WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    Wish the eastern US had public use lands like they have out west
    That's why I head up to Michigan 9/10 trips!

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Summer vs winter

In summer I don't use a fire, too much work and time required. If after dark I want a little light I'll use my candle lantern.

So that means in the late afternoon I can pretty much focus on a good spot to hang the Hammock.

Winter time it gets dark early so a fire is nice for a couple hours after dark, and then a small one for morning coffee.

There are fire rings just about everywhere. The most popular level areas near water have had the downed wood pretty much cleared out by mid winter. So I just pick a "not so nice camp site for ground dwellers" with a small ring - and I can find plenty of wood for a couple of small fires.

Just a question, camping at campsite or in random?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I AVOID campgrounds, state parks, established sites, and pretty much any place I think a human may have been before haha! Seriously, I love getting into a remote place or at least a quiet place away from the trails. It's a lot of fun to bushwack and end up "nowhere" and just set up camp.
    I couldn't have said it better. I like getting away - that means AWAY.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I generally will use pre-existing campsites, but I am just as open to finding two trees anywhere and hanging my hammock.

Last trip I went on, we counted 5 fire rings at one of the small campsites beside the river. Site was only big enough for 2 tents, yet 5 Fire-Rings.
    It was nice to come to such a beautiful location covered with charred rocks. I cant keep others from trashing the forest but I can do my best to minimize my impact on it. I just try and find pre-existing fire-rings if I want to build a fire. HYOH

I Learn So Others Can Too FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Hammock
    Bonefire UL
    Tarp
    Cuben 10'x8'
    Insulation
    Integrated& DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps&DIY buckles
    Images
    I prefer a non-established site and try my best to leave it looking like I was never there.
    -Jeremy

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube
    My Trail Journal
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Since the vast majority of my camping is in state parks, I use the designated sites. DNR has enough trouble with folks who don't care about the resources. They don't need me also ignoring the rules.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I AVOID campgrounds, state parks, established sites, and pretty much any place I think a human may have been before haha! Seriously, I love getting into a remote place or at least a quiet place away from the trails. It's a lot of fun to bushwack and end up "nowhere" and just set up camp.
    +1 on this style. It's what I've been doing for many, many moons. Now that I'm a "hanger", my options grew immensely.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    It's one thing to have a fire ring in your backyard, or at a designated campsite, but for a temporary camp, a fire ring is a terrible thing to construct. Wastes time, energy, and most people just leave it there when they leave as an eyesore.
    When you leave camp, they shouldn't be any sign that you stayed there, and you can still have a fire.
    What you should be doing is, pick where you want your fire, clear that area of debris, right down to the dirt.
    Next morning when your ready to leave, pour some water on the coals and make sure they're good and out/wet. Kick/throw the coal bed around, spreading them all over. Now kick the debris back that you originally cleared.
    It only takes a minute, but it'll look like no one was ever there....
    Yep! My other 'go to' option, as long as the ground isn't frozen, is a Dakota fire pit. Truly LNT when done properly.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    Just depends. I will usually pick a spot near water. And the availability of a pre made camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ===> Google a Dakota Fire Hole. You can have your fire, cook over it, and leave virtually no trace you were ever there if done correctly! I use this method when stealth camping, as it makes it very difficult for someone else to see (if you use the right fuel - barely any smoke!)
    I was going to suggest the same thing.

I don't like established campsites so I find spots along the trail another reason is I don't want to stop early because that's where the the campsite is or have to hike late to get to the next one. I set my own pace and look for a good spot to camp once it get to be mid to late afternoon.