Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    MHW 20 bag HHSS

Lyme

We had a Lyme treatment center here in Cape May but it's not here now The doctors were the very best. If it was within the first week of the bite a blood and urine DNA test was done...that is when the bacteria is still in the blood stream before it begins attacking the organs. Now you are lucky if a family doc gives you 3 weeks of meds. The treatment center is sorely missed. There is a lab in Vermont that you can send a tick to and for 50.00 have it tested so you know if the one that bit you carries Lyme. I never never never use tweezers matches or whatever..Me my family and friends all use tick scoops from various companies but the favorite is from Ticked Off. The CDC says to use tweezers...well if you didnt get the bacteria you very well can accidentally squeeze it in with tweezers...

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    I've pulled two of with a Tick Key and found it much easier than any other way I've tried before. Now I have one on my keychain so I will have it handy everywhere I go.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: First tick of the year

Quote Originally Posted by cpverne View Post
    I've pulled two of with a Tick Key and found it much easier than any other way I've tried before. Now I have one on my keychain so I will have it handy everywhere I go.
    I agree and the Tick Key doesn't squeeze the tick at all.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: First tick of the year

Wow! I had no idea that the test was not very effective at diagnosing the disease. He only took two weeks of Doxycycline. I really wish they had given him 4 weeks worth. He hasn't had anymore symptoms, but I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the info.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Then again - SilvrSurfr and I have gone on two trips into the Pine Barrens so far this spring/summer. And I haven't seen a single tick. Treated my clothing with permethrin - so maybe that's helped.

Not that I'm complaining ...
    I guess it's the permethrin that makes the difference. We sprayed down pretty well the last two trips! Last year I pulled quite a few ticks off me, but I wasn't bathing in permethrin like this year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I guess it's the permethrin that makes the difference. We sprayed down pretty well the last two trips! Last year I pulled quite a few ticks off me, but I wasn't bathing in permethrin like this year.
    I'm still so far ( fingers crossed!) 100% tick ( have not seen one) or mossy bite free( a few have flown close to me a few times) X several years, when using my combo of Perm treated clothing plus Picaridin on exposed skin. And that is off trail hiking even occasionally on the edges swamps in MS. And you know dang well we have plenty of both everywhere in MS.

It has probably been nearly 6 weeks, so probably time to treat again. For the most part, I store the clothes closed up in a trash bag after treating or using/washing. Though not always.

But there has been at least one report of a tick on the head of a person wearing a Perm soaked hat! I'm still trying to figure that one out. But I wonder if they also put Deet or Picaridin on the skin of the face/neck and hair not covered by the hat? ( I think that is in a dif thread). Because if not, would it be possible for a tick to fall on your neck from a tree or shoulder (he didn't say if the shirt was treated), then crawl up your neck/head under your hair, with the hair(if you have any) supplying a barrier between tick and perm treated hat? ( I need to post this question over in that thread I guess)

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567