DIY grey bones hammock.
    Tarp
    DIY Cuban hex tarp
    Insulation
    Kodak mummy bag
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm no expert but this is what I have seen so far. Many companies like the ones you mention often use the same offshore manufacturers and rebrand them for sale. No coincidence that they share the same design with the differently coloured side panels. Being a heavier material they can also have a higher weight rating which is good if you want to market it to a wide range of consumers. They are also marketed as a general use hammock as opposed to a specific hammock camping application. Many people, me included start off with these parachute nylon hammocks because they are more prevalent and a good way to get started but move on to the cottage vendors.

Crinkle taffeta is similar to the poiyester taffeta but is thicker and retains the crinkled appearance which makes for a nice looking table cloth. The cottage vendors here use lighter materials better suited to the needs of the clientelle which are lighter weight and bulk.
    Dang I got some bad Imformation then!>_>
    Well I ordered some crinkled taffeta Polly the other day and its on its way. (Herd nylon and Polly crinkeled taffeta have the same feel) but Polly doesn't stretch as where nylon does. So do they not feel the same?
    Okay so crinkeled taffeta is NOT parachute Materal then. And those eno grant trunk those company's fabrics aren't even crinkeled taffeta?
    Viper

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    ...Okay so crinkeled taffeta is NOT parachute Materal then. And those eno grant trunk those company's fabrics aren't even crinkeled taffeta?
    Correct....

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ...I may be wrong, but I also think most of the large commercial hammock sellers use ripstop or plain taffeta materials rather than crinkle materials.
    Correct....
    Hmmm...looks like I was wrong. I was thinking of the crinkled poly taffeta the "tablecloth" hammocks are made of and the commercially made hammocks do not use this material.

However, according to sclittlefield in this thread, they do use Jet Dyed Antron Nylon Taffeta which is also crinkled.

Viper.....I apologise for adding to your confusion about hammock fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY grey bones hammock.
    Tarp
    DIY Cuban hex tarp
    Insulation
    Kodak mummy bag
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Hmmm...looks like I was wrong. I was thinking of the crinkled poly taffeta the "tablecloth" hammocks are made of and the commercially made hammocks do not use this material.

However, according to sclittlefield in this thread, they do use Jet Dyed Antron Nylon Taffeta which is also crinkled.

Viper.....I apologise for adding to your confusion about hammock fabrics.
    Haha your fine! Hmm well I guess just hope,I like my Polly crinkle taffeta I ordered then
    Viper

Hammock
    Byer Moskito (first one)
    Images
    I think I just got more confused. I just made a hammock over the weekend out of poly taffeta. I already had a Byer Moskito and I really liked it because of the stretch. The poly didn't have any.

So you're saying I can get nylon taffeta also?

Hammock
    DIY Black Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Taffeta is just the weave pattern. If I'm not mistaken you can get it in any material. If you look real close you'll see that ripstop is just taffeta with the extra threads added for tear resistance. Or you could say that taffeta is just ripstop without the extra threads.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Black Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    I'm sure there's a little more to it than that but you get what I mean.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Its almost too close now to just get started but for future reference.... a lot of diy project prototypes or v1 v2 in your learning curve make great Christmas presents.. down here even if it's krappy they just say "oh bless his heart. Look what bubba tried to make for you"