Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    474

    Dangerbird v Thunderbird.. decisions, decisions..

    I am on the waiting list for a Dangerbird but I am having a difficult time deciding whether to upgrade to the TB or not. Here are my issues:

    I like the DB because I can get it with multiple zippers so that it can be unzipped from the middle (I have it configured so it will unzip from the middle on the left only and from the top on the right). I also somewhat like that you can attach both covers and have the netting over your head and tc over your feet (granted a gap in between the two), but this is not a deal breaker.

    I like the TB because I can remove the top cover and/or the netting and reduce weight/ pack volume in the seasons where I don't need them.

    Ideally, I could have both removable covers and multiple zips, but that is not an option so this is what I am considering - I am thinking about going with the TB but my concern is reaching the zipper to close all the way up by the head end. I am 5'6" and don't have the reach of many. I consider that if I have to schooch around in the hammock to close, it could possibly make my UQ move off my shoulder, etc. To open the zipper, PapaSmurf puts a pull tab on the inside zipper for ease of reach.

    I am thinking about putting a micro biner at the head end around the RL to be used as a pulley and attach some lightweight cord to the zipper (detachable), up through the biner. This way, I could pull on the cord to zip the zipper up to the top. I was also thinking about some "dutch clip" or loop that the cord could pass through so I could find it in the dark.

    Anyone ever done something like this or have other suggestions?
    John aka Suede

  2. #2
    Couple of thoughts.
    • I am only 5'9" and have no problems reaching up and opening and closing the zippers at the head end (10ft DB) though a little longer zipper pull may make finding the zipper a bit easier, especially for that 2:00 am call of nature.
    • I haven't experienced any problem with UQ shifting while reaching for the zipper either.
    • As a scout leader, we are camping every month of the year. I like the DB having the netting and top cover attached so I don't have to think about what is in the bag for each trip. Mind you I don't do any high end backpacking. so weight is not a big issue.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

  3. #3
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Couple of thoughts.
    I am only 5'9" and have no problems reaching up and opening and closing the zippers at the head end (10ft DB) though a little longer zipper pull may make finding the zipper a bit easier, especially for that 2:00 am call of nature.
    I haven't experienced any problem with UQ shifting while reaching for the zipper either.
    As a scout leader, we are camping every month of the year. I like the DB having the netting and top cover attached so I don't have to think about what is in the bag for each trip. Mind you I don't do any high end backpacking. so weight is not a big issue.
    Thanks Artjrk. I may be dreaming up issues that I don't already have yet, but I know moving around in my WBBB can cause my UQ to slide off my shoulder.

    I don't know if 3 inches will make a reach difference but PapaSmurf said he had to schooch up to zip and he's just a bit taller than i am.

    For me being able to detach the tc or netting is work the weight savings over some zipper convenience.
    John aka Suede

  4. #4
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Varies each trip
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    I consider that if I have to schooch around in the hammock to close, it could possibly make my UQ move off my shoulder, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Couple of thoughts.
    • I haven't experienced any problem with UQ shifting while reaching for the zipper either.
    This is where the pack hook tie-out system that the ThunderBird uses might be handy?
    It's still real early and extensive tests have not been done, but I have hooked my 3/4 HG UQ suspension over the shoulder and foot pack hooks on the hammock and it does help hold it in a good asym position. For me, this seems to work out just right, but results will very with different sized UQ and different sized people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    PapaSmurf said he had to schooch up to zip and he's just a bit taller than i am.
    PapaSmurf is a short, fat guy only "three apples tall".
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 05-09-2013 at 13:57.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Posts
    321
    Images
    1

    My Solution

    I like the DangerBird 72 DL it is very roomy and easy to set-up. With BB I feel that the bug netting system is always on my way, but not with DB. My SB is as roomy as DB but there is a fiddle factor with the netting suspension. On the other hand with SB I can turn it upside down and sleep without netting and that is as roomy as it gets. Though then I loose inside hammock pockets. I like the SB zippers better than on my basic DB. But SB is not big enough for winter use, stuff keeps bouncing out from it. And DB has the weather cover which is very nice at windy weather. But DB is bit bulky.

    So, it is not easy as we all probably know.

    My universal solution will be RoamingGnome 11 feet 60" wide 3 zipper pulls for both sides. Single layer (I use pad but IMHO it is easier when I can adjust it's position when it is directly under me not between layers). Here we have insects always when it is summer, so netting is needed always. Roomy enough, very easy setup, big enough for winter use also. But how about the weather cover.

    My solution would be Warbonnets sock with custom option zippers both side (PapaSmurf does not make a copy of the design He said). It protects also my butt or optional UQ from the wind. And the netting in it's bag makes no real weight difference during winter time when there is lots of heavy gear involved anyway.

    I made a query few months ago and now because Warbonnet has a 11' hammock they will at some point make a 11' sock for it.

    Now if I only could make my mind about the material of my future RoamingGnome. Currently pondering between Slate blue Ripstop Nylon 1.9 or Apple green 2.3 polyester crinkle taffeta or Olive green 1.8 nylon taffeta.
    Last edited by voivalin; 05-09-2013 at 05:14.

  6. #6
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,335
    I just received my ThunderBird yesterday, and I put it up as soon as I got off work. I sold my DangerBird to a friend who loved the ACU Digital Camo (I wanted one in night grid camo), so I order another DangerBird. When the ThunderBird came out, I asked Randy to change my order. I am so glad I did.
    Here is my take on it:
    First, you have to sacrifice one thing for another in some cases. I had to sacrifice the triple zip for the ability to remove the netting or cover, but I feel it is worth it. I also had to sacrifice the ability to half zip the cover and half zip the netting, to get that partial cover over my upper body to keep the sun off. (I sometimes like to sleep in, and don't want the sun waking me up) However, I do like the ability to leave either the netting or cover at home if I don't need it, but you can also keep both because they clip in so they won't get lost. I love, love, love the clips for the UQ and the tie outs. Did I say I love the clips??
    If I were doing a long extended hike (ie, AT Thru hike) I would take both net and cover, but it is nice to be able to lighten up my load on shorter hikes, when only one is needed.
    If you are set on a DangerBird, I would recommend talking to Randy to see if he can put the clips on it, and then you would have an awesome DangerBird.
    I love the DangerBird and the ThunderBird. It is more of an individual preference as to which one will better suit your needs. Also, I love the night grid camo (just wish it came in 1.0 or 1.1). I will be hanging out in my ThunderBird this weekend. Thank you Randy for an awesome, awesome hammock.

    One more thing, if you are only 5'6, I would recommend the 10 ft ThunderBird so you can zip it up easier. I do like your idea of the biner as a so called pulley. Good luck to you in making your decision. I love the ThunderBird......
    Happy Hangin!!!


    AKA BajaHanger

    You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I just received my ThunderBird yesterday, and I put it up as soon as I got off work. I sold my DangerBird to a friend who loved the ACU Digital Camo (I wanted one in night grid camo), so I order another DangerBird. When the ThunderBird came out, I asked Randy to change my order. I am so glad I did.
    Here is my take on it:
    First, you have to sacrifice one thing for another in some cases. I had to sacrifice the triple zip for the ability to remove the netting or cover, but I feel it is worth it. I also had to sacrifice the ability to half zip the cover and half zip the netting, to get that partial cover over my upper body to keep the sun off. (I sometimes like to sleep in, and don't want the sun waking me up) However, I do like the ability to leave either the netting or cover at home if I don't need it, but you can also keep both because they clip in so they won't get lost. I love, love, love the clips for the UQ and the tie outs. Did I say I love the clips??
    If I were doing a long extended hike (ie, AT Thru hike) I would take both net and cover, but it is nice to be able to lighten up my load on shorter hikes, when only one is needed.
    If you are set on a DangerBird, I would recommend talking to Randy to see if he can put the clips on it, and then you would have an awesome DangerBird.
    I love the DangerBird and the ThunderBird. It is more of an individual preference as to which one will better suit your needs. Also, I love the night grid camo (just wish it came in 1.0 or 1.1). I will be hanging out in my ThunderBird this weekend. Thank you Randy for an awesome, awesome hammock.

    One more thing, if you are only 5'6, I would recommend the 10 ft ThunderBird so you can zip it up easier. I do like your idea of the biner as a so called pulley. Good luck to you in making your decision. I love the ThunderBird......
    Thanks for your review Baha! I did convert my order to a thunderbird for same reasons you pointed out. I will not need a cover in the summer so would prefer not to carry it, saving a few oz. I was intrigued with the night grid camo in. A heavier taffeta as compared to the 2.3 acy poly I ordered. I almost went for it to save a few more oz but liked the poly when I layed in it at Mahha. Probably not a huge difference in stretch but like the drier feel, but then again not much of my skin touches it so I'm still waffling on the material. I would lime the flattest lay i can for my weight (170), v. carry weight. I'm still a way down the production queue so I still have more time to torture myself with this decision.
    John aka Suede

  8. #8
    Senior Member bear bag hanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Posts
    495
    Images
    4
    I use a DreamHammock DangerBird and enjoy it quite a bit. The ThunderBird was not an option when I purchased the DB. I'm 5' 6" tall and don't have a problem with reaching the zippers when they are fully closed. Sometimes I have to scooch up a bit, but usually not much. As far as leaving the coverage of the underquilt is concerned, it's just a matter of scooching back down? I suspect you're over thinking this a bit.

    I've not found the ability to zip the cover half way and the bugnet half way to be as useful as I thought it would be. The gap in the middle is too big and lets too many bugs in, plus you wind up with a lot of fabric hanging down on top of you. It's possible I've not figured it out, but I've used this hammock on several three to four day trips and haven't found a solution.

    If I were to purchase a DH today, would go for the TB since I have the option of leaving the cover or bug net at home. Your micro biner idea is interesting, but as I imagine it, it looks like you could close the cover or bugnet, but you'd have a problem opening it? I'm probably not visioning this correctly.

  9. #9
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I use a DreamHammock DangerBird and enjoy it quite a bit. The ThunderBird was not an option when I purchased the DB. I'm 5' 6" tall and don't have a problem with reaching the zippers when they are fully closed. Sometimes I have to scooch up a bit, but usually not much. As far as leaving the coverage of the underquilt is concerned, it's just a matter of scooching back down? I suspect you're over thinking this a bit.

    I've not found the ability to zip the cover half way and the bugnet half way to be as useful as I thought it would be. The gap in the middle is too big and lets too many bugs in, plus you wind up with a lot of fabric hanging down on top of you. It's possible I've not figured it out, but I've used this hammock on several three to four day trips and haven't found a solution.

    If I were to purchase a DH today, would go for the TB since I have the option of leaving the cover or bug net at home. Your micro biner idea is interesting, but as I imagine it, it looks like you could close the cover or bugnet, but you'd have a problem opening it? I'm probably not visioning this correctly.
    Good to know from someone my height. The UQ issue is not coverage but when I move around too much in my BB it slips from the left side to the right, moving off my shoulder. I continue to tweak this and it's gotten better but I have already bought some Dutch quilt hooks to maybe fix the issue. The zipper pull was to close the zipper. A second, shorter pull coming directly off the zipper would open it. ..and you're right about the over thinking part. My OCD just seems to kick in with this stuff. Part of what I like about this obsession.
    John aka Suede

  10. #10
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,335
    I also had an issue with material hanging in my face when I used both the netting and the cover at the same time, but it was doable. Now with the ThunderBird I will just hang my field towel or something over the ridgeline and netting to keep the sun out.

    Did I mention I love my ThunderBird???
    Happy Hangin!!!


    AKA BajaHanger

    You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •