Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Blueberries, Pineys and PBRs - Overnighter w/JollyGreen

I met up with JollyGreen for a last-minute overnighter this weekend. This was the first time I met JollyGreen and he's a great guy - he may hold the record for most group hangs in different states: from NEHHA to MAHHA to Texas and maybe all points in between. He certainly gets out and about quite a bit.

Since he's never been to the Pine Barrens, and it's blueberry season, I suggested we go there. As we drove down in separate cars, we both saw off-and-on rain. After a brief shower, my car would show outside temps dropping from 92 to 84. It didn't rain while we hiked, but the cloud cover and the previous rain definitely helped cool off the hike to Lower Forge. As we approached the turnoff from the Batona Trail to Lower Forge, I saw a Jeep. "Car campers," I said to JollyGreen. "We're gonna have company."

We laughed at the cooler drag marks along the 1/3 mile road to the camp. When we got in sight of our campsite #4, we saw these huge tents at #5. It was our cooler dragging friends. After we set up camp, we took a dip in the Batsto River, then we went over to introduce ourselves. A "Where you from?" from JollyGreen revealed that these five boys was Pineys born and bred! We laughed about them dragging coolers, lawn chairs and massive tents so far and they offered us a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon. Later they made a campfire with store-bought firewood they dragged in. They made hot dogs and offered us some, so I didn't even have to cook my dehydrated meal. We partied with the Pineys and then I hit the hay and slept till 10 am.

In the morning I took a quick dip in the river, then we hit the trail. We didn't get far before we saw an impressive black rat snake - had to be over 5 ft. in length. JollyGreen and I fumbled for cameras, but I certainly didn't get a shot (my camera is officially dead). He looked like this:

There was no cloud cover on the hike out and it was hot as heck. We ate plenty of blueberries. We took a swim in some branch off the Mullica River, and the cool water was mighty fine. Fish started nibbling my ankles and legs and it sure as heck tickled.

A fine time in the woods with the good company of JollyGreen. I look forward to hiking and hanging with him again.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    +Oh, what a beautiful photograph. I hope you enter it is some contests, I think you would take first place easily. Beautiful, it is by far the finest photo I have ever seen of a Rat Snake.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    +Oh, what a beautiful photograph. I hope you enter it is some contests, I think you would take first place easily. Beautiful, it is by far the finest photo I have ever seen of a Rat Snake.
    I didn't take that - my camera died. I was just showing an example I found on the web of the snake I saw. Time to get a new camera.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Hey, no pics so it didn't happen! ;-) Sounds like good fun was had.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Blueberries, Pineys and PBRs - Overnighter w/JollyGreen

Very nice ss. thanks for sharing!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Ha Ha, it was a great time despite the heat, the hike out was brutal but a timely dip in the river gave us our second wind. Never a dull moment with SlvrSrfr, those who have hiked with him know what I'm talking about, hopefully we can get out again soon. Sunday morning I was sure I was hiking with Rip Van Winkle LOL, we got on the trail about 11ish. By the time we got to the cars I was parched and we both had coolers with water waiting for us, thank goodness. To top it off, I stopped and got a lemon ice and then stopped at a farm stand and picked up some more blueberries, nectarines, strawberries, tomatoes and sweet corn for the trip home. Had a great time hiking and hanging with SlvrSrfr, thanks for the invite Craig.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Sunday morning I was sure I was hiking with Rip Van Winkle LOL, we got on the trail about 11ish.
    I do sleep well in a hammock - no more waking up at 3 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. I can now sleep a full 12 hours without stirring.

This was my 3rd trip summer trip with HG 20* UQ and just a fleece blanket as a top quilt. I've slept with overnight lows from 59 degrees to 75 degrees and was neither hot nor cold - just right, no venting.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I'd say I was sorry to have missed this one - but it was a scorcher this weekend, and not being in a giant sandy pine forest with horseflies and such was fine by me.

Glad you gents had a good time. We always seem to meet some characters out at Lower Forge.

• + New Posts