Hammock
    WBBB1.1DL WBRR
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessy Hex Rain Fly

So I just got done an over night trip in french creek state park here in PA on Friday. I got my tarp set up just before the rain started and it rained all night. Not 5 min after the rain started and it started raining under my tarp! It appeared that the leaking was coming from the seam down the ridge line on my tarp. I bought the tarp back in 2009-2010 time period. I have never used it in the rain and have only only had it set up a few times. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just use seam sealer to try and fix it or is my tarp trash. Thankfully I had the standard tarp that comes with the hammock as well. I set it up underer the leaking hex tarp so i didnt get wet and had a good night sleep. Thanks for the help!

On a side note, I just bought a new down sleeping bag and HG incubator UQ and do not want them to get wet. I am skeptical about using the standard tarp in bad weather since it offers less coverage. Should I be? Do you stay pretty dry with the standard tarp? Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies/biner
    Here is an old thread that seems to be your exact problem. Check out post #16. Maybe your seam tape has gotten old and brittle. Seam seal might work.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=26028&page=2

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    It took a while for me to figure out how to keep dry inside my HH with the stock tarp. I bought a Monsoon or Typhoon, I never remember which is which. the bigger of the two tarps. I found them to be total over kill, once I figured out how to pitch the stock rainfly correctly. I kept getting rained out on the Oregon coast, wind driven rain, coming from all directions. I hated the Monsoon/typhoon so much I never used it, it is still waiting to be desposed of. I just needed a longer learning curve than I was allowing myself before giving up. Now it is only the water that splashes up under the rain fly. I put a Undercover around the bottom of my HH. Solved the problem.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I hated the Monsoon/typhoon so much I never used it, it is still waiting to be desposed of.
    You may dispose of that tarp with me, sir!

My son has the smaller of those two tarps, and it is pretty cool.

As for the seam, mix some silicone with mineral spirits (use your Google-fu for the ratio), and that seam will be as water tight as a frog's behind. That is what I have used on my tarps...bombproof.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've used my Hex tarp for 2 years with no issues, in fact I love the tarp so much I want to upgrade to the silnylon version. Sounds like you just need to reseal it, and that's pretty easy/cheap to do.

Hammock
    WB Traveler w/ DIY Bug net
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    WB Straps, Dclips
    I just picked up a 70D Hex rainfly a couple days ago, are they already sealed when new or do I need to do that?

Hammock
    HH Expd w/ SS UC
    Tarp
    DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Images

hennessy hex

My hex has never leaked but, thanks for the post, I'm going to take it out and seal it just in case
    Never more than one man left behind, so far !

mine has been fine...did you have a ridgline strung beneath or tie out from each "buckle"?