Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 132
  1. #31
    Senior Member lilricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling AIO
    Posts
    743
    Images
    14
    Great, now you got me thinking on how to get a cooler out there.....
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I guess you will just throw the BB on top of the 75 quart cooler full of ice and cold drinks that you will be bringing...

    (admit it... you know you want to)

    Dave

  2. #32
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    You can go ahead and pencil me in for now. I want to see what the actual conditions are out there during the wet season. I am going to regret writing this but, I think it may be fun. I can only do the weekend though, Sat. - Sun.

    Where in the area of Hidden Pond where you thinking about hanging? Near the pond or somewhere else? There are wonderful hanging locations on the south end of Crooked Sapling Pond.
    Well, for the first night (Sat.), I'll probably be near the pond. I'm coming in after dark, so going further than I have to is probably contraindicated. However, I might be up for moving camp the second evening (Sun.)...


    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I guess you will just throw the BB on top of the 75 quart cooler full of ice and cold drinks that you will be bringing...

    (admit it... you know you want to)

    Dave
    Hrm...*evil stroking of chin*...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

  3. #33
    Life Scout's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    ocala, florida
    Hammock
    DIY so far
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY
    Posts
    153
    We did a little recon hike out there today. Started at pats island trail head. There is enough parking there for nine vehicles if carefully done(in the designated parking lot). With the rain we have been having each evening, The road in was soupy this early in the morning. The trail has grown tight and narrow in some places. Not much tree cover at all. No bugs to speak about. We made it to hidden pond. Water was good. The camp site there has spots for at least a dozen hammocks close together. On the hike out it started to rain. Not a real heavy downpour but steady for 2 miles out. The dirt road turned to mush. Some areas real deep my car would not have made it past. Good thing I was in the truck. We had fun and the rain was needed to cool us off on a really hot hike.

  4. #34
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    We did a little recon hike out there today. Started at pats island trail head. There is enough parking there for nine vehicles if carefully done(in the designated parking lot). With the rain we have been having each evening, The road in was soupy this early in the morning. The trail has grown tight and narrow in some places. Not much tree cover at all. No bugs to speak about. We made it to hidden pond. Water was good. The camp site there has spots for at least a dozen hammocks close together. On the hike out it started to rain. Not a real heavy downpour but steady for 2 miles out. The dirt road turned to mush. Some areas real deep my car would not have made it past. Good thing I was in the truck. We had fun and the rain was needed to cool us off on a really hot hike.
    Thanks for the scout report; the last time I was out there was in October. It sure does get hot across that prairie in the afternoons, and I could definitely see how some of the lower-lying areas on the road into Pat's Island could get a bit soupy.

    I hope to see everyone out there!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

  5. #35
    Senior Member Floridahanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Volusia, FL
    Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Posts
    1,380
    Images
    10
    Pencil me in as well. Maybe Fri-Sun nights.
    I hope to be able to switch my Saturday to be there. Since it is payroll week will have to leave Mon morn. If my planning works out, I'll go out Friday afternoon so as not to try-then-fail at the Sat morn hike in before the heat of the day.

    Man oh man. I hope to see you all there.
    Lilricky, do you think I can get a small cooler in my daypack?
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

    My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

  6. #36
    Senior Member zukiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL 2Q zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Te-wa standard
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Posts
    1,133
    Images
    6
    I'm a definite maybe. The heat will be pretty brutal but if the pond level is pretty high the swimming is nice (but the bottom is like pudding). I've got to check the schedule to see if I can make that weekend work.

  7. #37
    Senior Member MightyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pensacola
    Hammock
    Blackbird-style single
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    HG burrow/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    of course!
    Posts
    262
    Images
    3
    Hmmm...just thought of something...I never learned to swim for fun, and this is at a pond...can I bring floaties?


    kc -- Fulltime hammocker, thanks to olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

  8. #38
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    Hmmm...just thought of something...I never learned to swim for fun, and this is at a pond...can I bring floaties?


    kc -- Fulltime hammocker, thanks to olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Heck...the last time we were out there, folks brought in whole floating loungers and a full cooler. I wouldn't want to backpack that in, but if you want to (or can convince Duffy), well...

    On the other hand, the close end of the pond is fairly shallow (I can stand up in it as far out as I'd feel comfortable walking on the bottom; it turns from sandy to mucky pretty fast). You shouldn't have a problem thereabouts.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

  9. #39
    Senior Member MightyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pensacola
    Hammock
    Blackbird-style single
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    HG burrow/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    of course!
    Posts
    262
    Images
    3
    That's a relief, Rider, thank you for the quick response!

    It just happened to occur to me when I was unpacking the little bag Kaylee and I had a the pool. They don't allow floaties but they do have USCG vests, so she can jump in and kick to the edge, get out, repeat for 35 minutes.

    When I sat down to read any updates, it struck me...they don't weigh much!

    But if I can sit in "the shallow end," I'm good to go. Look forward to seeing you, as it looks like my mind has decided it's going... Packs should be lighter this time, right? RIGHT???


    kc -- Fulltime hammocker, thanks to olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Last edited by MightyMouse; 06-25-2013 at 19:06.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

  10. #40
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    That's a relief, Rider, thank you for the quick response!

    It just happened to occur to me when I was unpacking the little bag Kaylee and I had a the pool. They don't allow floaties but they do have USCG vests, so she can jump in and kick to the edge, get out, repeat for 35 minutes.

    When I sat down to read any updates, it struck me...they don't weigh much!

    But if I can sit in "the shallow end," I'm good to go. Look forward to seeing you, as it looks like my mind has decided it's going... Packs should be lighter this time, right? RIGHT???


    kc -- Fulltime hammocker, thanks to olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Not a problem. And, yeah, packs should be lighter this time. By at least a pound...I seem to recall Duffy saying those JC Penny underquilts were about a pound a pop...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •