Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

If you lost all your gear and had to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I agree and I've tried this exercise a couple of times now.
    The thief would need a U Haul truck and would probably get a hernia carrying all the Cannibal hammock gear out to it. (cracked myself up again)

Me for my moto hang "needs"? Assuming money was not a factor.

WBBB XLC 1.7 dbl with adjustable webbing. Not that the standard WBBB I have now does not work just fine. A smidge more length and better view would be the deciding factor.

Hammock Gear Incubator, 0 degree with a custom wide option. Not that the current stock Incubator 20 degree is not fine. A bit more coverage and insulation is the siren call.

Happy as a clam with the Hammock Gear Burrow Custom wide/long sewn foot box. Well maybe a couple extra oz of down might be "needed".

A Hammock Gear Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp with doors. Not that I am not quite content with the AHE Toxaway tarp. Doors and Cuben Fiber high speed low drag wow factor mostly.

A 2Q ZQ Hammock Specialties Under Quilt Protector in Silnylon ripstop. Don't have one now for my Bride's RR and my WBBB and that I plan to fix soon anyway.

Happy as can be with my ground stakes and tarp suspension (Niteize 5mm adjustable bungees) now.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would avoid integrated bugnets or anything with a zipper. I have three hammocks with integrated bugnets and zippers and hate them all. I need to be able to escape my hammock at a moment's notice whether it be to take a whizz, combat a wild animal, or just to run naked through the woods.

I would also not waste money on cheap tarps - the tarp is the most essential piece of equipment. Don't skimp on tarps.
    +1. this is a wise post.

Almost 7yrs and 16 hammocks later (You name the model, I've owned it) and I'm back to "keep it simple stupid". A plain jane 1.0 ripstop no-net BIAS hammock. I love it. No more zipping in/out. No more staking the hammock down or trying to get the UQ to fit around the net. Simplicity is beauty and it's just as comfortable, if not more, than all others I've tried.

I also agree with SilvrSurfr's tarp assessment. My piece of advice however... just save up and go straight to cuben. Weight aside, I think it just pitches so much nicer than Sil.

SJ

I have so much gear I have bought over time. It seems when I (and probably most of you) got into backpacking all of the gear was heavy and the advances that have been made over time has been great.

I would skip all of the old gear I have that weighs to much like my Gregory Forester backpack. It weighs in a 6.5 to 7 lbs but it could carry 80 lbs and still feel comfortable on your back. My first sleeping bag was a synthetic 15° Sierra Designs that weighed 3-4 lbs give or take. I still have both of these items but they are never used. I could probably sell them but shipping would cost a small fortune which may stop them from being sold.

I would buy the lightest gear that works for me and that includes some items that I have now.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies

I'm kinda going through this process now. I'm changing gear up to a more bushcrafty look and feel. So a canvas backpack and a round of camo for this guy.....
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Go titanium

I started out with the most light weight steel gear i could find, and over the years it all got bent or rusted out or cracked. Ive never gone wrong with Titanium. Its not really lighter then other metals but it is so much stronger that they can use 1/3 of the material to get the same item. I dare a person to destroy a Ti pot or spoon through wear and tear. my best example is one a night and morning trapped in my hammock because of the freezing rain outside i was tossing and turning and in the night my glasses fell off my face. I found out the next day that i (300 lbs dude) was laying on my titanium glasses in a hammock all night.
    i got up and found that a lens had come out, i popped it back in and put them back on my face. there was no bending or messing with them, they just fit fine.
    Say no to steel or aluminum. Titanium is the key

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If all my gear suddenly went "poof" I'd likely replace it with something very similar to what I have now. That's not to say the gear I have now isn't maybe the 5th generation of purchases. My oldest piece of hammock gear is my HH Explorer Ultralite but it's been "pimped" over the years. First came a bigger tarp (OES MacCat Deluxe at the moment). then a zipper mod from 2QZQ. Whoopies replaced the strange stiff cordage that comes on them stock. Add a 3/4 length UQ and swapping from using s sleeping bag to a dedicated TQ was probably my most recent conversion.

I also "treated" myself to a WBRR back when they went on sale around Christmas. I love it but it's just a bit heavier for hiking and the bars make rigging the tarp for bad weather a bit tricky. With that said it's super comfortable for napping or car camping in cooler weather. I picked up the double layer so I just slide an inflatable pad in the bottom sleeve and hop in. No fussing with underquilts. It's like a super comfortable cot in the sky!!

I got the DIY but a while back so I made my first 2 tablecloth hammocks. I'm still playing with those but I'm planning to stick one in my bag for relaxing while I'm deployed.

HF is the best and most terrible place for hammock-folk to congregate. If I'd never found the forum I'd likely still be tenting and my hammock would be mostly stock and not very useful or comfortable. All the info I've acquired here over the past few years and the many, many gear "upgrades" have contributed to my hammocking addiction. There might be a 12-step plan for getting off this ride but I haven't been looking ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Wow this thread has really blossomed! I hope our newcomers are gleaning a lot of info that can save them time and money. It's neat to see what everyone would do.

I guess since I started this thread I best put my $.02;

Hammocks - . I love my WBBB but I would replace it with a WBBB XLC 1.1/1.9 in Multicam. I'd like the option of net, over cover or nothing. Then I'd DIY a bunch of netless hammocks for use in the yard with my family.

Insulation - JRB doesn't make 2 of the 3 quilts that I have anymore. My Underquilt it a Mount Washington 3 Convertible, is no longer made. It is great it converts from a full sized to a partial UQ for year round use. I'd miss it if it were gone but, not enough to DIY or contract a similar replacement through a cottage vendor. The truth is Where I camp,northern Minnesota, I'll almost always have a cold night where I'll want a full UQ. I'd stick to a full sized 20F UQ and supplement with an inexpensive CCF pad for the few trips a year that I do when the temps are below -0F. I'd either go with a JRB Mount washington 3 or a Hammock Gear 20F incubator, in Multicam, with an ounce of overstuff. I'd probably go with the incubator so my hammock and UQ would be Multicam on Multicam .

Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    ...There isn't a "right" way or wrong way. You need to figure out what will be comfortable and workable for you. The best way to do that is practice...
    Very true!

This thread is really awesome. Thank you all for your input. It helps us newbies out more than you could imagine. Hyh. Elevate your perspective. Hammock life for sure.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Hmm... an opportunity to not make all the gear mistakes again. definitely interesting.

For starters, I'm in LA, but born and raised in Upstate/Central NY. You simply cannot set foot on the ground down here without something biting you, stinging you, or trying to bite/sting you... this includes all insects and reptiles... only the mammals are even remotely friendly.

I'd still get my Hennessy, but I'd get the zippers on both sides, with the double one on one side and no bottom entry. I'd get a JRB underquilt, but with overstuffing. I'd still get an OES McCat Standard tarp, and I'm still happy with my caribiner setup (vs whoopies or any other system for hanging.)

For cookware, I'd go straight to either a Mors Pot (8 cup aluminum) or a German Mess Kit. I'd still keep my single Lexan tablespoon and mug.

For water purification, I'd go with either Aqua Mira drops or something similar to Polar Pure (sublimated iodine crystals), and forget the filtration route. I would not waste any time on water bottles. I just use a couple Aqua Fina or Gatorade bottles now. No Nalgenes.

In the sleeping bag department, I'd get a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 20* bag, which would help my northern trips out. Down here, I'd keep using the poncho liner system for summer (I generally don't go out much in the summer anymore. 95+ and humid is HOT!) I'd also skip the 'make your own pillow' thing and go straight to a Magellen inflatable pillow. best $6 I've ever spent.

For a stove, I've got mixed feelings... I enjoyed all my alcohol stove experimenting, but in the end, my favorite one is the SuperCat. For liquid fuel stoves, I like the MSR SimmerLite with the 22oz bottle. Don't waste time buying a smaller (12?oz) bottle. I can never get it to pressurize right (runs slow right away). not sure how the bigger one (32oz?) works. For butane, I love my Pocket Rocket. For a twig stove, the best design I've discovered is the Nimblewill Nomad design.

For a pack, I was lucky enough to find a GoLite Gust when they made them... I guess the ULA packs will have to sub hereafter. I have the Circuit, which is a little smaller than the Gust, but still a great pack.

For clothing, I've got some EMS store-brand pants, a Campmor Shirt, a Tilley hat, some Merrill Moab Ventilator shoes, and 100% wool socks. All of these get soaked in Permethrin before use. For raingear, it depends on the trip. I love my USGI poncho for all-around use. DriDucks and FroggToggs are especially good for backpacking. and I have a Campmor cagoule for canoeing.

I have an assortment of other little odd bits of gear, all of which goes on every trip, so I guess i'm happy with it... Silva compass (from the 70s, not the new ones), Silva pin-on (from the 90s), Fallkniven F1 sheath/hunting/skinning knife, Tinker or Huntsman Swiss Army Knife, homemade firesteel handle, homemade repair kit, homemade first aid kit, some sort of metal sheepdog whistle, and I think that's it...

Oh, more on tools... I made a homemade take-down bucksaw that i'm very pleased with, and I have several axes in various sizes (depending on trip/need). From smallest up, they are a Vaughn Sounding Hatchet (10"), a Fiskars hatchet (12"), a Norlund Hatchet (13-14"), a Granfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (19"), and a Norlund Ax (24")

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Insulation cont... I love my 40F JRB Shenandoah TQ but I'd replace it with a JRB stealth paired with a lite weight poncho. That way with the head hole I wouldn't have to pack extra warm clothing for "just incase" cold. I'd get JRB's High sierra sniveler as my cold weather UQ. I wouldn't need a head hole because in cold weather I already have my warm clothing.

Tarps - I'd replace my Warbonnet Superfly in a heartbeat it's a no brainer , it's such a solid winter tarp and the engineering on it it perfect. I'd have to get about 12 Ti stakes to go with it though. Comparatively; I like the ease of setup of my Claytor Diamond Fly(CDF) but, it's heavy. I'd have to see if there is a similar tarp available in cuben, I'd consider a diamond asym. or I'd DIY myself a cuben tarp to CDF specs.
    Last edited by Beast 71; 07-13-2013 at 19:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast