DIY Digital Camo
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY CS TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Thank you

Thank you for posting. Great info. Just finished Bugnet doing it the math way and although it worked ok, this way looks much easier. Wish I would have found this post a week ago. On the one I made the Bugnet is a little tight. May try another one this way.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucs57 View Post
    Thank you for posting. Great info. Just finished Bugnet doing it the math way and although it worked ok, this way looks much easier. Wish I would have found this post a week ago. On the one I made the Bugnet is a little tight. May try another one this way.
    Thank you, Bucs. The math part and the net being too tight sometimes was what made me think of the method - since it's all visual and you can easily loosen or tighten spots of the net.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I really do love your tutorials Lost_Biker!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I really do love your tutorials Lost_Biker!

Thanks, dragon. Just trying to help all the gear makers along.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter/Tadpole
    Insulation
    IXUQ/Clima/UQ.com
    Suspension
    Straps / TD Stand

Bugnet a la Lost_Biker

Made a double layer (1.9 / 1.0 camo) hammock and was looking for a way to add a bugnet. Thanks to materials from DIY Gear Supply (thanks Scott) and this excellent tutorial from Lost_Biker (thanks LB) it is done.

The only thing I will change when I make another one is I will not use YKK #3 coil zippers - very difficult for big hands to get the sliders on to the virgin zipper. For an ounce or two more, #5 will be better to work with. Or perhaps a separating zipper so I can remove the net when not needed.

Now - on to LB's winter tarp tutorial. The fabric is already here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PappyAmos; 08-08-2013 at 07:55. Reason: Correct zipper #s

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Great looking rig Pappy!

I know what you mean about the zipper. I ordered 32' of #8 zipper the other day to attach bugnetting to my kids, wife, and finally redoing my hammock.

Happy hanging!
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Made a double layer (1.9 / 1.0 camo) hammock and was looking for a way to add a bugnet. Thanks to materials from DIY Gear Supply (thanks Scott) and this excellent tutorial from Lost_Biker (thanks LB) it is done.

The only thing I will change when I make another one is I will not use YKK #6 coil zippers - very difficult for big hands to get the sliders on to the virgin zipper. For an ounce or two more, #8 will be better to work with. Or perhaps a separating zipper so I can remove the net when not needed.

Now - on to LB's winter tarp tutorial. The fabric is already here ;
    Great work Pappy! Looks good! I started out using #3 coil zips and recently went to #5's - had a heck of a time with the #3's. The 5's are much easier and weigh just a tiny bit more.

Lets see that tarp!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post

The only thing I will change when I make another one is I will not use YKK #3 coil zippers - very difficult for big hands to get the sliders on to the virgin zipper. For an ounce or two more, #5 will be better to work with. Or perhaps a separating zipper so I can remove the net when not needed.

Now - on to LB's winter tarp tutorial. The fabric is already here
    What method did you use for mounting your ridgeline and suspension?

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter/Tadpole
    Insulation
    IXUQ/Clima/UQ.com
    Suspension
    Straps / TD Stand
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    What method did you use for mounting your ridgeline and suspension?
    Hi XT!
    For the suspension, I made 1/8" Amsteel whoopie slings with the fixed end long enough to make two turns over the whipping on the gathered ends of the hammock. My ridgeline is made from Zing-It. Basically a long whoopie with a short - about 10" - adjustable end. The ends of the ridgeline pass out through the gather and are looped over the suspension whoopies.

The hammock was about 9'10" long before I sewed the short tunnels and then gathered the ends. After adjusting the ridgeline I believe it ended up about 98" long.

BTW the entire hammock with bugnet installed, whoopies, toggles, two ea 10 ft straps and two of Scott's carabiners in a DIY 1.1 stuffing bag totals 33.5 oz. Before adding the zippers and bugnet, the complete hammock weighed 24.5 oz in the stuff bag. So it appears the bugnet and zippers total 9 oz.

My next hammocks - perhaps Christmas presents for my backpacking stepson and his wife - will be made from the 1.9/1.1 camo hammock blanks I got from you last month.

Happy Hangin!