Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Hi Guys,
    I'm just back from a trip to Ecuador and trying to get 100% over that. I see Y'all are planning an Oct trip! I will probably be very interested in that, although I am going to have a little surgery coming up and not sure of the dates yet and recovery time. Still, as of now, I am interested. I guess the first thing is to decide: car camp or backpack, either for 1 night or more. Either can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Not sure where in tishomingo we're considering but I was at the campground last year and the lake was GONE. Just weeds.
    What? When did that happen? Did we have drought last year? I am amazed it was dry enough to dry up that lake. wonder if it is back? There can be great hanging there, I have done it. It is hard to say how big a group it would handle. I have day hiked there, but I am not sure about what kind of backpack possibilities there are. I'm thinking not much, but that is a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by more View Post
    In my opinion, the Sipsey Wilderness is far more impressive than Tishomingo State Park, but it would require a lot more hiking rather than driving up and camping right by a parking lot.
    No doubt, especially if we are going to backpack at all. Something to keep in mind is that the last TWO Octobers I have backpacked there, the water levels were extremely low. ( I guess that is why Tishomingo was dried up?) It was a slight hassle to get to attractive water. I see that it is in another drying up trend right now, but who knows by October? Guess it depends on if it is going to rain, eh? Those creeks over there can go from almost dry to waist deep fight for your life in a heart beat!
    http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/n...te_no=02450250

Still, if even a simple overnight backpack is in the plans, the Sipsey is the closest thing around here that is 5 star rated. I recently saw a guide on how to interpret internet ratings:5 star= excellent, 4 star = OK/maybe, 1 star to 3 stars=crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    One other option is the Elvis Pressley lake outside Tupelo, Ive done a couple hangs there, It has a great bank loaded with old stand pine right off the lake. Parking pretty spacious too.
    Good to know! I never considered either Elvis Presley or Tombigbee for overnight hangs. For my local overnighters I always use Trace State Park (TSP) between Tupelo and Pontotoc. Pretty good hanging there, no backpacking ( not allowed anyway ), good day hiking. But on weekends, there are a lot of 4 wheelers/dirt bikes there, but I can usually get away from them, and rarely see or hear them on weekdays. I think there would be plenty of hanging available at the developed sights, especially in the campground center back from the lake just a bit. But I don't know if the primitive area has enough trees for a big group, will check on that if folks are thinking about TSP.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3/KAQ JARB
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR

North MISSISSIPPI/ALABAMA HANG??

BillyBob glad to see you chime in and that you made it back safely from your trip! Looking at dates with my wife and trying to figure out some options. Which brings the opportunity to notify all interested that this is of course a spouse and child friendly hang!

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3/KAQ JARB
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR

North MISSISSIPPI/ALABAMA HANG??

BillyBob glad to see you chime in and that you made it back safely from your trip! Looking at dates with my wife and trying to figure out some options. Which brings the opportunity to notify all interested that this is of course a spouse and child friendly hang!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    This definitely sounds interesting. I might be able to make it depending on the dates.

Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    I'm still watching this thread waiting for the dates to be announced. I just hope they work for me

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3/KAQ JARB
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    I can report on the dates that it will NOT be. September is out of the question. As well as October 5th and 12th and November 2nd and 30th. Those are all Saturday dates that are not available. Anything in between at this point will be dates considered. I am a people pleaser and would love to be able to accomodate everyone so if you have some dates that are good for you, throw em out there! Although, I am not under the impression that the date will end up pleasing everyone I am up for a 2 day hang and really don't care if it is car/or hike in. Who is already planning on bringing extended family as that may sway us one way or the other if we hike in or not. Here are the dates available. October 18-19, October 25-26. November 8-9, 15-16, and 22-23.
    Last edited by Chriss; 08-29-2013 at 16:32. Reason: General edit

Images
    I think the LA hang is Nov 7,8,9,10. So I will be at that one.

The Merriwether Lewis Hang is Oct 25, 26. Check out the notice on this site.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, DIY Digi Camo
    Tarp
    Rockin' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20°UQ, EE 20°TQ
    Suspension
    Rings/Straps
    Images
    Speaking from the vantage point of ignorance here but, would something in December or even January be precluded? So many hangs right now in September, October and November that to shove one more in amongst all those may be a losing proposition. Mild winters in the south and a chance to use the cold weather gear would be a nice opportunity for something different.

Just putting it out there. I won't get my feelings hurt if everyone thinks I'm nuts (already know it). Could be our version of the frozen butt hang only in the south and not frozen or -15 below.

See my store @ http://msdaddydaddy.wordpress.com/

No wound? No scar?
    Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
    And piercèd are the feet that follow Me.
    But thine are whole; can he have followed far
    Who hast no wound or scar?

Excerpt from a poem by Amy Carmichael
    Missionary to orphans in India.
    She suffered much -- and bore much eternal fruit.

There are Crock Pots and there are Microwaves. The world does microwaves; God does crock pots.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    I'm up for something in December. Wife thinks I'm nut's also!!!
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube