Thread: Greetings!

Greetings!

Hello all.

Folks in a hiking forum I frequent have reccomended this site, I have been searching through it and getting a bit of information overload and will likley be asking some questions/clarifications. I figured I may as well introduce myself.

I hike with 2 boys, who are starting to outgrow thier 3/4 lenth pads and childrens sleeping bags. Our 3 man tent seems to get smaller every trip - funny how they shrink that way. To help alleviate space trouble I have purchased an 8x10 silnylon tarp to stow gear and give us a bit of outdoor "living space". Then I thought "If I am going to be carrying a tarp ANYWAY, carrying a light hammock would give an extra sleeping space for not much extra weight/volume. I thought about buying one, but they seem easy to make and I found some 1.6 Oz ripstop on special and ordered it. After searching on the internet I ordered some whoopee slings for suspension. Once I have the hammock crafted and tested a bit using sleeping pad and sleeping bag, then I intend to make a bug sock for it.

The whole idea is to experiment with this "On the cheap" so to speak. I figure I will use a sleeping pad this season and see if the hammock idea works out. If it does I may start looking at a nice bottom insulating layer for next season.

Thanks for your attention!

MB

Welcome to the forums

• + New Posts