Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Trail Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Hammock
    XLC Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    40 Burrow / Pad
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Posts
    345
    Images
    92

    OH > Mohican > Aug 30th - Sep 1st

    As a result of the discussion that HF member DonRox started here, I'm headed to Mohican for the weekend. Fellow HF members jlink79 & robblandon have said they are in and will hopefully reconfirm here. And I believe DivaB was a maybe pending a possible trip to Cedar Point. Thats actually a tough choice if you love roller coasters.

    I myself will be at Mohican on Thursday afternoon in the 3:00 - 4:00 neighborhood to signup for a Park & Pack site for me for the night and a site for the group for the following 3 days.

    I have no itinerary planned but there are about 16 miles of the Mountain Bike trail that I have yet to hike and I would like to get those miles under foot during the weekend. I'll be hauling in several gallons of store-purchased spring water into the camp site we choose on Friday morning/early afternoon so no worries about filtering/purifying for the weekend.

    Things to know:

    1. There is a 6-camper limit at all of the Park & Pack sites except site 9 which has a 20-camper limit. If we end up with more than 6 souls we'll have to use #9 or a couple of adjacent sites.

    2. Parking spaces are limited for sites 5-6 & 8-10. The parking lot for sites 1-4 & 7 is much larger but not a space we could use all of. Depending on the size of the group I'm sure an arrangement could be made to shuttle folks from one of the campground parking lots.

    3. Fires are only permitted in the established fire rings at each Park & Pack site.

    4. Park & Pack sites 1-6 are located along Bridal Trails. Sites 7-10 are located along a Mountain Bike Trail.

    5. There is a very good fold-out Trail Guide available at the office for Campground A off of SR 3 that sells for $2.

    Anyone that is interested in coming along would be more than welcome. I'm still new to the hammock and would like to see the setup from someone that is further up the trail if you will.

    I hope to see you there!

  2. #2

    OH > Mohican > Aug 30th - Sep 1st

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    As a result of the discussion that HF member DonRox started here, I'm headed to Mohican for the weekend. Fellow HF members jlink79 & robblandon have said they are in and will hopefully reconfirm here. And I believe DivaB was a maybe pending a possible trip to Cedar Point. Thats actually a tough choice if you love roller coasters.

    I myself will be at Mohican on Thursday afternoon in the 3:00 - 4:00 neighborhood to signup for a Park & Pack site for me for the night and a site for the group for the following 3 days.

    I have no itinerary planned but there are about 16 miles of the Mountain Bike trail that I have yet to hike and I would like to get those miles under foot during the weekend. I'll be hauling in several gallons of store-purchased spring water into the camp site we choose on Friday morning/early afternoon so no worries about filtering/purifying for the weekend.

    Things to know:

    1. There is a 6-camper limit at all of the Park & Pack sites except site 9 which has a 20-camper limit. If we end up with more than 6 souls we'll have to use #9 or a couple of adjacent sites.

    2. Parking spaces are limited for sites 5-6 & 8-10. The parking lot for sites 1-4 & 7 is much larger but not a space we could use all of. Depending on the size of the group I'm sure an arrangement could be made to shuttle folks from one of the campground parking lots.

    3. Fires are only permitted in the established fire rings at each Park & Pack site.

    4. Park & Pack sites 1-6 are located along Bridal Trails. Sites 7-10 are located along a Mountain Bike Trail.

    5. There is a very good fold-out Trail Guide available at the office for Campground A off of SR 3 that sells for $2.

    6. If I remember, my AT&T cell phone did not work in many places around Mohican.

    We should make a determination on where to meetup or a place for the 1st arrival to post a note as to where to meet. I would suggest we plan to camp in the 7-10 area as which ever site is chosen, it would not be hard to find each other.

    I may also be arriving late aft. On Thurs.

  3. #3
    jlink79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Columbus, Oh
    Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    working on it
    Insulation
    Golite 20 topquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    264
    I have about 10 different things going on that weekend now. One is a friend leaving for Basic and is have a going away party on Saturday. I may come up just for one night most likely Sunday to Monday or just Friday Night. I'll just look at the register for the site or your car Trail Runner. As it stands I think site #10 would be cool but we did have a lot of options at #9. AS for activities I would like to hike around sites 5 and 6 on the bridle trail. There is Malabar Farm close by that has a 7 mile loop.

  4. #4
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,099
    I am really hoping to make this. I love site 10, it's the prettiest and Dakota and I have the perfect triangle configuration set up there under one tarp (if we get those trees).....but that site is the noisiest, every site's sounds echo up there. But site 9 holds the most. I'm really Ok with any. I've never been to the ones around the creek, but I'm sure I can find them, and they'll be just as fine too. I just hope to get out.

    Usually when we're at Mohican, Dakota and I aren't there at the sites except for late evenings, because we're super busy with the abundance of activities that are around that area. I hope to to keep things more mellow for myself this time, we may re-hit the the trails at Pleasant Hill Lake, but for me it's small walks, not long hikes.

    T.M.I. Yes, in my teens, twenties and early thirties I loved coasters. Then somewhere in my late thirties I developed a fear of heights.....which unexpectedly hit me while atop a giant ferris wheel. No rhyme or reason for the irrational fear, but it now exist for some reason, and it's rather strong and enjoys blind siding me. I will know more Wednesday what is going on and will let you guys know. Dakota is almost 16 now, so thankfully I can just drop he and his friend off at the park, while I do something else.

    I hope to see you all soon/and to meet those I haven't yet!!

  5. #5
    Trail Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Hammock
    XLC Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    40 Burrow / Pad
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Posts
    345
    Images
    92
    Everything is still a go and I am just getting ready to pack my gear. I may be getting to Mohican a little later tomorrow than anticipated...probably in the neighborhood of 4:00-5:00 at the very latest. I'm normally done at work by 1pm but its been crazy all week so I may have to stay until 2pm tomorrow.

    As robblandon pointed out, phone service at Mohican is sketchy at best so I'll send a PM with my name & the type of car I drive tomorrow afternoon to everyone who has confirmed by then (except jlink79 who already knows). People can then check the sign-in kiosk for the site I've reserved.

    I'm planning on using site 5 or 6 for Thursday night and reserving whatever site you folks would prefer for the weekend. If no preference is expressed I'll go for site 9 or 10 if available.

    Hope to see you there!

  6. #6
    Senior Member jbrescue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    126
    Have fun and post some pics when you get back. We will be taking our scouts there later.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

  7. #7
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,099
    For right now, I'm out. Like literally, my back is out. Unless my inversion table does a miracle in the next 12 hours, it's not looking to likely.

  8. #8
    Trail Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Hammock
    XLC Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    40 Burrow / Pad
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Posts
    345
    Images
    92

    Had to Bail -- Family Emergency

    I spent last night at site 6 and shared the site with fellow HF member robblandon. After hauling in some water to site 10 this morning I went down to the covered bridge to do some hiking and robblandon was going to site 10 to cook his breakfast. When I emerged from the trail to the fire tower my cell phone rang with some bad news and I had to quickly jog back to my car and head for home. Myself and robblandon had no meet up plans and I wasn't sure where he'd be and no time to look so he doesn't know that I have left the park.

    If there is anyone headed out there today or tomorrow could you please inform robblandon why I vanished, he'll be camped at Park & Pack site 10.

    Thanks,
    Trail Runner

  9. #9
    New Member adamsw3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    SBP
    Tarp
    Ewotah 10x10
    Insulation
    USGI Woobie
    Suspension
    JRB
    Posts
    44
    What sites are available? Anyone have a clue. Heading up tonight after work and need one for myself and girlfriend.

  10. #10
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I spent last night at site 6 and shared the site with fellow HF member robblandon. After hauling in some water to site 10 this morning I went down to the covered bridge to do some hiking and robblandon was going to site 10 to cook his breakfast. When I emerged from the trail to the fire tower my cell phone rang with some bad news and I had to quickly jog back to my car and head for home. Myself and robblandon had no meet up plans and I wasn't sure where he'd be and no time to look so he doesn't know that I have left the park.
    If there is anyone headed out there today or tomorrow could you please inform robblandon why I vanished, he'll be camped at Park & Pack site 10.

    Thanks,
    Trail Runner
    I sure hope everything is okay on your end.

    Quote Originally Posted by adamsw3 View Post
    What sites are available? Anyone have a clue. Heading up tonight after work and need one for myself and girlfriend.
    Just go to Park and Pack site 10. There is plenty of room there, and you can inform Rob what is going on, so that he knows whats going on. Have fun.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •