Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Cohutta Wilderness Loop, May 2013

Two buddies and I drove up to the Cohutta Wilderness last weekend to backpack and explore the area. I was having my first real field test for a bunch of new equipment including my new HG pillow, 40* phoenix, 40* burrow (all 3 in M90), and Bushcooker LT2. My buddy forgot her camera and I only have a DSLR, so sorry but no pics!

We drove up to the Rice Camp trailhead and headed south on E. Cowpen, then took the immediate right onto Hickory Creek. Homan's guide calls this trail moderate, but like almost all trails in the Cohutta, it has a few fairly strenuous sections. We made good time though expecting to break for lunch at Thomas Creek. Unsure of our exact position, we ended up pressing on until we reached the Conasauga River and our first river fording. We enjoyed a nice lunch on the banks of the river as we took in the beautiful scenery. We saw a few day-hikers pass by, but almost no other backpackers. After lunch, we hiked half a mile south on the CR until we forded it again to take up the Panther Creek trail. Everything I had read warned me that the PCT was extremely strenuous, and trust me, it did not disappoint. After a half mile or so of lulling you into a false sense of security, it promptly shoots upward before entering "the boulder field." Calling this section a "trail" is being generous at best, as it is literally a steeply pitched field of loose rocks and boulders with no sure footing and no discernible path to follow. After what must have taken a full 30 minutes to climb 0.2 miles, we were rewarded with an absolutely stunning view right at the top of the falls where you could see out for miles and miles. After making camp near the top of the falls, we cooked dinner (BBQ spaghetti for me, thank you BB5) and then headed back to the falls to watch the sunset. The lookout faces exactly west, and the view as the sun sets from the top of PC Falls made every bit of the climb worth it. Probably the best and most idyllic view I have ever seen in the wilderness. With aching legs and a belly full of spaghetti, I quickly got in my Blackbird and slipped into a light coma.

I awoke the next morning well after my groundling companions. The low that night was supposed to be about 44ish (probably cooler that close to the falls), but I found the 40* rating on my quilts to be very accurate as I wasn't even the least bit chilly. After breaking camp, we made sure to camel up as we would be away from any reliable water sources the entire rest of the day. Lugging 2..5L of water up the remainder of PC trail (just as steep as the boulder field in sections but without the rocks, thank God) was extremely challenging! Upon reaching the junction with E. Cowpen, we enjoyed our first steady downgrade of the trip for the next two miles. Upon reaching Hickory Ridge, we ate lunch and then began our long decent. HR looses over 1600 feet in 3.5 miles before reaching the Jacks River. By the time we made it to the Jacks, every muscle in my body (both those used for climbing and descending) screamed for level terrain. We took a brief nap at the edge of the river before refilling our water and preparing to cross the Jacks. The river looked formidable and deep in sections with no clearly defined entry or exit point. We later learned that we were supposed to follow the river 0.2 miles upstream to the official junction with the Jacks River trail and a much better crossing spot, but we were eager to make camp, so we literally just dove in. We all three managed to cross without anyone drenching their gear, but we all came very close several times. We camped near the intersection of Beech Bottom and Jacks River trails. After constructing a fire ring and preparing a hearty dinner, we stayed up a bit later than the first night rehashing college stories and catching up on life. This was perhaps the only occasion that I have ever slept soundly thru the entire night while camping without waking up even a single time to adjust my position or use the bathroom. Sleep system successfully dialed in!

The next morning, a park ranger found us as we were breaking camp and informed us that the entire area was closed to camping. Apparently, there had been signs back at the official trail intersection, but our shortcut had unwittingly bypassed them. He was very kind and merely asked that we break down our fire ring and leave no trace we had been there, something that we intended to do anyway. After the grueling ups and downs of the past two days, the brief hike along the Jacks River was a paradise. Jacks River falls added yet another beautiful sight. We made it to our last river fording at the Rice Camp trail junction. Rice Camp was labeled as easy to moderate, but the first half mile as we climbed away from the Jacks was quite strenuous. My legs protested yet another long climb before the trail finally leveled out. After at least 15 stream crossings, we finally made it to the last uphill section that took us to the truck.

What I learned:
    1. They apparently do not believe in bridges or switchbacks in the Cohutta Wilderness. Some trails are very steep in sections, and others are very steep entirely!
    2. The scenery makes it well worth the effort as long as you are properly prepared for the trails.
    3. My new quilts are keepers! I have never before slept that well on a camping trip, although the grueling hike may have helped.
    4. PC Falls is a must see for any backpacker in the area, but "hard to get to" doesn't begin to describe it. Try to plan your trip so that you camp at the top of the falls so you can enjoy the view at sunset!
    5. I like the Bushcooker, but it can be a bit finicky to keep lit. I hope I will learn how to keep it fed better with more experience.
    6. Next time, I either need to pick a flatter route or get into far better shape (probably both)!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Sounds like it was a great, butt kicking trip. I'm happy you had a good time, and all your gear worked wonderfully. "Success"

Wish you had pics...
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts