Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Alrighty ill give those a try then! and I just use a amsteel contentious loop like lark headed onto the cinch buckle right?
    Check this thread for the correct method to connect amsteel...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78429. Pay attention to post #10 for what happens when you do it wrong.

    In the first link to dutch's site in my earlier post, check the drop down box next to "Add-ons:" for plain cinch buckles, buckles with amsteel loops spliced on, or a complete set with webbing.

  2. #12
    SimonMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hammock
    Tier Gear Cradle
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Slings and straps
    Posts
    453
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Alrighty ill give those a try then! and I just use a amsteel contentious loop like lark headed onto the cinch buckle right?
    I would not have confidence in a contentious loop .

  3. #13
    Senior Member Armor Like Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ozark Missouri
    Hammock
    DIY grey bones hammock.
    Tarp
    DIY Cuban hex tarp
    Insulation
    Kodak mummy bag
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy View Post
    I would not have confidence in a contentious loop .
    Crap >_> hope this isn't more complicated then what I expected...
    Viper

  4. #14
    SimonMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hammock
    Tier Gear Cradle
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Slings and straps
    Posts
    453
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Crap >_> hope this isn't more complicated then what I expected...
    I would have confidence in a continuous loop just not a contentious one . It was an attempt at humour don't let that put you off, the loop will be fine.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Armor Like Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ozark Missouri
    Hammock
    DIY grey bones hammock.
    Tarp
    DIY Cuban hex tarp
    Insulation
    Kodak mummy bag
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Check this thread for the correct method to connect amsteel...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78429. Pay attention to post #10 for what happens when you do it wrong.

    In the first link to dutch's site in my earlier post, check the drop down box next to "Add-ons:" for plain cinch buckles, buckles with amsteel loops spliced on, or a complete set with webbing.
    Alright I kicked your link in this post and was reading what Dutch said but its not clicking so is he saying you can either do what he did in the first picture or the second picture?
    So I can prussic it or wrap it on their? And after that he is talking about splicing I'm confused what does splicing mean and what is he splicing? Sorry I'm completely new to this stuff with buckels.
    Viper

  6. #16
    SimonMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hammock
    Tier Gear Cradle
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Slings and straps
    Posts
    453
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Alright I kicked your link in this post and was reading what Dutch said but its not clicking so is he saying you can either do what he did in the first picture or the second picture?
    So I can prussic it or wrap it on their? And after that he is talking about splicing I'm confused what does splicing mean and what is he splicing? Sorry I'm completely new to this stuff with buckels.
    Dutch is recommending the wrap in the top picture and the splice would be in the making of the continuous loop, after you have wrapped the buckle. At least that is my take on it as I have not done it yet but will this weekend.

  7. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,178
    The cinch buckle has to be filled, edge to edge with the rope so that it can't slip to one side as pictured in post 10 of that link.

    Dutch does it by wrapping the amsteel around the cinch buckle several times and then splicing (a method of joining without using knots) the ends together to form a continuous loop. This places the two legs of amsteel coming off the buckle at the outermost edges which theoretically makes it more stabile. This is shown in his first photo.

    His second photo shows the amsteel loop larks headed (prusik) to the cinch buckle with multiple wraps to fill the space keeping it centered. with this method the two legs of amsteel come off the buckle in the center.

    Either way can be used. As with everything to do with your hammock suspension, look it over to make sure everything is aligned correctly before you get in.

    I'm not sure if I explained it clearly or just made it more confusing. Hope I helped.

  8. #18
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,253
    Images
    196
    Viper I would like to send you a free set of buckles that have the loops spliced on and straps if you need them. Just pm me your address.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  9. #19
    Craigthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Viper I would like to send you a free set of buckles that have the loops spliced on and straps if you need them. Just pm me your address.
    Now that is a stand up guy right there.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Viper I would like to send you a free set of buckles that have the loops spliced on and straps if you need them. Just pm me your address.
    Pretty great place around here!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •