Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

What do you want out of a hang?

Ok...
    So in the aftermath of a good Oregon Summer hang... only our Third.. We began a discussion while sitting around the camp fire as to places to hold the next hang and how we can get more folks out to the hangs.
    For some reason, this idea has not allowed me to think of to much else today, and so I thought I would open up the discussion here so we can have some fantastic hangs in the future.
    We all have watched the videos of neat hangs in the frozen north, we have watched the forums and seen how they do it in the midwest and southeast... so what do we need to do up here in the Northwest to have super hangs.
    Now for those of you not in our region, feel free to chime in and let us know what works where ever you are...
    Allow me to kick things off with some ideas that I have thought about.
    1. work shops. Do we want to have a work shop format while at the hang? DIY gear, set ups, or other hammock/camping related subjects.
    2. Trips. Day hikes, points of interest, or hang locations that allow for either multiple camp sites over the weekend or destination sites that offer attractions besides the trees.
    3. Prizes and other incentives?
    ok... there is a start for the discussion..lets get started so we can start having some awesome HF hangs. What do you need to see and do at the next hang?
    Discuss...
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    A well advertised date and location well in advance.
    How to's interest me because I'm new at this suspended stuff.
    A location that supports day hikes of varied skill level, fly fishing or other cool stuff to occupy a bit of time would be good.
    Raffles would be nice too, but it seems that ups the organizers commitment quite a bit.

I'm eager to get to a group outing...I'm such a social creature.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I like the idea of a hang that encourages new hangers to come out and join the fun. How do I define that? Well, some workshops and easy access for those who may be feeling a bit timid, at first.

A number of us have a wide range of hammocks to demo, so we could include a try 'em out session. Trouble is, we probably need close access to parking to manage it.

The challenge is finding some way to balance newbie interest with experienced pro. It can be tough to satisfy everyone with one hang. Nice thing is, we don't need to limit ourselves to one or two major hangs a year. Diversity of hangs and changing up hang locations will keep both newbies and seasoned pros happy.

The "white elephant" exchange GaryR started is a great way to have some fun, too. Maybe we can include variations on that activity.

I dunno... More (laughing) bees?
    (sorry, backpacker)

Great topic.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    We were kicking the idea around of how to make the Hang and organizing a bunch of West Coast folks into arriving at the same place on a given weekend, work.

It seems like three people carried all the responsibilty for the prior hangs, which is really not fair, there is a lot of work involved, in the planning stage. In my opinion there is too much picking apart where to have the hang instead of offering firm suggestions of suitable sites.

I would like to see people who are interested in having future Hangs, give positive firm suggestions. I realize that is a tall challenge, since we are West Coast types, however that I believe is the only way we are going to be able to have these events.

I noticed there were requests made for someone to give instructions such as making alki stoves or whoopie slings, however there were no takers.

Very difficult decisions need to be made, if the Annual Hangs are going to continue. Now, I do not know if this sight is even going to continue, since the Mods have resigned. I for one am not going to donate $ when I do not know where it goes. I thought this was an honest sight, however after I read the comments by the Mods, I am beginning to wonder.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I doubt I will go there, the commute is a killer. OTOH I will offer this. I do not think a lot of organization is a good idea. A small group to get the site is needed as there has to be a focal point to deal with the aurthorities. From there I think you would get a better experience with a couple of sign up type sheets. Who wants something, who will offer to provide it, and who offers to bring what. Put them in a public mode where people can do their own changes.

I also agree with Kayt about needing a meeting spot close to the parking. Few folks will demo Dutch oven cooking 10 miles down the trail... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Location Location Location

The larger "successful" group hangs have been to have been a short hike (less than 1 mile) or no hike (car camp) to the hang spot.

Making things accessible to everyone regardless of physical ability or gear capabilities is key IMHO. Some folks may only have a blue tarp, the blanket off their bed, and their backpack from gradeschool to carry it all in. Pretty difficult to trek this in miles from the car.

Having the location close to cars also means folks can bring the kitchen sink if they are new to things which instills a greater sense of security and encourages them to come out rather than being miles from their car if things go wrong.

Having the location close also means folks doing demos and other activities will be able to bring the entire stable of hammocks, stoves, items to DIY, etc. etc.

Folks that like to hike can be appeased by finding a location that is both close to cars for the aforementioned reasons and also has dayhike opportunities.

My .02

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You could always hire Shug.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Tendertoe's reflections on accessible location are excellent. Spouses and children may be more likely to attend if it's car-camping, with a pavillion and rest rooms. Families make for a nice group hang.

Hikers like a site with good pre-hike and post-hike possibilities.

Small workshops have been popular at MAHHA, but a given topic isn't likely to have repeat participants from year to year. The tour of different hammock setups, however has grown in popularity.

Raffles and potluck dinners are great.

Success gives growing pains.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I'm game to give demos on making whoopies, stoves, jimmy-rigging a sleeping bag for
    an underquilt. Sign me up!! I'll even ride a unicycle if'n it'll get more folks out.
    Erm... Better make it a tricycle.

LOL.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    If my work/vacation schedule allows, I'll show up...no matter where it's at. I think the main problem is that sometimes we can't scout out places due to snow melt, etc, until later in the summer...Hideaway Lake/Serene Lake/Rock Lakes/etc is a perfect spot but the road was not accessible until early July this year and that was too late for people to plan.

I'd be happy to offer a workshop on backpacking meal-making strategies (aka freezer bag cooking, DIY) or perhaps do backpack shakedowns for people interested in going lighter. With enough notice, I can get some demo packs from Gossamer Gear for people to try out too. I think workshops would be fun!

Great idea to start brainstorming!
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

• + New Posts