Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    I’ll add my two cents on this. First, if you are carrying a wood toggle it’s not a good idea. When you start sweating and also during the night with the dew the wood toggle absorbs moisture I usually wake up in the morning and have to hang the hammock around midday to dry it up a bit. That can cause the wood toggle to get a bit heavier. It would just be better to find one from the ground and use it only once. I’ve found over the years that if you use a marlin spike with just a carabiner that you need a lot of ingenuity in the morning to get it off to keep from fraying the straps. Of course, if you choose the right carabiners that won’t be a problem. I’ve also found that using certain toggles makes it easier to slip it off in the morning. A stick from the ground is not smooth enough so you need to work it out gently.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, HK2001
    Tarp
    HG CF,BCUSA on CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/WB Buckles
    Arrow fragments, Brilliant!!
    I cut and build my own arrows too and will save the scraps for use in the marlin spike hitch. Thanks for that tip. I shoot full metal jackets, so it is carbon plus the aluminum sleeve, should be plenty stout. How long do they need to be? 4" or so? I can see a cord leash through that allows me to leave them attached, so I don't forget them.

Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've been using a pair of mini 'biners as the marlinspikes in my suspension since moving to whoopies. The advantage of them is that I can then clip the sling through the 'biner, after placing it on the knot, and push the gate against the sling to prevent it from slipping off of the knot when there's no weight in the hammock. Gives me a bit of piece of mind.

They do double-duty as the manner in which I attach my Camelbak carrier to my pack (odd pack design, inspired by the Molly Mac Pack), as well. This prevents me from leaving them behind, as it would entail not being able to "pack" (really, read that as "assemble") my pack. Same thing with my straps; they hold my all-in-one blackbishop bag to the frame. It's literally impossible for me to walk away from camp with my pack and shelter but not my straps.

Anyway, that's what's been working for me. Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger