Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick question(s) about the One Link system.

When setting up the Eno system and you want to use it as just a lounger during the day and don't want to use the bug net. Is it possible to just set on the hammock? Also besides shape whats the difference between Dryfly, Profly, or FastFly? And should I just look at other options. I will be doing everything with this hammock from in the front yard, to vacations to day trips to hunting and camping. There are just so many options out there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright7856 View Post
    When setting up the Eno system and you want to use it as just a lounger during the day and don't want to use the bug net. Is it possible to just set on the hammock? Also besides shape whats the difference between Dryfly, Profly, or FastFly? And should I just look at other options. I will be doing everything with this hammock from in the front yard, to vacations to day trips to hunting and camping. There are just so many options out there.
    I would avoid all ENO tarps - crappy coverage and a nonsensical shape. It's almost as if they designed it to look cool rather than give decent weather coverage.

As for alternative tarps, it depends on what you are looking for: cheap, lightweight, or best coverage (as the saying goes, you can only pick two). The HH Hex is an affordable tarp with good coverage, but it's not the lightest. Many people speak highly of the WL Tadpole.

If you want 4-season coverage, think of the Warbonnet Superfly. If money is no object, the HG Winter Palace, made of cuben fiber, is a mere 8.5 ounces (and a $395 price tag).

Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Originally Posted by jwright7856 View Post
    Sure.

The main difference between the listed tarps is the number of tie (or guy) points. The Fastfly is more of a sunshade, light weather option with 4 guy points and the Dryfly has 8points for more functionality and coverage in wind. The Profly (6) is in the middle. I believe the Profly has more width coverage at the ends vs. the Dryfly. The ENO tarp material is all the same except for the sil option.

Many people do not like the weight aspect of the standard ENO tarps at 22oz compared to other silnylon options.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would avoid all ENO tarps - crappy coverage and a nonsensical shape. It's almost as if they designed it to look cool rather than give decent weather coverage.

As for alternative tarps, it depends on what you are looking for: cheap, lightweight, or best coverage (as the saying goes, you can only pick two). The HH Hex is an affordable tarp with good coverage, but it's not the lightest. Many people speak highly of the WL Tadpole.

If you want 4-season coverage, think of the Warbonnet Superfly. If money is no object, the HG Winter Palace, made of cuben fiber, is a mere 8.5 ounces (and a $395 price tag).
    Ok lets get some more details in here. I'm willing to spend up to 300 on a hammock, bug net, tarp, and the straps and other small things that go with it. Weight is not a big deal as long as it fits into a backpack. I would like something me and my gf can both sit in outside my house and something that is comfortable to sleep in. I'm thinking Hennessy now that I've looked at the videos. But I want the option to not use the bug net if i so choose. I am new to hammocks after a wandered into a store and almost made an uneducated purchase of a doublenest but they didnt have the color I wanted.

Again thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepytime Gorilla Sack View Post
    Sure.

The main difference between the listed tarps is the number of tie (or guy) points. The Fastfly is more of a sunshade, light weather option with 4 guy points and the Dryfly has 8points for more functionality and coverage in wind. The Profly (6) is in the middle. I believe the Profly has more width coverage at the ends vs. the Dryfly. The ENO tarp material is all the same except for the sil option.

Many people do not like the weight aspect of the standard ENO tarps at 22oz compared to other silnylon options.
    Whats the difference with the sil option I saw it but I didnt really pay it much attention.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Ok lets get some more details in here. I'm willing to spend up to 300 on a hammock, bug net, tarp, and the straps and other small things that go with it. Weight is not a big deal as long as it fits into a backpack. I would like something me and my gf can both sit in outside my house and something that is comfortable to sleep in. I'm thinking Hennessy now that I've looked at the videos. But I want the option to not use the bug net if i so choose. I am new to hammocks after a wandered into a store and almost made an uneducated purchase of a doublenest but they didnt have the color I wanted
    Again thanks for the response.
    If you get the Hennessey you can send it to 2QZQ and they can make the net removable, of course that's and extra charge on top of what you paid for the hammock. The Warbonnet XLC has a net that is removable I believe. Dream Hammock also has one. Or you could get or make a netless hammock then buy or make a separate bugnet that you can take off when you wanna lounge. If you or your gf have any skill with a thread injector you can save a ton of money by making your own hammock and net.

If you plan to use it for sleeping in have you budgeted additonal money for an underquilt or pad? Or will that be coming out of the $300?

If you haven't already bought the ENO I would definitely look at other options. ENO is ok as starter for people that don't know any better but there are way better and cheaper options out there. That being said there are some people that love ENO. I'm just not one of em, I think they're system is flawed, expensive and heavy.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's a tight budget for bugnet, hammock, and tarp but doable. Like you, I'm no fan of integrated bugnet. However, the Hennessy Expedition was my first hammock and it's a fine starter hammock with everything included - just upgrade to the Hennessy Hex tarp 'cause the standard tarp has skimpy coverage.

Or if you really hate integrated bugnets (and I do), here's a suggested setup:

Bias Hiker Lite $34.95 weight 9 oz
    BIAS Buginator Bugnet $64.95 weight 8.8 oz
    BIAS Tree Straps, Whoopie Slings w/Dutch Whoopie Hooks $41 weight probably 5 oz or less
    Wilderness Logics Tadpole Tarp $110 weight 12.5 oz

Total Cost $250.90 weight 35.3 ounces

That leaves you with a little cash for tarp ridgeline, cordage for tarp tie-outs, etc. You can get a 180 ft. roll of 1.75 mm Zing-It for $24 to $30 with shipping from Redden Marine or WesSpur. and that should supply all your cordage needs, with some left over for a bear bag line.

If you want a cheaper, heavier tarp, you can get the Hennessy Hex for $79.95 and 23 ounces.

As for you AND your girlfriend sitting in a hammock, better figure out your combined weight and get a hammock with the appropriate weight rating. There is nothing comfortable about two people in a hammock, in my opinion, but to each his own.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-11-2013 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's a tight budget for bugnet, hammock, and tarp but doable. Like you, I'm no fan of integrated bugnet. However, the Hennessy Expedition was my first hammock and it's a fine starter hammock with everything included - just upgrade to the Hennessy Hex tarp 'cause the standard tarp has skimpy coverage.

Or if you really hate integrated bugnets (and I do), here's a suggested setup:

Bias Hiker Lite $34.95 weight 9 oz
    BIAS Buginator Bugnet $64.95 weight 8.8 oz
    BIAS Tree Straps, Whoopie Slings w/Dutch Whoopie Hooks $41 weight probably 5 oz or less
    Wilderness Logics Tadpole Tarp $110 weight 12.5 oz

Total Cost $250.90 weight 35.3 ounces

That leaves you with a little cash for tarp ridgeline, cordage for tarp tie-outs, etc. You can get a 180 ft. roll of 1.75 mm Zing-It for $24 to $30 with shipping from Redden Marine or WesSpur. and that should supply all your cordage needs, with some left over for a bear bag line.

If you want a cheaper, heavier tarp, you can get the Hennessy Hex for $79.95 and 23 ounces.

As for you AND your girlfriend sitting in a hammock, better figure out your combined weight and get a hammock with the appropriate weight rating. There is nothing comfortable about two people in a hammock, in my opinion, but to each his own.
    I have a feeling you live by the ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain kind of thinking haha. Thanks for the suggestions Ill look at it. The two person thing would only be 10 to 15 minutes at a time not long term and definately not sleeping. And my budget is + or - $50

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    If you get the Hennessey you can send it to 2QZQ and they can make the net removable, of course that's and extra charge on top of what you paid for the hammock. The Warbonnet XLC has a net that is removable I believe. Dream Hammock also has one. Or you could get or make a netless hammock then buy or make a separate bugnet that you can take off when you wanna lounge. If you or your gf have any skill with a thread injector you can save a ton of money by making your own hammock and net.

If you plan to use it for sleeping in have you budgeted additonal money for an underquilt or pad? Or will that be coming out of the $300?

If you haven't already bought the ENO I would definitely look at other options. ENO is ok as starter for people that don't know any better but there are way better and cheaper options out there. That being said there are some people that love ENO. I'm just not one of em, I think they're system is flawed, expensive and heavy.
    the 300 does not include the UQ or OQ or pad that would all be added slowly. Probably a total budget of $1000

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a feeling you live by the ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain kind of thinking haha. Thanks for the suggestions Ill look at it. The two person thing would only be 10 to 15 minutes at a time not long term and definately not sleeping. And my budget is + or - $50
    I am definitely not a gram weenie - but as Opie once said, I'm beginning to see the merits. I'm an old fart - ACL reconstruction on left knee, recent MCL tear on right knee and everything else is just worn out. So lighter weight means a lot once you get up in years. To think, two years ago I was carrying a 60 lb. pack.

You probably can't find a cheaper hammock than the BIAS Hiker Lite, at least not of that quality. It won't be on sale forever!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast