Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images

Tarp Ridgeline - inside or out?

I remember reading a discussion about this, but I can't find it. I am in the process of re-rigging my tarps, and would like to hear the pros and cons. Thanks!!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Having just come off a six night hang at Boy Scout summer camp, I can say that I too am interested in the pro's and con's on in or out. Personally I have always hung my tarp with a ridgeline on the inside. At summer camp this proved to be a bit of an issue. I was helped into using a rope that was not mine, but the owner insisted I use it. About 3 hours after setup we were hit with a four inch rain. No problems my hammock and gear under my tarp appeared dry. When I got in I realized that this life saving rope was wicking water, water was running from both ends and dripping on me. I solved the issue quickly by attaching some drip lines made out of 550 paracord. I had to ring out the rope so to speak by running my hands down it. Slept well the rest of the night, but this episode has me thinking that may be I should hang the tarp below the ridgeline, just in case that any rain water gets past the drip lines.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    The question for me is what bears the load of tarp and weather. If strung over then all the forces are born by the attachment points. If strung under then weight is shared with the ridge line.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Tarp Ridgeline - inside or out?

I based my decision on the cut of the tarp. The WB Mamajamba has a bit of a cat cut on the RL, so under the tarp doesn't work properly. I went with separate tie outs, but for a continuous line I would go over and tension the ends with prusik knots and s-biners I think. Might still try this method out in the future.
    Coffee?

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    You've hit on the Hammock Tarp version of Ford vs Chevy.

I prefer my continuous ridge lines to go above my tarp for the following reasons:

1) Just works best for me, easy adjustment (same can be said for under too)
    2) Absolutely no way moisture can run the length of the ridge line if it's over the tarp (under can wick ... I've seen it happen to me ... once)
    3) Even with a Dutch Biner I had water jump the biner and down my hammock (talking hammock not tarp) in a really bad storm ... so even though I use drip lines now routinely ... once I'm in bed ... I don't want to get up to stop a leak. Well, unless it's me that has to go take a leak!
    So point being ... taking out one variable that could provide a way for water to wick into my sleeping area by putting the ridge line above the tarp.
    4) No friction on the tarp from the line up against the tarp (just my opinion)
    5) Now if I were camping in snow and wanted the extra support from the snow load ... I might switch to under.

Is this the correct way to do it. Absolutely ... for me! Might not be for you. Try both and see which works best for you. It's easy to switch from over to under in very short order.

On the other hand ... with my HG Cuben I'm using separate lines off each end of the tarp with Dutch Stingerz ... LOVE THEM!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Rekon it just comes down to personal choice.. And design of the tarp you have..
    One usually keeps an eye on their gear while out so any build up of snow, ice etc. would be tapped off any way.. So have at it, try both and please yourself.... Hey, that sounded wrong......
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Thanks for the quick feedback! I have been hanging my tarps with no ridgeline for years, but have never had snow on them, so I hadn't considered the weight issue.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I just did a little bit about this...
    see it here...
    New tarp and CRL
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    My take on it is to put the CRL above the tarp. Reasoning is that:

1.) Water can't wick down the CRL and drip onto the hammock.

and

2.) It reduces wear-and-tear on the actual fabric of the tarp from abrasion against the line. (Note: I've never actually heard of anyone's tarp giving way from this, so I may be paranoid with this one. Doesn't mean Murphy isn't out to get me, though...)

Regarding the force of the load being on the tie-outs, I'd much rather have the line there snap or the grosgrain loop rip free than the tarp itself give way. It's much easier to take some spare cord and tie a new knot in the field than to try and sew up a large rip in my tarp. Assuming worst-case scenario, of course.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Ridgeline - inside or out?

I like above as well mainly because of line abrasion with an under the tarp setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast