Hello everyone, I'm a 31-year-old libra who enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, and reading a good book by the fireplace...

...Oops, wrong forum. :s

Okay, more seriously, I decided to join this forum as a means of discussing this new way of camping that I recently decided to try out, known as hammock camping. My recent camping experience has been almost entirely car camping and, in some cases, RV camping with my in-laws, but I used to do a lot of backpacking when I was a young man in scouts, though.

I decided to try out hammocking because I recently became an adult leader in a local boy scout troop and I needed to get some gear together for scout camp, which starts next week, as well as re-establish my camping kit, which had dwindled since my scouting days. In my research, I stumbled onto ultralight backpacking, which really got me excited as a new philosophy to apply to my camping. That research led me to the concept of using a hammock. I had heard a few other people rave about the merits of hammock camping, so I finally decided to try it out.

I currently have a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock that I got for $20 on Amazon, and I've made one minor modification to it before doing an overnight test hang at my in-laws' house this past weekend (sadly, I have nothing to hang from in my own yard). Despite a few quirks, I really enjoyed it and it was one of the best nights of outdoor sleep I have had in a very long time. I'll be posting pics of this test hang in another thread.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.