using a full-zip hammock like a peapod or similar

*Sorry, I made a mistake in the title, it should read 'full-zip sleeping bag'*

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to hammocking overnight and I was looking for a 1-2 season bag and I stumbled across this https://www.vango.co.uk/travel/planet-50.html which has a two-way zipper which goes all the way around the feet (more like a square bag than a mummy style). I'm thinking that I could thread a hammock through the bag (like the grand truck bag) and all I lose is most of the use of the hood and bug-net. My hammock has no netting of it's own, so if it's really buggy I'd probably just use the sleeping bag normally, but if it's that buggy it'll probably not be too cold. would it be worthwhile pursuing this idea or am I missing something really obvious?
    Last edited by JoeB; 04-29-2013 at 10:32.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    You might be able to make use of your hood, after all. I took a 3/4 zip bag and put an opening at the foot and the back of the hood, then sewed in velcro to close the openings when I need. All you would need to do is add an opening to the back of the hood. If you run a ridge line, you can easily hang a bug net.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
    *Sorry, I made a mistake in the title, it should read 'full-zip sleeping bag'*

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to hammocking overnight and I was looking for a 1-2 season bag and I stumbled across this https://www.vango.co.uk/travel/planet-50.html which has a two-way zipper which goes all the way around the feet (more like a square bag than a mummy style). I'm thinking that I could thread a hammock through the bag (like the grand truck bag) and all I lose is most of the use of the hood and bug-net. My hammock has no netting of it's own, so if it's really buggy I'd probably just use the sleeping bag normally, but if it's that buggy it'll probably not be too cold. would it be worthwhile pursuing this idea or am I missing something really obvious?
    I have done this ,just last weekend. it works well as long as the bag is long enough, also I learned that the loose end of the bag tends to hang low , very low. What I plan to do is sew a loop of webbing to the inside of the loose corner then run my suspension through it. So that it doesn't hang and create an air gap. I also plan to sew shock cord around the "head end" so as to draw it tight to you, getting a better seal.
    Last edited by visionarylion; 04-29-2013 at 20:31. Reason: spelling
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Thanks for the responses, as soon as I get the money together I'll give it a try. The DIY tips sound like they'll come in very useful

Hammock
    DIY gathered end/bridge custom
    Insulation
    DIY tq & uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

using a full-zip hammock like a peapod or similar

Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    I have done this ,just last weekend. it works well as long as the bag is long enough, also I learned that the loose end of the bag tends to hang low , very low. What I plan to do is sew a loop of webbing to the inside of the loose corner then run my suspension through it. So that it doesn't hang and create an air gap. I also plan to sew shock cord around the "head end" so as to draw it tight to you, getting a better seal.
    I just got a TNF bag from my non-outdoors mom and it has sewn in loops on the foot end, so I'll use it as a peapod in fall/winter since it is a -10 to 20°F bag.
    Last edited by Matt-138; 12-27-2013 at 08:06.
    Hangin' everywhere

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here is an excellent thread on the topic...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27503

I used FourDog's suggestion and got a Wiggy's Freedom Shelter bag (formerly Ecotat) to use as a pea pod and it works amazingly well. I got it from a local supplier up here in Canada.

Features to look for:
    1. Draw string foot closure to cinch around the foot end of the hammock
    2. Center zip for quick and easy in and out.

You can still supplement the system with over/underquilts or pads to add more warmth. Right now I have a shock cord clipped to the hood to keep it tight against the bottom of the hammock like an underquilt. And a diagonal lay is possible inside this bag. If I get brave, I may open the hood and add a shock corded channel to the opening so I can cinch it to the hammock like the foot end is.

Here's mine...

Also, here's FourDog demo'ing the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggs-El77oQo

Shug's another guy you should talk to. His deep cold system involves a sleeping bag rigged like a pod. Cheers!
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts