WBRR & ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah12 & SpinDrift
    Insulation
    LynxUQ & Kelty Bag
    Suspension
    DIY WS & Dutch

Underquilt Baffle Design

I've noticed that some UQs have radial baffles (those that go across the body) and other have longitudinal baffles (those that run from head to foot). What are the advantages and disadvantages of each and which is considered better?

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I imagine both have issues with down shifting to the center/bottom. I would assume that in the radial the down shifts away from your sides and shoulders, and in the longitudinal the down shifts away from head and foot. This and wet performance is why I use synthetics

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Actually, a propperly stuffed high quality (800+FP) down quilt shouldn't experince noticeable shifting of the down unless it is wet of very dirty. Lower quality down is more likely to clump with age is my understanding.

As for the baffle configuration there is a commonly held belief that radial baffles are more suseptable to sifting than longitudinal ones. Maybe that is true, but I think that with high quality down it is a moot point. Personally, I like the snuggliness of the radial baffles, ala JRB.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Ephesians 6:10-17

Hammock Forums is my social network.