Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps

I've tried and tried....

But I just cannot seem to get a good night's sleep in my hammock. I've done the 30 degree thing with the index finger and thumb and made sure both ends were hanging level. I lay on the diagonal as well, but I just can't seem to make it comfortable for an extended period.

On a side note, I always lay on my stomach to fall asleep at the house. I wonder if that's the problem...can you setup a hammock for stomach sleeping?

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Have you tried an 11 ft hammock? the Kammock is pretty wide but fairly short..I'm a touch under 6'4 and could not get comfortable in my Roo....Some people stomach or side sleep in a Bridge Hammock. Depends on individual and what is causing your restlessness like comfort, swaying, chilled, etc...there have also been threads on people just taking some time to get used to hammocks or get a set-up that works foe them. Personally I was very comfortable but woke up a lot the first several times out but now I sleep great! Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good responses to this question

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Can you describe what happens? Trouble falling asleep? (I do for the first few nights in a hammock) Waking up? (any particular reason? The silence? Lack of background White Noise? Animal noises?). Comfort level issue?

Your feet end of the hammock should be hung several inches higher than your head. Reduces calf pressure and keeps you from sliding to the foot end.

What gear do you have? Make, model, length, UQ, TQ, pad, sleeping bag....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I am a committed stomach sleeper. I'll share my hammock sleeping experience, FWIW. For me, it can be both a physical and a mental adjustment.

-A longer gathered-end hammock affords me better sleep than a shorter one.
    -I sleep on my side in a hammock. This change means that the first night is 'different,' as I readjust. I can't sleep on my back; my own snoring will always wake me up.
    -The more frequently I sleep in a hammock, the less different it feels. Even hanging for relaxation or a nap has helped me over time.
    -If I worry about getting to sleep, I don't get much sleep at all. If I wake up in the night, I often read and fall asleep shortly thereafter. I use my kindle (paperwhite display, only a few ounces), and do not use my phone (too bright and distracting)
    -My bedroom is quiet, but outdoor noises can seem crazy loud. Earplugs have helped.
    -I tend to pull covers over my head when in my bed. Wearing a beanie when sleeping in a hammock seems to help me to sleep better.
    -I found that raising my foot end as much as 10-12 inches in a longer hammock gives me a better night's sleep. Took me a few times sliding to the end before the advice of others made sense.
    -Avoiding caffeine late in the day allows me to sleep more soundly.

Some or none of these might give you something to consider. The main thing is to keep on dialing in and to have faith that you will find your own optimum.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It is definitely comfort that is causing my restlessness. I'm toasty warm, and the swaying only helps. I lay rather flat-ish...but have the urge to toss and turn. I do the same thing at home before I fall alseep.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBeard View Post
    But I just cannot seem to get a good night's sleep in my hammock. I've done the 30 degree thing with the index finger and thumb and made sure both ends were hanging level. I lay on the diagonal as well, but I just can't seem to make it comfortable for an extended period.

On a side note, I always lay on my stomach to fall asleep at the house. I wonder if that's the problem...can you setup a hammock for stomach sleeping?
    Have you tried a bridge hammock? Check out a Warbonnet Ridgerunner it may be the answer to your sleeping issues.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I does take a while to fall alseep, but I always wake up soon after. Again, it's a comfort issue that always wakes me up.

I haven't yet tried to elevate the foot end of the hammock. Then again, I don't really recall ever sliding to the foot end...not to say it doesn't happen.

As far as gear goes, I have a Kammok Roo with Python Straps. For a UQ I have an AHE New River Long, and I use a Marmot Trestles 15 Sleeping Bag for my top insulation.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I haven't looked into a bridge hammock. Can you stomach sleep in those?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Some do. I couldn't sleep on my stomach to save my life though, hammock or not.

I've always been a side sleeper in bed, but in hammocks I can only get comfortable on my back. Presently I sleep in a Ridgerunner (bridge) nightly.

For a GE, definitely raise the foot end. Start at 12" diff, at the hammock not the mount point, and adjust more or less from there. Assuming you're using a fixed ridgeline so the hammock is a consistent length. If you're backpacking so that your mount points are always changing, it makes sense to use the hammock as the one constant you can count on.

Are you experiencing calf ridge problems? Try using something under your knees to raise them a bit, especially if the hammock is on the shorter side.

Are you experiencing shoulder squeeze? Maybe the fabric is too stretchy for you. I really don't know anything about Kammoks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Try a mat, it may give you the flat you seek.
    In your bed at home see if you lay on an angle. If your head is a bit RIGHT you could need a Left lay hammock. It required a lot of nights before I figured out why I was not totally comfortable. Now I know the problem.
    I now have a Bridge Hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast