Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock

This rekindles my want for a WP/B hammock sock. I'll have to dig up my Driducks ponchos and see what I can come up with.

That goretex isn't priced half bad. I'll pick some of that up for other projects.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Just out of curiosity how well do you think that would breath through the night. We all know gore tex is as breaths or as they say. So do you think you might end up with quite a bit of frosting or condensation on the inside? Don't get me wrong I love the project and could find myself making one in the future. Just a couple of questions.
    Well, I'll find out when it gets colder, but I played around with a gore-tex bivey in my hammock (with me in it all zipped up) at the beginning of the year (with another ripstop sock around everything) and had zero condensation in the bivy as low as 20*. I really believe the newer generation of Gore-Tex breathes or lets water vapor pass much easier than the older stuff as long as it stays clean.

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    This rekindles my want for a WP/B hammock sock. I'll have to dig up my Driducks ponchos and see what I can come up with.

That goretex isn't priced half bad. I'll pick some of that up for other projects.
    I know from other hangers that the driducks works wonderfully. The only downside is the material is more fragile although very lite weight.

If my mad scientist experiment works out, I'll be making another in a different color - more stealthy.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    You sure are a busy guy . How do you find room in your brain for all this stuff . External hard drive ?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    You sure are a busy guy . How do you find room in your brain for all this stuff . External hard drive ?
    I find the older I get, the more I want to know about things. Knowledge may be power, but for me it's very entertaining. You should see my big pile of notes - on a hard drive!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

This was one thing that I was thinking of.
    I have a few gore text bvies lieing around and
    have wanted to do something with them.

This would be ultimate if you could make it a dual use
    item, if it could be used as a tarp or something else also.
    Actual, thinking of it... You could add pole supports
    and make it quite a pop tent.

Looks great. Has me mind churning.
    How hard was it to sew?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trambo.aka.sail1987 View Post
    This was one thing that I was thinking of.
    I have a few gore text bvies lieing around and
    have wanted to do something with them.

This would be ultimate if you could make it a dual use
    item, if it could be used as a tarp or something else also.
    Actual, thinking of it... You could add pole supports
    and make it quite a pop tent.

Looks great. Has me mind churning.
    How hard was it to sew?
    It's fairly heavy stuff - 5oz per yard, but very easy to sew. I used a 90/14 needle and 8 stitches per inch. It would probably make a great teepee.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lost_Biker, how'd you do the shape of this? Is it simply two matching half moons or is it more sculpted to fit the shape of the occupied hammock?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Lost_Biker, how'd you do the shape of this? Is it simply two matching half moons or is it more sculpted to fit the shape of the occupied hammock?
    HA! I was waiting for someone to ask. It's the exact same method I use to make tarps. I use a 10' long piece of 1/2" pvc and a string to make a bow. The 2 pieces of material are together - put the bow on the material and use a marker (turn the material inside out first so the marks won't show if you make a mistake). With both pieces together - 1 mark and cut both pieces at the same time. The outline matches a hammock very closely. Just measure the diameter of your hammock (loosely) with you in it and an uq hooked up with a piece of string right around the center of your hammock and over the ridge line. Give it a few extra inches and your done.

Here - this will show you. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=winter+sock

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    That's a nice looking sock. I like the choice of materials too. I am looking forward to hearing how this thing works in the cooler weather.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end ACU hammock.
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock

WOW, that is one awesome pod. I've had several Gore-Tex jackets in my day and loved them. Would really like to know how this works out. I'll be keeping tabs on your developments.
    CH;-\