Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC Lefty
    Tarp
    WB Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo/JRB
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Posts
    271

    UCR vs Whoopie Sling questions

    I've been reading the forum looking for the solution but haven't found the answers.

    1 - What does UCR mean?
    2 - What are the advantages of one over the other?

    There are vids to make them both and I just made a set of whoopies when I decided to investigate what a UCR is and how or would compare.

    Thanks in advance for the answers guys. Cheers.
    Brady

  2. #2
    Caveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Springtown, Tx.
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Posts
    2,007
    Utility Constrictor Rope

    I've switched all my hammocks from whoopies to UCRs. I love 'em, but some prefer the whoopies. You just won't know til you try 'em.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

  3. #3
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1

    Re: UCR vs Whoopie Sling questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've been reading the forum looking for the solution but haven't found the answers.

    1 - What does UCR mean?
    2 - What are the advantages of one over the other?

    There are vids to make them both and I just made a set of whoopies when I decided to investigate what a UCR is and how or would compare.

    Thanks in advance for the answers guys. Cheers.
    UCR stands for utility constrictor rope...

    The advantages of the UCR is less cord because the rope doesn't double over itself like on a whoopie... So that makes it lighter, less bulk, and less tangles...

    You can unmake a whoopie and turn it into a UCR if you just think a little, and you will have some cordage left over for a continuous loop or dog bone which ever you need more of...

    I started with whoopies and have converted everything to UCRs now... Just remember to milk the bury before you put load on it or it may slide on you...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  4. #4
    Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC Lefty
    Tarp
    WB Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo/JRB
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Posts
    271
    Thanks fellas. Cleared it right up. Cheers!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Hammock
    woot.com yukon
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    whatever i can get
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Posts
    100
    Images
    3
    I use a Dutchware UCR for my structural ridge line. It's got a ton more adjustability than a similar whoopie is capable of.


    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Just remember to milk the bury before you put load on it or it may slide on you...
    You can tie the end of the loose end into a prusik knot that will help hold everything steady.

  6. #6
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1

    Re: UCR vs Whoopie Sling questions

    Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    You can tie the end of the loose end into a prusik knot that will help hold everything steady.
    Yessir... But it will still slip... I have a 3-4 wrap prusik on mine, but it will still slip a little if I loosen up the bury and then sit on it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Hammock
    woot.com yukon
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    whatever i can get
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Posts
    100
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Yessir... But it will still slip... I have a 3-4 wrap prusik on mine, but it will still slip a little if I loosen up the bury and then sit on it...
    Ah, yes, I gotcha now. Yeah, you need to make sure everything is in a static state before applying weight to the hammock.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •