Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Parachute(crinkle taffeta) vs Polly vs ripstop vs nylon?

Hey guys viper here!
    I have had something in my mind lastly and I can't figuer it out.
    Well from what I have herd ad seen my self most commercial gathered end hammocks are made of crinkle taffeta aka parachute material. Strong but rather heavy.
    So if so many people think ripstop is the go to fabric for hammocks how come only kammock roo uses ripstop type material and all these commercial hammocks are the parachute material if rip stop would maybe be a better alternative?
    I just ordered some Polly crinkle taffeta I wana try making a hammock out of that to see howmi like it vs my ripstop 1.9.
    Anyways I guess to sum it up why do so many of these hammock company's use this parachute material vs other fabrics that could be better? Since say crinkle taffeta and ripstop are pretty close to the same price range depending where you get them at. Thanks guy!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have no idea what terms the various hammock sellers are using for their fabrics, but I think it is safe to say that parachutes were never made from any of the crinkle materials.

With my very limited exposure to any type of parachute, all I have seen have been constructed of ripstop nylon.

I may be wrong, but I also think most of the large commercial hammock sellers use ripstop or plain taffeta materials rather than crinkle materials.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I have no idea what terms the various hammock sellers are using for their fabrics, but I think it is safe to say that parachutes were never made from any of the crinkle materials.

With my very limited exposure to any type of parachute, all I have seen have been constructed of ripstop nylon.

I may be wrong, but I also think most of the large commercial hammock sellers use ripstop or plain taffeta materials rather than crinkle materials.
    Oh for real? Why are so many people saying crinkle taffeta is parachute Materal then? And why don't more company's use ripstop nylon hen?0_o
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm not sure who has been saying that parchutes are made of crinkle taffeta, but I'm pretty sure that is false information. As far as companies using ripstop for hammocks, there are several that use it. A good number of the venders here use it, and a few of the mass produced companies use it as well. Both fabrics make a nice hammock, but from what I've seen, the ripstop comes in lighter/thinner options.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    ...Why are so many people saying crinkle taffeta is parachute Materal then?...
    Got some examples?

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Got some examples?
    I don't remember what vids i have seen it on YouTube people talking about the basic commercial gathered end hammocks like grand trunk eno ticket to the moon all those i keep hearing are parachute hammocks and are also made out of crinkle taffeta(nylon from what I understand) parachute Materal?
    Paragon Fury

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    So is their a reason why say like eno grant trunk ticket to the moon sky tent all of those are using some sort of crinkled taffeta fabric instead of ripstop nylon?
    Paragon Fury

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    So is their a reason why say like eno grant trunk ticket to the moon sky tent all of those are using some sort of crinkled taffeta fabric instead of ripstop nylon?
    Strength and durability probably

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Grand Trunk is made of polyester taffeta, its not crinkled, good material if you ask me, nice feel to the skin, durable as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm no expert but this is what I have seen so far. Many companies like the ones you mention often use the same offshore manufacturers and rebrand them for sale. No coincidence that they share the same design with the differently coloured side panels. Being a heavier material they can also have a higher weight rating which is good if you want to market it to a wide range of consumers. They are also marketed as a general use hammock as opposed to a specific hammock camping application. Many people, me included start off with these parachute nylon hammocks because they are more prevalent and a good way to get started but move on to the cottage vendors.

Crinkle taffeta is similar to the poiyester taffeta but is thicker and retains the crinkled appearance which makes for a nice looking table cloth. The cottage vendors here use lighter materials better suited to the needs of the clientelle which are lighter weight and bulk.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast