Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up New suspention setup

I just recieved my new custom hammock suspention set up and was told by the owner of readystrap.com that it was the first setup of this configuration that he has ever been asked to make.
    Gary over at readystrap said he thought it was a smart setup,it goes like this
    3,000lb strap with a dee ring on one end, to use as a chock around the tree,the other end a lock n load cinch buckle.
    I am going to make a continues loop on the one end of the lock n load and larks head it onto my hammock, you can use a carabiner on that end but the whole point is to help cut down on weight and to feel more secure.
    You can have it made out of 1,500lb straps to make it even lighter but i am a big guy and like the heavy duty feel

I have asked gary at readystraps to do a stress test on the dee ring to determen the exact weight capacity of the dee ring
    As soon as he gets time to do this i will post the results

The whole setup -tree straps with adjustable cinch buckle should cost around $25 bucks
    You can even have your straps personalized with your name or logo or just about anything that will fit on a strap printed right on them!!
    The printing is fairly cheap,overall the prices on readystrap.com are very reasonable!

Go to readystrap.com and shoot Gary an email or give him a call,he is a great guy and will help you in any way he can

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    You might want to consider using a 'biner instead of the D ring for easier attach/detach at the tree. It will become tedious feeding the strap through those rings everytime and then having to feed it into the cinch buckle. If you don't plan on attach/detach often you might not find your method tiresome. Since I am rarely hanging int he same spot two days in a row it would bother me. With the biner, the strap stays attached to the buckle and then you wrap the strap around the tree and clip it with the biner. Same concept, just less steps for attach/detach. Also, be sure to do a minimum of a double larkshead with the loop around the buckle. Depending on the cord diameter, you may want to do a triple. this will keep it from slipping to the corner of the buckle and releasing the strap.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    You might want to consider using a 'biner instead of the D ring for easier attach/detach at the tree. It will become tedious feeding the strap through those rings everytime and then having to feed it into the cinch buckle. If you don't plan on attach/detach often you might not find your method tiresome. Since I am rarely hanging int he same spot two days in a row it would bother me. With the biner, the strap stays attached to the buckle and then you wrap the strap around the tree and clip it with the biner. Same concept, just less steps for attach/detach. Also, be sure to do a minimum of a double larkshead with the loop around the buckle. Depending on the cord diameter, you may want to do a triple. this will keep it from slipping to the corner of the buckle and releasing the strap.
    Yes if you are moving locations often it may take a minute longer but for me to feed thru the dee rind and then the cinch buckle it takes less than 14 seconds, my wife timed me several times and i really was not rushing also the loop does not go thru the cinch buckle it goes thru the end of the lock n load strap aka quick draw.
    One of the reasons that i came up with the dee ring idea is because a forest ranger told me that he had concerns about the carabiner was digging into the tree, for my wifes setup it was an easy fix-she uses a dutch clip but they are not rated for my weight.
    I am a bit heavier and this setup is perfect for me and anybody else who wants to go with a beefier strap.
    Besides i think part of the fun is taking my time and setting up my gear,unless it is about to rain or you are losing light really fast what is the rush?
    And even if it is getting dark you cannot drop or lose the dee ring because it is attached,no fumbling around looing for it .
    Also if you have the dee ring made on the end of your strap there is still room to slide a biner thru the end and then you can use the dee ring to hang your gear on!
    IN this video your cont loop would go where the biner is and then larkshead to your hammock look for the video on quick draws .
    Or you can just have a three inch loop sewn on the end and that is big enough to pass the whole setup thru- cinch buckle and all!

http://youtu.be/ujTzpNLIY2g
    Last edited by Zilla; 09-01-2013 at 07:47.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

I also believe that running my webbing thru a dee ring does less wear and tear on the straps than running them thru themselves, the webbing edges rubbing against the inside of the loops will start to fray over time.
    This is just my take on this, but it is the way i am going to setup my hammock and enjoy hanging!

http://www.readystrap.com/

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Can I see a picture of one in use, Scott?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    Can I see a picture of one in use, Scott?
    Cant get out today but will try to on monday- tues at the latest,
    I still have to make up my loops, gonna use 1/8 amsteel,the loops are going in place of the carabiner.
    I had to wait for the lock n loads to arrive as the loops have to be made on them

http://youtu.be/ujTzpNLIY2g

UPDATE- I will get out later today and get the pics (needed permission) its my wifes weekend to make our plans but she caved in to my charms

ooops, spoke too soon started raining really hard,i will be out there in the morning
    Last edited by Zilla; 09-01-2013 at 22:58.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Also as promised here is the test results for the dee rings,
    Testing done by Gary over at readystrap.com
    His email read -

(Hi Scott, just got done testing one. Un-Certified. Breaking strength 2214
    lbs. Safe Working Load. 738 lbs)

So no matter how big you are these dee rings are not going to fail,

My wife just got out her sewing machine and has started my double layer camo hammock -YEEESSS!- As soon as that is done i will post pics, gonna leave an opening on both ends to slide in a pad , set it up with my ready strap cinch buckle dee ring rig and be ready to hang anywhere

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok so basically your suspension system can hold lots and lots of lbs, but what rope do you use as a end channel rope, whats the breaking strength of that rope?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aye Aye View Post
    Ok so basically your suspension system can hold lots and lots of lbs, but what rope do you use as a end channel rope, whats the breaking strength of that rope?
    he said 1/8 amsteel. That is around 2400 lbs off the top ofmy head. Doubled for what he is doing then derated for the hitch.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts