not want to limit myself in case I decide to stretch it to 3 seasons. If I get a 20* top quilt and a 20* bottom quilt, will i be too hot at night?...I am a pretty warm sleeper to begin with, if I do have a problem spot it is cold feet sometimes. Tell me what you guys think...I don't mind spending a little extra on the 20* stuff, but want to make sure i am not going to roast.

    JDM

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Verona, VA
    Hammock
    AH DL Custom
    Tarp
    AH Big-Sil
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Posts
    25
    I'm a newbie myself but I think you would be okay just venting the TQ.

  3. #3
    breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    Posts
    1,807
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  4. #4
    New Member Falkon00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hesperia, CA
    Hammock
    Kammok Roo / Eno DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

    JDM

  5. #5
    Moondoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Radford,Va.
    Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Posts
    501
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

  6. #6
    breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon00 View Post
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

    JDM
    I guess it depends on how realistic your three season trips would be. If you'll be dipping down anywhere below 40 soon, I'd start with the 20*. Otherwise, go with the 40.

    If it were me, I'd recommend 20* first as I wouldn't want to exclude myself from any trips due to temperature.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    263
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

    Good luck

  8. #8
    AaronAlso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Posts
    709
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

    Good luck
    I would concure!

    My experience supports what others have said; that warmer on bottom is more important than warmer on top. A 20 UQ with a 40 TQ will be comfy for most in the 30 range.

    I might suggest the following products.


    MollyMac Shamu UQ (for 50+)
    Any of the cottage shop 40 TQ's
    Any of the cottage shop 20 UQ's (for temps bellow 50)

    These 3 will give you a lot of flexibility for temps from 70 down to 30 and maybe lower.

    As for TQ specifically I'm partial to the multi-use functionality of the JRB Sniveller series.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

    Ephesians 6:10-17

    Hammock Forums is my social network.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies/biner
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    I don't think Golite makes their full line of quilts anymore. On their website, the only quilt is a 30 degree down quilt for $249. I heard good things about their older lines of quilts, but it looks like they are going in a different direction.

  10. #10
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    +1 for the 20* uq and 40* top quilt. This is what I just ordered and I think it'll be perfect. I can vent the quilts in summer if need be and if it gets a little cold for my top quilt then I can jus add layers of clothing like my down jacket.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •