Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    None yet
    If the Noah tarp leak's, would there be a problem with rewaterproofing the tarp?

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.

Noah's Tarp 12x12 for ENO doublenest?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    If the Noah tarp leak's, would there be a problem with rewaterproofing the tarp?
    I wouldn't see why not. I have used one of the spray treatments on tent rainflys with good results. I will do my 12 with out hesitation.

My buddy and I both have them (and I use a eno single) and they've worked great. Been in heavy rain with no problems, plus lots of setup options.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I have the 9 and the 12 and, based on my experience, I don't think I'd recommend one to a friend. My 9 leaked after being used just a couple of times -- the waterproof coating seems to have "delaminated" or failed somehow. Kelty said send it back to them, so I did. They sent it right back to me, saying it had been used too long to be warranted!

My 12 has also only been used a couple of times. It works fine. It stood up to some very strong winds and a couple of days of all-day drizzle on it's second outing last fall in the Adirondacks. The multiple cat cuts make the tarp attractive when pitched and very resistant to flapping and wind damage. Plenty of tie-out loops make it easy to get set up.

If I hadn't had the bad experience with the 9 (and Kelty's customer service), I would be happy with the 16, other than its weight and bulk.

For another 30 or 40 dollars, you can get a silnylon tarp that is far lighter and packs down much smaller.

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    That is surprising to hear of that failure. I've had one for about eight years, and it is still more bomb-proof than any of my silnylon tarps. The PU coating will degrade if left in the sun or heat for too long though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That is surprising to hear of that failure. I've had one for about eight years, and it is still more bomb-proof than any of my silnylon tarps. The PU coating will degrade if left in the sun or heat for too long though.
    After reading all the positive reports, I'm assuming my problem was an isolated one. I've been hiking and camping for thirty+ years and take good care of my gear.

I bought the tarp and used it once briefly (one night) in clear weather, then put it in the gear box. Years later, I pulled it out to use with my first hammock. It seemed kind of stuck to itself when I unrolled/unfolded it, and leaked like a sieve on the first night of what was supposed to be a four-day late fall trip, forcing me to abort the trip.

The 12 has worked perfectly in the few times (five days/nights total) I've used it.

The issue with the 9 has shaken my faith in the Noah's Tarps though, and I've switched to sylNylon types. They've seen considerably more use with no problems so far.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12