Thread: UQ advice

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

UQ advice

Over the winter I made my first underquilt. It's nice and warm but it has some problems
    Main Problem: I made it WAY too wide, I thought that it would be nice having a wide underquilt (so that I could roll over and switch positions without leaving it), but found that getting something that wide to tie up over the ridgeline... It was pretty hard to get it tied on without too much sag on the underneath.
    The second problem that added to it was that I just used some cheap fabric that I had laying around that I made the underquilt with. The fabric is too heavy i'm sure. (it also wasn't coated or anything so i was loosing feathers, but I don't care so much about that, so long as it gets me though a few trips a year until I get enough to make one with all the right fabrics and cords...)

So, that being said I got some new fabric, it is coated and I think it should do fine with not loosing feathers , also the new fabric is quite a bit lighter.

My real question is this, how wide is an underquilt supposed to be?
    Not really sure but this may depend on the person. For a more accurate measure I am pretty slender, 6ft tall and about 145 lbs. I don't know how to measure shoulders, but laying down on a tape measure on the floor Roughly 20 maybe 21 inches from the end of one deltoid to the other at the widest.

When I found the fabric I had to buy it, sometimes I feel addicted...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Here are some specs from Underground Quilts. Most of the cottage vendors here post them on their sites. Would be a good idea for you to check them all out to help find what might work best for you.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchi1d View Post
    So, that being said I got some new fabric, it is coated and I think it should do fine with not loosing feathers ....

My real question is this, how wide is an underquilt supposed to be?
    Width is sort of personal preference. I believe I made my two underquilts about 44 inches wide, including the side channels. Having said that, I think my "0" degree winter UQ is wider than my "20" degree UQ.

As far as fabric, what you want is "calendered" and not coated fabric. Calendering is a process that makes ordinary fabric "down proof." Coated fabric will capture moisture vapor from your body and breathing and will wet the down. Not good.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Howdo,

For quilts you want to get a calendared nylon fabric as a minimum, preferable rip-stopped. The process of calendaring flattens the individual threads under pressure and heat. This results in a fabric that has a tight fit between individual threads holding down clusters in. Just a note even the best fabric will still pass feathers, and even the best down will still have a small percentage of feather. The spine of the feather will poke through the fabric, between the threads. Do not pull it through, reach behind it and pull it back into the quilt.

As for coated/uncoated if you have a waterproof material it will not work without extra steps. Down needs to loft up which means air needs to get into the quilt. And to pack the quilt air needs to get out. You could use a water proof fabric but you would need to provide some way for air to enter and exit the quilt, stitch holes will not be enough. If the fabric has a water repellant or DWR coat it is still breathable enough for use in a quilt and is our preferred fabric for quilts. A true DWR fabric is you first line of defense to moisture and wind. A good DWR is like a good wind breaker on a cold fall day. Cuts the wind and keep light rain out allowing you to stay warm and dry, or in this case allowing your down to stay warm and dry. A truly breathable fabric will not cut the wind as well as a quality DWR fabric in my opinion.

Good luck with your project, the pride in knowing you have put time and effort into what your sleeping in is a great feeling...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great, great advice. I did some testing with the fabric and it is semi-breathable, but also pretty water resistant. I'm running a couple of experiments on the fabric (compared to some untreated) to see how much of a moisture barrier it poses. If the tests go well maybe I'll try it, if not maybe I'll have a new tarp soon
    Again great advice, I'm glad that I have the opportunity to learn from the experts, it sure makes this easier.

• + New Posts