Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Not so quick, grasshopper...I'm pretty HOT!!
    I honestly have no opinion or basis for judgment on that one - better ask your wife!

The two-person hammock worked great for the 10 min I laid in it with my 7yo. Not sure how it would be with another adult in there. And we were pretty close so it's probably not a summertime kit. Adding the spacer like Youngblood was talking about is probably a necessity for two adults, especially in summer. It'll sure be quicker to set up only one set of supports for both hammocks though.
    I've been contemplating the spreader bar solution too. Seems like it might be easier, but then again you're right about the quickness and weight savings with a single suspension. I'm sure the "normal" rated suspension is fine with the addition of your son, but do you have any thoughts on how to strengthen the supports enough for a second adult?

Next addition - a hammock sock that fits over both hammocks.
    Wow...that would be HUGE

As a side note, I'm a few days away from prototyping my double-hammock tarp idea.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Thanks for the imputs.

Let me see if I am understanding this correctly and summerize your guys' thoughts on this.

From my heat transfer days I remember there being convection, conduction, and radiation forms of heat loss. From what you are guys are saying, radiation happens at too high temps (thinking hot space objects or hot ovens), convection would mean a lot of air flow which doesn't happen too much, which leaves conduction.

There is some air flow, hence the beathability of DWR. Most of it is coming from our bodies coming into contact with the hammock body, then the underquilt through that. There is some air flow, but not much.

This makes non-coated basically the same as DWR. I am going to stitch with it. Basically since I have some of it and like the feel. I like being able to swing and feel the air hit my hind parts in the hot summer months.

Now that brings another interesting question based on what BB said about his top quilt. I am not worried about my setup getting wet in my pack. In the cold months I could sub in a top quilt or peapod with with a DWR outter shell and a untreated inner shell. This would allow the user to heat up faster where the conductive heat transfer is going to take place. The DWR layer would give me the splash waterproofing layer where it would be needed. Although this would only work for synethic insulation since untreated is not down proof. Although I can almost see a synethic top quilt in my future.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12