DIY 1.7 w/net, HH Exp Asy w/zipmod
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, HH Asm
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Eyehooks

I have been using those rachet/ tie down straps that have the heavy duty S-hooks on a pair of trees (also wrapped a layer of cotton towel around tree first,then put strap over that). The S hooks provide a nice connection point for whoopie slings,etc W/O damage to the trees and i leave them on the trees..so far so good. will move them up or down a bit when summer fades.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    My dad planted two oak trees in our backyard when I was 1 year old just to be able to use a hammock between them years later. After about 9 or 10 years he screwed a bolt into each one and the the trees are still going strong.

Putting eyehooks into trees

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I hate to think what hammockwaldek must think of me. I cut entire limbs off of trees on my property to suit my taste. It's called pruning. I also cut the grass and kill weeds.

The reality is, I nurture my woods and care for the plant life as best as I can.

Welcome to the real 21st century that the majority of us live in.

Dear gmcttr,
    My family has many gardens and great forests. I do understand what pruning is, as well as what taking care of these natural places means. So if you take a good care of your natural treasures like gardens etc. …well what can I say - that's great ... God bless you. And I mean it.

I'd like to recall that originally I just spoke here against damaging trees for fun.

In my opinion there is a difference between pruning and vandalism (damaging tree for fun in any way).

The difference would be: the responsibility.
    But that's just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by hammockwaldek; 02-05-2014 at 07:04.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Yes, one is alive and the other is dead. The one that is dead was once living. I think that is the point.
    Any woodworker (not construction worker but a true woodworker) will completely disagree with you, Junebugdawn. Wood continues to breath, expanding and contracting, and continues to grow, condensing and hardening, long after it has been cut from its roots. In essence, it still lives.

There are wooden instruments, for example, that are hundreds of years old (older even) that still vibrate, swell and shrink with humidity, and produce beautiful tone.

The settling of wood applies to the loss of moisture in the wood fibers but anyone who has non-lacquered wood furniture knows they have to condition the wood (equalize moisture, imagine the teak wood found on a boat...this needs to have oils added to it periodically to protect it from too much moisture) and/or wax the wood (prevents further moisture from entering) in order for the furniture to last, without cracking, discoloring, etc.

Yes, I know the tree is dead, but just saying, I think it a better perspective to see wooden structures and objects as living things, unlike, say, a concrete block structure or a wrought iron patio set.

I follow the same paradigm when it comes to leather, fur, and skins.

Sorry for going off topic : )

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Trees and Corn, they both can be crops. I have a buddy in Louisiana who owns a Tree farm, His massive property, surrounded by governement land, is set in sections following his Grandfathers schedual. This year he plants this section, this year he prunes and thins this section, this year he contracts out this section, etc. When he was growing up his grandfather used to take him on rides through their "forest" and his grandfather would say "What do you see Robert?" "Trees grandpa" "Nope, thats money son. Follow my plan like your father is and you'll never go hungry" It's unfortunate he's a bachelor crazy man child of the 70's. But he'll leave it to some worthwhile person or cause.

Nice to see a forest thats been on its own but it's nice not to overthink it to the place where your anthropormhing trees into people. You ask "What would the tree say" let me tell you. Nothing, it's a tree. Plants may react but they don't think. The plant will sense a foreign body and start growing over the wound. If it isn't infected you won't even know it was wounded till you cut it down. I've got a brace in a tree that I've got to worry about because there is no indication it's there.

The guy is talking about peggin his own tree and wants to know how to avoid damage. If he was in a park somewhere, that would be a different story
    From Somewhere near Parkville, Mo
    William Crane
    aka MrClean
    Everything you need to know about Hammocks in vids and reading:
    Hammock in 3 minutes D. Hansen - It really is this easy to make a hammock
    Shug's Hammock Newbies videos - Takes you buy the hand and shows you in video
    The Ultimate Hang D. Hansen - now read about everything
    JustJeff's Hammock tutorial - more reference
    TableclothFactoryBlanks - shorter lengths available on sidebar
    The TurtleDog Stand thread - Hang anywhere.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex fly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/Strap
    Images
    Here in TN I own 707 acres of property which over 400 of it is woods. My father raised me to respect the forest as well as manage it. I also took forest minsuration courses in spare summer time to make more educated decisions. They start SELECT cutting tomorrow on a 250 acre track that has not been touched in 65 years.

Forest need thinned just as a garden when planted to close. This takes out the larger trees that are getting bad with widowmaker limbs and open up the canopy for light to reach the smaller healthy trees so they can grow.

I did this to the 150 acre tract 15 years ago and wow what a difference it made. The forest is in a lot better shape with good healthy trees & very few widowmakers. You have to look extremely close to see any evidence of the cutting.

I have planted app 75 acres of trees in smaller abandoned fields on my property that I was not using for other purposes.

I am not a fan of clear cutting as the recovery time is much longer or if replanted its not with natural hardwood most times but softwood such as pine.

Drilling a hole does not harm the tree if the hole is left plugged. The tree will heal itself as our body heals itself. The worst damage is done when it's left open for insects to attack. If a hole is drilled and the spike is removed then, a plug should be whittled to plug it with to keep insects out just as we use a bandaid to protect a cut.

I lease the 250 tract to hunters with rules that not even a nail can be put in any tree. I use straps even in my own forest because I rarley ever hang in the same place and its a lot faster to hang the straps than drill the hole and plug it when done. If I left a hook I would surely forget it and leave it for the timber cutters to find in the future. If forest is not managed it becomes a fire hazard and littered with potential widow makers.

This property is left in my care by the grace of God to take the best care of it that I can. I also pay thousands of dollars a year in taxes for this privilege.

Public land is owned by all and should be treated as such with extra effort for LNT. It also should be managed but that's not my call. That's why Yellowstone and a lot of the west cost areas burn. I live within 8 mile of the Natchez Trace and every year they burn a different selected section to keep it from being destroyed by a BIG fire. A year after the burn you cannot see evidence or damage from this burn.

I believe we all have a say and responsibility about public land but no say about private land. An opinion yes, but no say.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap
    I think what to OPr is talking about is Respectful, Moderate use.

He cared enough to ask, and in moderation it has been shown that it will not harm the tree.

The problem is "When you ride a High Horse there are a lot more limbs that can knock you off."

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    Not that I have done this or want to do this but I'm wondering why shouldn't I screw some permanent hooks or eyes into my trees to hang my hammock from? The reason I ask is I have been watching this show about tree houses and the architect, Pete Nelson screws these huge posts into the trees to hold up his tree houses.

So what's the big deal if I want to permanently have some hooks to hang my hammock from attached to my trees? If Pete can screw some 2" posts into the trees without worrying about damage why should I worry over a little 1/2" hook or eye?
    My vote is: Go for it.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    Chrysalis (an ENO DN sometimes)
    Tarp
    The 4 Hats Hilton
    Insulation
    DIY Wunder Sling
    Suspension
    TDS
    Old Gringo & Old Biker have it right.
    I guess it's true that you don't get to be old if you haven't figured some things out.

Loggers want to cut everything in the name of profit. Tree huggers (note that I didn't say environmentalists) want to cut nothing in the name of preservation.
    The final answer is balance. They can be thought of as complementary, not opposing forces interacting to form a healthy, dynamic system in which the whole (the environment) is greater than the parts. Everything has both profit and preserve aspects, (e.g., shadow cannot exist without light). Either of the two major aspects may manifest more strongly in a particular situation, depending on the criterion of the observer. Humanistic good-bad distinctions and other dichotomous moral judgments are perceptual, not real; so, any one person's strict moral dogma is their own invisible realm.
    Okay, I'll stop now.
    So many trees, so little time...
    We follow where the Swamp Fox guides,
    His friends and merry men are we;
    And when the troop of Tarleton rides,
    We burrow in the cypress tree.
    The turfy hammock is our bed,
    Our home is in the red deer's den,
    Our roof, the tree-top overhead,
    For we are wild and hunted men.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end crinkle tablecloth
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°F
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockwaldek View Post
    Just to clarify - as a matter of fact, there is a difference between living tree and cut down piece of wood. Right (?)
    The inside of a living tree is already dead.
    Use stainless on your own trees as you want.