Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images

Sierras, Gull Lake Campground

My family has been going to the same campground since before I was born, and I have been going there my whole life, nearly once a year. From Highway 395 N you will pass Mammoth and about 20-25 miles later will reach the cutoff for the 128, which goes through June Lake, CA. There are 4 lakes on the loop: June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, and Grant Lake, then the 128 meets up once again with the 395. We always go to the 2nd lake in the loop, Gull Lake, and stay in the Gull Lake Campground. This area is part of the Inyo National Foest (and I always though NF's were hammock-friendly). Last year I hung just fine all week and had no complaints. This time there was a new campground host who brought her own rule: No hammocks. Period. Because they "destroy the trees". The very first day I was forced to take down my sleeping quarters.

So the first few nights I accepted defeat and slept in my parents' trailer. Then my mom gave me the idea to just hang my hammock after the host's final pass-through and wake up early to take it down before her morning pass-through. Why didn't I think of that?! I get up bright and early to go fishing anyways. So the last couple nights that is exactly what happened, and the verdict: my girlfriend agrees that the hammock is much more comfortable than the bed! Yes, we were both quite comfortable all night in the DN.

Apart from the little hiccup the trip was great. Lots of great people, great lakes, and great fish. My dad still maintains that there is something special about my hands and that THAT is the reason why I out-catch our group 3:1...and also why he has my bait his hooks for him. We went to a couple new lakes, like the Twin Lakes near Bridgeport, CA, and also checked out a few of our favorites like Lake George in Mammoth. We also took my girlfriend up the Tioga Pass into Yosemite since it was fairly close, but only to Tuolumne Meadows; I will take her in the front way and show her all the falls and valleys one of these days. Pictures will be up soon (hopefully).

P.S. There was another hanger that showed up my last day there and he was chased out by the host because he had no alternative means of sleeping and was not about to go to ground. Sad day for hangers.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think that camp host needs pounded in the ground.....and maybe a night in a hammock

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I promise I will get those pics up soon! I just need to get to a computer, as my tablet makes it an absolute PITA to upload

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    haters gunna hate. f' em.
    have safe
    be fun.
    great story thanks man.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Well, I tried to upload some pictures, but I got an error both when I tried to attach them in my post and when I tried to upload them as an album.

Great move. There are usually work-a rounds in life to get past others attitudes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I had just never met someone so adamantly anti-hammock before! It was bizarre!

• + New Posts