Thread: Skeeter netting

Images

Skeeter netting

Ok, got another question. I'll start contributing with some answers once I get experience and know what I'm talking about.

Now...I have an ENO single nest with no bug netting. I will be doing a thru hike on the AT in 2008, and the section from Springer to Fontana this June. I figure sleeping in a hammock with no netting is the same as the people who sleep in shelters every chance they get on a thru. With that in mind, and my bottle of DEET, is a net necessary? I will be sleeping in thermals, nylon pants, and my nylon wind/rain jacket so my lower body will be fairly well covered. Just chemical up my hands and face at night. I just don't like netting and would do without it if possible.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    i've been hammocking for 2 years now & i've never used a bug net. i guess there's been a time or two when it probably would have been helpful.
    mostly little nat-like bugs that just irritate you, or pesky flys (man, those little devils can be persistent), but sometimes a few mosquitoes too.
    no doubt, i've been fortunate w/ the places i've camped though.
    if i were going to be out longer i think i would at least treat the hammock w/ permethrin & have something like hammock engineer's bug head net, if not a more full bug net of some kind. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Images
    Never thought about using permethrin (unk. spelling) on my hammock. Anyone else try this?

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i spray the bottom of my hammock, but i still use bug netting.... anything that flies and bites....they go for me.....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

I prefer to use bug netting, if only to get away from the buggers buzzing my ears. If you attach a ridge line to your hammock like on a Hennessey, it will make it easier to get consistent setups and will also support a simple bug net. Simple means two pieces of net sewn along a ridgeline with 3-4 ties to attach it to the hammock's ridge line, and some velcro at the ends to seal it there. A pocket on the bottom edge of each side will hold anything heavy enough to keep the net hanging down properly. That's a handy place to keep a water bottle or head lamp, for example.

A ridge line will hold a simple bug net as well as make set up easier like on a Hennessy. Two pieces of net sewn along the ridge with 3-4 ties to hold it on the line and a pocket on each bottom edge to hold some weight to hold the edges down. That's it. Put water bottle on one side and headlamp on the other, for example. Simple.