ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    PLUQ+Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps

Using 5mm climbing rope for a suspension

I replaced the original line on my ENO Doublenest with 5mm climbing rope and left a 5' on each side to tie off to my tree straps. I used the 5mm Mamut power rope because it was softer and easier to tie than the stock line.

Anyone with more experience see a problem with this setup?

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well it's nylon and will stretch on you as you lay there. You might be scrubbing the ground by morning. Climbing webbing and rope is designed to stretch so it can absorb impacts from falls. Not good for hanging your hammock from. Best to avoid nylon webbing or ropes ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I agree about the stretch in ropes. However, it rigged where the webbing is close to the tree and the suspension is attached without much extra webbing, the stretch will be minimal. If you use webbing and have a long length of it away from the tree, you will have a lot of stretch.

Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Images
    I agree with hawk-eye.

If its nylon rope, it will stretch quite a bit. Any Dynamic / climbing rope will.. By design.

Nylon can stretch up to 30% apparently. I've never seen that much myself, but I think that # will vary from rope to rope

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Tbird DL camo
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Exped
    Images

Using 5mm climbing rope for a suspension

The Mammut rope is a static rope with very little stretch (max 5% elastic elongation after pretension). Dynamic ropes are used by lead climbers and have stretch to 'soften' a fall (up to 40 % of EE).

But 5% EE is still more than the 0.5 to 1% of Amsteel. Climbing ropes are not build to hold loads without stretch so they are good for climbing, not so good for hanging.

Like Womble said, its a static rope - little to no stretch.
    Mammut 5mm cord is rated at 5.5kn Impact force (dynamic loading), which is just over 500kg.. id say you are safe with the 5mm.

Note: im using 4mm climbing cord as 6" extensions from the hammock body to a set of ring buckles for webbing and haven't experienced any stretch or slippages, at all, yet.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    5mm seems really thin to be an active climbing rope. I usually see 8-12 mm if I remember correctly. I don't know the mammut line but assuming it is a static rope you should be ok as long as the SWL is within tolerances.

Another problem with nylon is it has a very good stretch memory which means it springs back to original length when unloaded. Again, very good for dynamic purposes but it means it will never "stretch out". So whatever stretch you experience one time will occur over and over again until catastrophic failure. Nylon rope is subject to internal overheating from repeated stretching even as a static rope. The Coast Guard discontinued using nylon tow ropes decades ago because of rope explosions from over heating. I'm not suggesting your suspension will explode but there are reasons climbing ropes should be replaced after sever events. Polyethylene ropes do not have the same characteristics, but are never used for climbing for that reason.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images

Yup

I purchased some 4mm 'climbing" rope from REI. It is PMI cordage. I planned to use it as a ridgeline for a large kitchen tarp. I am really disappointed. No matter how hard I pull, I cannot get it tight enough to keep from stretching and sagging. I always end up retying, because after a couple of adjustments i have bottomed out the truckers hitch. They had it labeled as polyester. After a little research turns out it nylon over nylon. Back to NE staysetx for me.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I purchased some 4mm 'climbing" rope from REI. It is PMI cordage. I planned to use it as a ridgeline for a large kitchen tarp. I am really disappointed. No matter how hard I pull, I cannot get it tight enough to keep from stretching and sagging. I always end up retying, because after a couple of adjustments i have bottomed out the truckers hitch. They had it labeled as polyester. After a little research turns out it nylon over nylon. Back to NE staysetx for me.
    You will be hard pressed to get a trucker's hitch tight enough anyhow. You would be better off using a taut line hitch or a small prussic to tighten the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    5mm seems really thin to be an active climbing rope. I usually see 8-12 mm if I remember correctly. I don't know the mammut line but assuming it is a static rope you should be ok as long as the SWL is within tolerances........
    FYI everyone, in climbing terms 7mm and under are generally called climbing CORD, not rope. These are used for prussic's, holding/organizing gear, as emergency belts, and even replacing shoelaces etc.

8-10mm is used in dual/twin rope climbing, and 11mm plus used for single rope systems including lead climbing.

(I climb and trust anything over 3mm to hold my static weight, and anything over 10mm for climbing & leading - dynamic falls)

Swankfly - try using a main climbing brand cord - mammut, dmm, allcord, beal etc..