Hammock
    Weigth Weenie + Buginator
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    A good practice is to apply the seal when the tarp is hanging taut. That insures that the seams are as open as possible for the silicone to flow into them.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    That was what I was thinking, gravitino, thanks for verifying unfortunately I won't be able to leave it pitched for the full 24 hour cure time, but at least a few hours.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Due to circumstances beyond my control it appears that I will not be getting it done today. Shame. My next day off is Thurs unless I get called in.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Hey guys, new here to the hammocking world and I have just placed my order with Warbonnet. Along with all of the goodies I am expecting from Brandon is a Super Fly Tarp and I am thinking I need to seem seal this tarp before I get started.

I am not exactly sure about what to do. In this thread it looks like I can track down the right silicone at my auto zone so tha is not a problem. I have never really looked at a tarp, is it one solid piece of material? And if that is the case than there are no seems except the pull outs. However, I am thinking that the tarp has seems in a few places. Do I just paint the seem sealer on the seems?

I appreciate any help you can give me. I am trying to get everything ready so when my stuff gets here and can begin rigging it up which means I can get into the woods faster. Thanks.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Also, do I mix the sealant with anything or apply it right out of the tube? Thanks.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Hey guys, new here to the hammocking world and I have just placed my order with Warbonnet. Along with all of the goodies I am expecting from Brandon is a Super Fly Tarp and I am thinking I need to seem seal this tarp before I get started.

I am not exactly sure about what to do. In this thread it looks like I can track down the right silicone at my auto zone so tha is not a problem. I have never really looked at a tarp, is it one solid piece of material? And if that is the case than there are no seems except the pull outs. However, I am thinking that the tarp has seems in a few places. Do I just paint the seem sealer on the seems?

I appreciate any help you can give me. I am trying to get everything ready so when my stuff gets here and can begin rigging it up which means I can get into the woods faster. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Also, do I mix the sealant with anything or apply it right out of the tube? Thanks.
    Congrats on the SF.
    For seam sealing, there are a couple schools of thought. You don't have to do it at all. In a storm, the tie-outs drip some, but if you are in A-frame mode, the drips just go down the side of the tarp. If you are in porch mode, the tie outs aren't above the hammock itself.
    On the other hand, sealing the tie outs is very simple. If I am sitting under the tarp in a storm making some coffee, i don't want any drips.
    Here's what Warbonnet guy posted recently...
    "Silicone on the underside of the tarp only, on the stitches only, and as thin as possible and use some force with your finger to force it into the stitches as much as you can."
    No need to mix the stuff from the auto parts store with anything.
    Only the tie outs need it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks TallPaul! I really appreciate the help.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    You are most welcome.

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Once your sealant is totally dry,,take a cotton ball,,and some talcum powder, and powder the seam sealant so that when you fold the tarp or use tarp skins,,it doesn't stick together. You only have to rub the powder very lightly on it one time.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks Acer, I would have never known that. It makes sense.