Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    5

    Need Help with Sites to Hang on CO Trip

    My buddy and I will be in CO next week. We are going to rent a car and some DH mountain bikes and hit up Keystone and Winter Park for a couple days.

    We are wondering what we should do. National Forest camping, thanks to the posts below, might be our best option. We are just looking for a place to park and camp. However, I am not familiar with camping in the National Forest. How does it work? Do I need a permit? Just pick a spot and we are good to go?

    Also, first time poster and soon to be first time hanger! Thanks!
    Last edited by igzekyativ; 08-01-2013 at 16:39. Reason: Updates

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    You are looking for formal campgrounds?
    If so, you might be in trouble. Both the areas you mentioned are pretty popular areas for locals and tourists this time of year. Securing a campsite at this late date might prove problematic.

    I'm not real familiar with the campgrounds up in that area for exactly the reasons I mentioned above. I'll be happy to dig through some of my resource books/guides for you, but the timing is my biggest concern. Just don't bother looking at any of the State Park campgrounds; they are almost militantly opposed to hammock use. Stick with the National Parks and Forests out here and you'll be golden.
    Trust nobody!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Oh yeah, and welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

  4. #4
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,199
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
    My buddy and I will be in CO next week. We are going to rent a car and some DH mountain bikes and hit up Keystone and Winter Park for a couple days.

    We are wondering if anyone knows of good hammock friendly campgrounds near both Keystone and Winter Park.

    I checked out Dillion Lake which has 5 campgrounds and very close to Keystone, but the beetles have killed a lot of their trees (I am still waiting for a call back on whether or not hammock camping is ok there).

    I thought I found a couple sites, but according to this St. Louis Creek and Byers Creek have been hurt by the beetles (with Byers closing completly). Midlands is $100 a night, yuck.

    Edit: I spoke with someone on the phone just now and Idlewild and Robbers Roost (no potable water) seem promising! First come first serve, $16 a night.

    Now just to find a place near Keystone! Any suggestions are welcome.

    Also, first time poster and soon to be first time hanger! Thanks!
    National Forest is the way to go if you want to hammock or a motel with a hottub might be better if you haven't done much DH.
    The resort trails are rough and can beat you to death.

    In Breckenridge (Dillon/Frisco/Breck same area) find the TH to The Peak Trail and park your car there.
    Photo take from parking lot.

    Hike in 100 ft and set up camp.


    I rode both Keystone and Winter Park. Keystone better and bigger.


    Last edited by OutandBack; 08-01-2013 at 16:36.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You are looking for formal campgrounds?
    If so, you might be in trouble. Both the areas you mentioned are pretty popular areas for locals and tourists this time of year. Securing a campsite at this late date might prove problematic.

    I'm not real familiar with the campgrounds up in that area for exactly the reasons I mentioned above. I'll be happy to dig through some of my resource books/guides for you, but the timing is my biggest concern. Just don't bother looking at any of the State Park campgrounds; they are almost militantly opposed to hammock use. Stick with the National Parks and Forests out here and you'll be golden.
    I am not really looking for formal camping.

    I was digging around somemore and found dispersed camping which has a section for Keystone. I am not familiar with this. Just drive around, find a place to park, and camp?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    National Forest is the way to go if you want to hammock or a motel with a hottub might be better if you haven't done much DH.
    The resort trails are rough and can beat you to death.

    In Breckenridge (Dillon/Frisco/Breck same area) find the TH to The Peak Trail and park your car there.
    Hike in 100 ft and set up camp.
    Is this how camping in the National Forest works? Just find a spot and camp?

  7. #7
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,199
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
    Is this how camping in the National Forest works? Just find a spot and camp?
    Yes unless you see "NO Camping Signs"
    Check just before you leave for fire bans. Western slope is very touchy about fires do to all the beetle kill.

    Where are you renting bikes from?
    If you want to drull over the latest DH bikes and gear checkout MoJo Wheels. They are a DH only shop I don't think they rent.
    They can offer the best advice on where to ride.
    https://mojowheels.com/Contact.aspx
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Yes unless you see "NO Camping Signs"
    Check just before you leave for fire bans. Western slope is very touchy about fires do to all the beetle kill.

    Where are you renting bikes from?
    If you want to drull over the latest DH bikes and gear checkout MoJo Wheels. They are a DH only shop I don't think they rent.
    They can offer the best advice on where to ride.
    https://mojowheels.com/Contact.aspx
    I know Bob Allen from Mojo Wheels (my sisters boyfriend), so we will talk with them!

    You got a link to the TH you mentioned? A link for us to check for a fireban?

  9. #9
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,199
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
    I know Bob Allen from Mojo Wheels (my sisters boyfriend), so we will talk with them!

    You got a link to the TH you mentioned? A link for us to check for a fireban?

    HaHa! small world...

    http://www.everytrail.com/guide/peaks-trail

    http://blog.gobreck.com/index.php/ou...-go-fire-bans/
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •