Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock under hammock as insulation "pocket"?????

New to hammock....

My idea, I am sure it has been explored before...would a second cheapo hammock, strung under my Hennessey Asym, work as the first step in under insulation.

The second step of course being laying/layering a sleeping bag, emergency blanket, etc between the two layers???

Seem feasible/been done?????

Feedback appreciated

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    New to hammock....

My idea, I am sure it has been explored before...would a second cheapo hammock, strung under my Hennessey Asym, work as the first step in under insulation.

The second step of course being laying/layering a sleeping bag, emergency blanket, etc between the two layers???

Seem feasible/been done?????

Feedback appreciated
    Def feasible, and has been done. 1st, a Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter's(HHSS) under cover(UC) is essentially another ( custom fit) hammock hung under the HH hammock, though too light duty, and with too weak of a suspension, to support your weight. It consists of built in elastics which, when the UC is attached at the correct spots at the ends of the hammock, snug it up with just enough tension to lift the HH pad up against your back(with a little help from the pads own weak suspension). In addition, it can help keep a certain amount of other added insulation snugged up against you, although it does have a tendency to snug down too much compressing the loft.

Also consider double layer hammocks, AKA "pad pockets". This is very similar to having a 2nd hammock sewn to the 1st hammock. These are handy for placing a pad into, so it will stay still, and they often also increase the strength rating of the hammock.

Hanging another hammock under your main hammock, adding insulation, and adjusting tension correctly, should accomplish much of the same tasks.

Do a search for "Garlington Insulator", which is related to what you are asking about.

Welcome to HF!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-01-2013 at 17:32.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i've heard of similar things. people even using leaves and stuff as insulation in a pinch. probably not the best if you are weight-conscious, but it would probably work.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard William. I use something similar in a very lightweight fabric with a polyester UQ sewn to it. More like the Garlington Taco mentioned above. It has gathered ends and replaces all of the suspension associated with hanging a UQ. A Top Entry Design (TED) bugnet is sewn to the edges of the undercover making a single component incorporating the UQ and bugnet. In colder weather I have placed a piece of insulfleece between the hammock and undercover and survived 25 degrees F. Mine is still in the prototype stage but is working for me and my requirements.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

thanks to all

appreciate the input...going to play around with it....probably end up trying all my "original" ideas that all have tried already...but then again, half the fun is the ka-noodling and exploring and learning...right????

I've done this with two Grand trunk ultralights (bought a second one when they were $12 on amazon) and it works well. Recently I removed the metal hardware from the second one and attached it to the suspension of the main (top) hammock, creating a gap that's the perfect width to stuff my down jacket / vest underquilt... thingy I'm working on (basically just a down jacket and a vest attached at the hems). I keep wondering if just using a space blanket (maybe one of the more heavy duty ones?) as an undercover wouldnt be a lighter, warmer alternative?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also consider double layer hammocks, AKA "pad pockets". This is very similar to having a 2nd hammock sewn to the 1st hammock. These are handy for placing a pad into, so it will stay still, and they often also increase the strength rating of the hammock.
    If you have a double layer hammock, to save weight, can I skip the UQ and pad and stuff extra clothes, towels, etc. in between the layers? Will me laying on the layer of clothes compress it to much for it to be effective?

Images

Hammock under hammock as insulation "pocket"?????

Can you skip the pad or UQ? Not so much. Because the extra layer in a double layer Hammock Is pretty close to the first layer. Meaning things will be pretty tight in there, unlike a separate hammock that you might hang under the first hammock and then adjust the Tightness. So any kind of puffy insulation that you might put in there is going to be pretty well flattened, getting rid of most of the insulation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-05-2013 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Not so much. Because the extra layer in a double layer Hammock Is pretty close to the first layer.
    I just ordered some material to make my first double layer hammock. I plan on it just being a simple gathered end, no-sew setup, at least til I get it dialed in. Was thinking about adding some slack into the bottom layer for insulative purposes. Would be nice to make the bottom layer "adjustable", for pad mode / "pocket" mode

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    I used my 2QZQ UQ protector as a shield but it needs as much tuning - if not more - than a regular UQ. If the additional layer gets the load of the hammock (butt, shoulders) and takes the shape of the hammock, you will feel the cold. So it must be loose, but without gaps at the borders, just very much like a UQ. If you want to use another hammock, you should make it at bit wider and longer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast