Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    Senior Member Slo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,110
    Images
    24
    You know, it's been quite a while since I've seen a tick in the woods or a tick on me in the woods. However, since I've moved to the townhouse we're in now, multiple years I've found ticks inside. Usually see them crawling down the wall. Dog is treated and never find them on the couch or carpet.. usually on the ceiling or coming down from it. No idear but it is definitely an odd occurrence.
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

    - George Strait

  2. #12
    grannypat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the woods outside of Westminster, SC
    Hammock
    DIY, HH Exped BE
    Tarp
    Tadpole/Purple Pal
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Posts
    2,751
    OK, now my skin feels all crawly and I have the urge to buy a chicken on a choke chain.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

  3. #13
    Senior Member Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Paoli, PA
    Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Posts
    435
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Felt something tickling my back in my apartment today. Went to scratch it and pulled out a tick. Geez, I haven't been near the woods. All I've done is take my dog walking around the apartment complex. I'm sure the dog picked it up and gave it to me.

    Then I read about this new tick disease some woman in NJ got, borrelia miyamotoi bacterial infection.

    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...-tick-disease/

    Man, I hate ticks. Heading out to the Pine Barrens this weekend and I'm gonna gargle with permethrin and bathe in it.

    Well as a PCO you are clearly off base here - your dog didn't give it to you, and the woods wasn't involved this time...

    Here is what you need to know. Ticks and Mosquitoes share a legacy. The Ticks need mice to grow up from a larval stage. Mosquitoes need standing brackish water to breed. So as blood sucking insects go... SBU

    1. wear white clothing
    2. Use a liquid deet product
    3. sawyer permethrin spray treated clothing on the outside surface recommended.


    So I am thinking Ultrathon or Sawyer controlled release ... When a few folks post I will add some answers.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

  4. #14
    Senior Member Slo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,110
    Images
    24
    WOO, any other way for them to get in your house aside from mice? We've got a pack of 5 feral cats in our complex and 2 in the house. I've never seen any rodent except spiders and ticks. Never had a tick just crawling through my house until this point. Could it be because of a particular type of plant or tree type in my area or anything? They're always full grown when I see them.
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

    - George Strait

  5. #15
    gunner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Beaufort, NC
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Posts
    5,811
    Images
    39
    Come on down and visit us. We have ticks all year down here.
    Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang

    www.neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

    Hammock Gear Time Line ..............Hammock Friendly Sites in NC

    I am 18 with 42 years of experience.

    Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !

    Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF

  6. #16
    Junebugdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    loops/Dutch Buckle
    Posts
    1,551
    I think I picked 4 off of myself at the Smoked Butt Hang, but only the first and second day. This made me wonder...did the rain we received make them hide out or were they not attracted to my scent after two days?? Hmmmm.

  7. #17
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,046
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well as a PCO you are clearly off base here - your dog didn't give it to you, and the woods wasn't involved this time...

    Here is what you need to know. Ticks and Mosquitoes share a legacy. The Ticks need mice to grow up from a larval stage. Mosquitoes need standing brackish water to breed. So as blood sucking insects go... SBU

    1. wear white clothing
    2. Use a liquid deet product
    3. sawyer permethrin spray treated clothing on the outside surface recommended.

    So I am thinking Ultrathon or Sawyer controlled release ... When a few folks post I will add some answers.
    Not following you at all. My dog goes in the brush when he walks, I don't. He gets ticks and brings them home because I pull them off him. I don't need a PCO to tell me that.

    I've never heard of ticks infesting a house, but I found a lot of people with stories on the Internet. However, I don't think my apartment is infested.

    I don't have mice in my house, and I am definitely not wearing white clothing or liquid deet in my house, nor is my family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    You know, it's been quite a while since I've seen a tick in the woods or a tick on me in the woods. However, since I've moved to the townhouse we're in now, multiple years I've found ticks inside. Usually see them crawling down the wall. Dog is treated and never find them on the couch or carpet.. usually on the ceiling or coming down from it. No idear but it is definitely an odd occurrence.
    You need to come to the NJ Pine Barrens so you can see the tick in his native environment!

  8. #18
    silentorpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well as a PCO you are clearly off base here - your dog didn't give it to you, and the woods wasn't involved this time...

    Here is what you need to know. Ticks and Mosquitoes share a legacy. The Ticks need mice to grow up from a larval stage. Mosquitoes need standing brackish water to breed. So as blood sucking insects go... SBU

    1. wear white clothing
    2. Use a liquid deet product
    3. sawyer permethrin spray treated clothing on the outside surface recommended.


    So I am thinking Ultrathon or Sawyer controlled release ... When a few folks post I will add some answers.
    What is a PCO?

    What does SBU mean?

    I'm confused.

  9. #19
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    I've pulled seven off the Aussie in the last month and two off the Mighty Mutt. I had one crawling on my neck a couple of nights ago. I live in a Town Home Development, lots of bushes and dogs love bushes. I just finished soaking all my hiking clothes, quilts and hammock in Permethrin in preparation of my hike Sunday.

  10. #20
    silentorpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    I've pulled seven off the Aussie in the last month and two off the Mighty Mutt. I had one crawling on my neck a couple of nights ago. I live in a Town Home Development, lots of bushes and dogs love bushes. I just finished soaking all my hiking clothes, quilts and hammock in Permethrin in preparation of my hike Sunday.
    Not to hijack too much, but where you getting your Permethrin? Only thing I found was the Sawyer spray, and that's 'spensive. Certainly not enough it to 'soak' anything.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •