Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WBBB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator 40
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Posts
    127

    Hammock Overated for my size?

    Hey all, I just recently purchased a WBBB 1.7 double w/adjustable strap suspension. I am a measly 5'10" and 150lb on a fat day. I have spent 7 nights in this thing already and I am really comfortable!
    I was wondering if there is any harm in having this hammock that is suppose to accommodate folks up to 275-400 lb's? Should I sell it an get a 1.1 double or does it even matter if you are under the rated weight?
    Thoughts, opinions, thanks!
    Keep on Keepin' on ya'll!

  2. #2
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,203
    Images
    129
    Is weight of the hammock an issue? Are you using a pad? If not why the double layer?
    It's all a matter of personal preference but a stretch hammock is not as comfortable to me. I prefer the thicker materials even with weight penalty.

    hth
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  3. #3
    Caveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Springtown, Tx.
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Posts
    2,008
    If you are comfy, I don't see any reason to change a thing. Of course...If you are anything like me, 1 hammock is never enough.

    That being said, if it was me (and you wanted a different hammock) I'd trade to the 1.1 single layer. If you get it with whoopies you can stay under 20oz. I'm at about 210# and have a 1.1 SL and haven't had any problems.

    At 150# you can use just about about any hammock there is.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

  4. #4
    Senior Member bear bag hanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Posts
    495
    Images
    4
    There is no harm being done. If you use this for backpacking, then a lighter weight hammock has it advantages, but if you're happy with the one you have, keep it.

  5. #5
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,357
    Images
    57
    When I lost some weight I sold my 1.7 DL and bought 1.7 SL just to reduce some weight and bulk. I'm not overly weight conscious but I if I can reduce the weight and size then why not. If you are comfortable and not fussed about the ounces then no reason to change.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  6. #6
    MotoBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Posts
    168
    Pack weight a concern? If not it is fine. The heavier the material, single or double the flatter lay. A single is fine in summer but as the weather changes the double gives you an option to add some sort of insulation, in addition to a under quilt.

    But then I sold it to buy something different.....
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NORTHWEST NORTH AMERICA
    Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Posts
    487
    My experience being a 60 inch tall person who purchased larger hammocks so my dog would be able to sleep with me is: I am kind of lost in all the fabric, they are also a pain for me to get out of plus all I can see is the sky, mostly it is like being in a tent, I can not see much. Nocturnal trips are dangerous I get awful cramps in my legs trying to get out, I am mildly worried about accidentally getting out of the hammock and injuring myself.

    You really need to try before you buy, I wish I had been able to try them out first. I now own eight hammocks and only really like one. Kind of funny because it is next to the least expensive.

  8. #8
    Craigthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    My experience being a 60 inch tall person who purchased larger hammocks so my dog would be able to sleep with me is: I am kind of lost in all the fabric, they are also a pain for me to get out of plus all I can see is the sky, mostly it is like being in a tent, I can not see much. Nocturnal trips are dangerous I get awful cramps in my legs trying to get out, I am mildly worried about accidentally getting out of the hammock and injuring myself.

    You really need to try before you buy, I wish I had been able to try them out first. I now own eight hammocks and only really like one. Kind of funny because it is next to the least expensive.
    See now you got to sell them so you can buy more to try.

  9. #9
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WBBB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator 40
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Is weight of the hammock an issue? Are you using a pad? If not why the double layer?
    It's all a matter of personal preference but a stretch hammock is not as comfortable to me. I prefer the thicker materials even with weight penalty.

    hth
    I am a backpacker, weight is an issue but I think I could probably shave off more weight in other areas before I worry about a few ounces. I wanted the option of a pad as well as an underquilt. Right now I have a 40 degree incubator (HG) that has kept me warm thus far but as temps continue dropping and as I climb higher elevations I know I will need to upgrade. I still need to buy a top quilt (I am using a fleece liner currently), so to improvise I can use a pad as well as a top quilt for bottom insulation
    Keep on Keepin' on ya'll!

  10. #10
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WBBB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator 40
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    If you are comfy, I don't see any reason to change a thing. Of course...If you are anything like me, 1 hammock is never enough.

    That being said, if it was me (and you wanted a different hammock) I'd trade to the 1.1 single layer. If you get it with whoopies you can stay under 20oz. I'm at about 210# and have a 1.1 SL and haven't had any problems.

    At 150# you can use just about about any hammock there is.
    Sick, good to know!
    Keep on Keepin' on ya'll!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •