Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Ripstop, taffeta or both?

I'm having a hard time deciding which material to go for with a Dream Hammock. I have never had the chance to see or lie in a taffeta hammock, therefore I'm not sure if it's worth the weight penalty. In all likelihood, my hammock will be an 11 footer (don't know which width, yet) and a double layer because I will be using a pad.

Up to now I have used 1.0, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.7 ripstop hammocks. I love the weight and softness of the 1.0 hammock. But I have to admit that 1.5/1.7 provides a more comfortable lay.

Anybody tried taffeta and ripstop and can share their experiences?

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to mix materials, e.g. outer layer taffeta, inner layer 1.0 ripstop. Or outer layer 1.7 ripstop, inner layer 1.0 ripstop. Any opinions on that?

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The Taffeta feels similar to the fabric used by Eno, Grand Trunk and similar brands. It's softer than ripstop, but it's also going to be heavier and may not pack as small as ripstop.

For backpacking, I prefer the lightweight nylon, but in my backyard I use a Grand Trunk because I like the feel of the parachute nylon.

Either will make a great hammock, just depends on how important weight is to you.

I had the roaming gnome by Dream Hammocks. It is a great hammock with lots of excellent features. But those features add weight, and being made of taffeta added even more weight. More than I wanted in a backpacking hammock. If, or when, I buy another roaming gnome, it will be in a lightweight fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My preference is taffeta but remember opinions are like belly buttons... everybody has one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a single layer 2.6 taffeta dangerbird and it packs down pretty small and is crazy comfy. not exactly sure about the weight of it though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I've got a taffeta tablecloth, and I think it's great. If I was to get another hammock, I'd just get a longer tablecloth.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Have you looked at the poly 2.3? I had a chance to lay in Papa Smurf's Tbird at the MAHHA and loved the lay and feel. I have not tried the taffeta so u fortunately I cannot compare the two. Maybe worth considering a heavier material inside for feel/lay and a lighter one outside to hold your padding. I am on queue for a dangerbird, likely will upgrade to a TB before getting into the production stage, but am going with the extra oz's to get that comfy lay.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the input. It seems the heavier fabric is preferred. Not sure, though, if I want to carry the extra weight. Wish there was some 1.0 tafetta...

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I prefer the ripstop in the lighter weights but taffeta feels softer once 1.9oz is reached. If unconcerned about weight, go taffeta,,,jmho,,,Bush

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP writes in text about 1.0 (nylon). But his profile shows him with a double layer 1.0, and I doubt the second layer is lighter than 1.0.

So, he starts with 2oz / sq yd, and a single layer hammock of 2.3 oz fabric will be less than 10% heavier if the rest of the necessary parts are the same weight.

Dream Hammock provides an online calculator with weights for every possible fabric option. My experience with numbers is that everyone likes to futz and fool themselves by neglecting elements that may add up to several oz or 150g. Like the stuff-sack, differences in suspension, or differences in size and included features. [The kids' joke of 50 years ago applies: How to lose 10 lbs of ugly fat? Cut off your head!! Similarly,] How can my Ridge Runner be lighter than yours? I cut off the saddlebags!! Two and more years ago, WBBB were the lightest hammocks, and we were reminded of that oh, so often. Recently WBO released a larger, more feature-laden hammock, and nobody dares to note that it is heavier, or to call it "feature-lead-en." (Lead as in Pb = pun)

When Sgt. Rock writes up his UL rig, he is explicit in the compromises he makes in trying to reach the bleeding edge of lightness, including durability and even lost comfort from a Cuben hammock bed, and a short one at that.

Finally, hand feel is one thing. Local and global stretch is quite another, and I look forward to explicit description and photos of the same body in hammocks of the same size. [Did your butt really get so heavy and large, or is it just that hammock you are wearing?]

Once a body is adapted to one notion of comfort for body parts and angles, it requires re-adaptation to see if another design can be comfortable. Sometimes different works better, sometimes not. I am used to a nylon fabric that is locally non-stretchy. So hammocks that ARE stretchy don't work well after 30 minutes of trial. If you sleep refreshed and without back pain with some level of support, no amount of 'great hand-feel' is going to be preferred over a sore back if stretch causes that soreness.

Last: I doubt much that 2oz+ wt polyester hammocks are as durable as nylon ones. I suspect them to be less tolerant of nicks and abrasion.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I didn't realize that poly is not as tough as nylon.

In all likelihood, I'm going to stick with 1.0/1.0 due to weight savings. Between my Blackbirds I always pick the 1.0 DL over the 1.7 DL when I'm travelling, simply because it packs smaller and is significantly lighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast