Weigth Weenie + Buginator
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    There are advantages... of woven fabric over film...
    ... He's used reinforced film and found it to have limited life...
    ... resell when the thrill is gone...
    ... I am suspicious of permanent creases which are at high risk of failure...
    ... going spendy on certain UL materials.
    For campers the issue of weight is not as immediate. For hikers, a light pack is Nirvana.

Those using CF today are early adopters, knowingly or unknowingly accepting the higher risk and expense. For those doing the long hikes, it may be a good, rational choice. The hedonists, as usual, will buy just for the fun of it.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    The choices are light, cheap, or durable. Pick two. There is no perfect fabric for every application.

Because I walk almost all day when hiking, I prefer the lightness of cuben and its no stretch behavior. Small bungie cords will compensate for the stretchiness of silnylon. Urethane coated polyester is durable if you don't store it wet for long periods, but far from light weight.

My suggestion is to buy silnylon tarps until you are sure of the size and shape of what you want. Then, consider the price of your favorite in cuben. Hangers often have less exposed campsites than most others, so silnylon may be all that you ever will need.

I buy lightly used gear at the For Sale forum here, knowing that if it does not immediately suit me, I can sell it for almost as much as I paid.

Hammock
    Looking for a dubble layer
    Tarp
    surgestions?
    Insulation
    surgestions?
    Suspension
    surgestions?
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    The choices are light, cheap, or durable. Pick two. There is no perfect fabric for every application.

Because I walk almost all day when hiking, I prefer the lightness of cuben and its no stretch behavior. Small bungie cords will compensate for the stretchiness of silnylon. Urethane coated polyester is durable if you don't store it wet for long periods, but far from light weight.

My suggestion is to buy silnylon tarps until you are sure of the size and shape of what you want. Then, consider the price of your favorite in cuben. Hangers often have less exposed campsites than most others, so silnylon may be all that you ever will need.

I buy lightly used gear at the For Sale forum here, knowing that if it does not immediately suit me, I can sell it for almost as much as I paid.

CHEAP?????
    Where?

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have 2 silnylon tarps that I use a lot, even at home occasionally, now for about 20 yrs max..but love my cuben even tho it has its weaknesses..posted in this link below. No matter the weakness of cuben,,won't give it up.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=76226

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    durable? Hangnout has a cuben tarp for quite a few years....I'm remembering 5 maybe? A lot of it is how you treat it and what you get it hung on.

Re: Tell me more about cuben

Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I have decided that my next major purchase will be a tarp. I have been using a simple poly tarp. It is heavy. I want my new tarp to be light, and as I am starting on an ultralight journey, I want the best. Cuben is by far the lightest. But how durable is it? I am rough with my gear, and I need something that will hold up. If silnylon is more durable maybe I should go that route. So tell me more..... What is the lightest but most durable tarp? I want this new tarp to last me years and years.
    If your just getting started with UL... Cuban fiber is probably a bad idea.
    Not because of anything to do with the material... But its cost per weight saved is gonna be somewhat low.

If all you have is heavy stuff, weight can be dropped easily and cheaply... as you optomize your gear it gets harder and more expensive.
    That is where cuban fiber comes in. Its a last 10% type of thing, and you could probably save WAY more weight with a sil tarp and a couple hundred dollars of ti cookware or a new pad.... you could probably get a light sil tarp, and an underquilt instead of the CF tarp. You make gain 5oz on the tarp but you will lose more with the difference in price applied to taking care of your next most overweight item....

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 SL "Black Bird" Clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka.jobbe View Post
    CHEAP?????
    Where?
    DIY. ~$40 of silnylon seconds from Noah Lamport = 2 super fly sized tarps

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Huggers/Marlin
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    If your just getting started with UL... Cuban fiber is probably a bad idea.
    Not because of anything to do with the material... But its cost per weight saved is gonna be somewhat low.

If all you have is heavy stuff, weight can be dropped easily and cheaply... as you optomize your gear it gets harder and more expensive.
    That is where cuban fiber comes in. Its a last 10% type of thing, and you could probably save WAY more weight with a sil tarp and a couple hundred dollars of ti cookware or a new pad.... you could probably get a light sil tarp, and an underquilt instead of the CF tarp. You make gain 5oz on the tarp but you will lose more with the difference in price applied to taking care of your next most overweight item....
    +1 on scryan's advise.

But also, as mentioned by bear bag hanger in his post, there is SpinnTex. MLD have thier small diamond tarps on sale for $70. If I didn't already have one, I would buy another one right now. Under 5 ounces!
    "Better living through Hammockry"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    800FP Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cuben is incredibly strong for its weight. That being said, it is so light that it can have durability issues in the lighter weights. If you have an interest in the fabric, I'd recommend buying the cuben stuffsack kit from Yama Mountain Gear. Small investment for an awesome DIY project, and intro to cuben.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post

Me, too! I have two silnylon tarps and I like them both for different situations. I don't think I would have been able to afford to "experiment" with cuben to determine my likes and dislikes.