Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Camo
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z Lite
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Question Self-Tensioning Lines: Jacks vs. DIY?

Can anyone offer a comparison of the performance of Jack's self-tensioning lines (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/self-tensioning-lines/)
    vs.
    the DIY method listed at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731?

What do the Theraband pieces really do for you?

I have a Mamajamba hex tarp. I'm happy to go with DIY, but a friend recommended the Jacks-R-Better.

Thanks!
    http://planetmath.org/equationofcate...usofvariations
    "...the catenary, this marvelous graceful thing, this joy of physics, this perfect balance between rebellion and obedience, is God's own signature on earth. I think it pleases Him to see them raised.'' -- Mark Helprin, "Winter's Tale"

Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/DIY
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I generally have too many DIY projects going at one time to be able to do all I could do, so there's some stuff I'm not even going to try. Tarp tensioners fall into that category. I uses Jack's and I doubt I could make any as well as they can anyway.

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    working on it
    Insulation
    Golite 20 topquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Sargevining, DO you larkshead the loop to the tarp tieout. or hook the loop on the stake. I just got a set and was thinking of using the loop at the stake and the having a Prusik at the tie out to have the east of adding a little extra tension when needed. I also think if the stake would come loose the weight of the rubber tensioner would cause it to drop instead of sling shooting.

Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Sargevining, DO you larkshead the loop to the tarp tieout. or hook the loop on the stake. I just got a set and was thinking of using the loop at the stake and the having a Prusik at the tie out to have the east of adding a little extra tension when needed. I also think if the stake would come loose the weight of the rubber tensioner would cause it to drop instead of sling shooting.
    I use them as well, at least for one of my tarps. I hook the loop over the stake, and have a prussik at the tarp tie out point. That way I can adjust from under the tarp, if needed.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ 20*/Zep 0*
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    I ordered a couple of sets of the Jacks tensioners today. I just didn't want to bother making them.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HH Asym, GG 10x12
    Insulation
    UGQ,DW,BA,Overbag
    Suspension
    Strap
    My 12x10 tarp six Jacks tensioners larkshead MSR pull loop with flyz on the tarp end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!

Self-Tensioning Lines: Jacks vs. DIY?

I just got rid of my jrb tensioners. I found them cool & effective but far heavier than necessary. I don't recall the weight of jbr's but my poor choices in tensioners & heavy shock cord (along with Dutch's continuous ridgeline & flies) added almost half a pound of weight to my tarp setup! I was going to make the shock cord version but am going cuben and don't need a tensioner at all. Just throwing that out there in case you hadn't considered the weight difference. Otherwise, they're an awesome product.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Images
    no need to make thing complicated. I just folding a piece of shock cord in half, then wrapped my cord around it to make it neater...