Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 258
  1. #101
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,355
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    Hey gang,

    The schedule is not looking good, unless highly unlikely star alignment occurs I am not going to be able to make this one. I haven't made one since last winter and I am really disappointed. If things change it will be on the week of the trip so I will keep you posted for a possible last minute inclusion, otherwise I wish you all a great adventure and look forward to seeing everyone soon.

    Cedar

    P.S. Chard, I think Canoe lake's park office may only open on weekends after labour day and may be closed after Thanksgiving so you will need to check but you might have to get your permits at the west gate.
    That sucks man. We'll miss you on this one.

    In terms of location, I'd like to put it out there that we stay in the hwy 60 corridor for access. Less of a drive for most people I would think.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  2. #102
    Jayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    1,088
    Ya Cedar thats a bummer. Hope to see you on the next one.

  3. #103
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    964
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    Hey gang,

    The schedule is not looking good, unless highly unlikely star alignment occurs I am not going to be able to make this one. I haven't made one since last winter and I am really disappointed. If things change it will be on the week of the trip so I will keep you posted for a possible last minute inclusion, otherwise I wish you all a great adventure and look forward to seeing everyone soon.
    I'll have to agree with Bubba and Jayson, that's a real drag. I'll keep looking up, watching Mars and hoping you can make it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    P.S. Chard, I think Canoe lake's park office may only open on weekends after labour day and may be closed after Thanksgiving so you will need to check but you might have to get your permits at the west gate.
    Good to know. I'll remember to ask when I book the reservation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    In terms of location, I'd like to put it out there that we stay in the hwy 60 corridor for access. Less of a drive for most people I would think.
    While the Rock Lake access might be a good 30-40 minutes from the Smoke/Canoe junction, it's still on Highway 60. We haven't made any reservations yet, so now's the time for anybody to chime in about the location. Well, everyone except Bubba that is! Just kidding!
    Last edited by Chard; 09-13-2013 at 10:34.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  4. #104
    ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kingston, ON Canada
    Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Posts
    300
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    While the Rock Lake access might be a good 30-40 minutes from the Smoke/Canoe junction, it's still on Highway 60. We haven't made any reservations yet, so now's the time for anybody to chime in about the location. Well, everyone except Bubba that is! Just kidding!
    Question: Do I need to present myself in person to pick up the interior camping permit? I'll be coming in from the Whitney end. Will I have to go right across the park to get it or could someone pick it up for me and I'll reimburse them at Rock Lake (assuming that's where we put in). I'm good either way. Just trying to plan my weekend.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

  5. #105
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    964
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Question: Do I need to present myself in person to pick up the interior camping permit? I'll be coming in from the Whitney end. Will I have to go right across the park to get it or could someone pick it up for me and I'll reimburse them at Rock Lake (assuming that's where we put in). I'm good either way. Just trying to plan my weekend.
    Good question. I'll inquire, but I don't think it'll be an issue.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  6. #106
    Jayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    1,088
    Is it October yet?

  7. #107
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    964
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Question: Do I need to present myself in person to pick up the interior camping permit? I'll be coming in from the Whitney end. Will I have to go right across the park to get it or could someone pick it up for me and I'll reimburse them at Rock Lake (assuming that's where we put in). I'm good either way. Just trying to plan my weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    P.S. Chard, I think Canoe lake's park office may only open on weekends after labour day and may be closed after Thanksgiving so you will need to check but you might have to get your permits at the west gate.
    Confirmed. As long as we have the necessary names, license plate numbers and tarp colours of all participants, only the permit holders, in this case myself for site #1 and at least one other for sites #2+, need present themselves to pick up the permits. Also, Cedar is correct. West Gate it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Is it October yet?
    Soon... Soon...
    Last edited by Chard; 09-16-2013 at 07:55.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON.
    Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Posts
    100
    Hey guys

    Gotta bow out .... looks like I'm going to New Zealand for work instead

    We went through Pen this spring and the "island" sites at the north end didn't have campsite signs on them. I forgot to ask about it but maybe they have shut them down for a while.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

  9. #109
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    964
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    Hey guys

    Gotta bow out .... looks like I'm going to New Zealand for work instead

    We went through Pen this spring and the "island" sites at the north end didn't have campsite signs on them. I forgot to ask about it but maybe they have shut them down for a while.
    Dang, that's a drag, but New Zealand! That sounds amazing. Manage to hang a hammock from Bag End's Party tree and you win the all time coolest hanger award!



    No north island campsites on Pen eh? Hmm. Must inquire further. It would be unpleasant to make that discovery while on the trip! Thanks for the heads up.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  10. #110
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    964
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    We went through Pen this spring and the "island" sites at the north end didn't have campsite signs on them. I forgot to ask about it but maybe they have shut them down for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    No north island campsites on Pen eh? Hmm. Must inquire further. It would be unpleasant to make that discovery while on the trip! Thanks for the heads up.
    I talked to Algonquin Park and the chap I spoke to isn't able to confirm one way or another whether the north island sites are closed or open. I've put the question out on myccr.com and we'll see what comes back.

    There's a write-up on the site I was hoping we could use at Algonquin Adventures > Pen Lake > Campsite #5.

    If anyone is planning on paddling by Pen between now and mid-October, could you provide an update?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •