Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member photomankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Adjustable Strap
    Posts
    261
    Images
    21

    #$%^@$%# Weather

    God I love Missouri. Trip planned for weeks been looking like a little rain the first night Sat and then a nice day Sun and Mon. Then in 3 days it goes from a rainy and little cold to a d!@# blizzard..... on the LAST WEEKEND OF MARCH. I swear, I almost am ready to believe in a higher power since it's pushing it to think that chance just manages to set a major storm over every trip I plan.

    I was actually thinking it would be a neat test of my sleep system until it started looking like high's in the 40's and 15mph winds were going to be my reward for slogging through the snow and ice on Saturday.

    Oh well. I hate trying to plan weekend trips. It's a total waste to drive 5 hours to SE Missouri to set under a tarp in the rain and it only takes a few hours of movement in a storm's time-frame to make it a mostly nice weekend to a mostly nasty one. I'll just have to wait a little longer for my woods-fix.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl or HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Siltarp 2 Stock HH
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Posts
    387
    Images
    31
    I am headed to the Ozark Trail tomorrow, getting in late afternoon. The forecast looks pretty bad for Saturday night:

    Rain likely before 9pm, then snow likely. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

    I may end up sleeping in my car at the trailhead if its bad enough. The good news is it's supposed to clear up on Sunday and be really nice for a coupla days.

    Where were you headed? I'm starting here:

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.011051&z=16

    --Kurt

  3. #3
    Senior Member photomankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Adjustable Strap
    Posts
    261
    Images
    21
    I was headed a little SW of there to Rocky Falls on the Current River Section. I wish I could take a couple days off and go Sunday night and Monday night and come home Tuesday but since I was going to do this with a friend and he wasn't wanting to take 2 days of vacation we are just going to have to pick another weekend.

    Are you heading towards the Lake or towards Taum Suak from DD? I have spent several days along the Bell Mountain, Taum Sauk, and Peter Cave Hollow areas in there. It's a really pretty place in the fall! If you can get there quick you might even catch Mina Sauk Falls flowing after a good soaking rain.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Heber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    State College, PA
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I was headed a little SW of there to Rocky Falls on the Current River Section. I wish I could take a couple days off and go Sunday night and Monday night and come home Tuesday but since I was going to do this with a friend and he wasn't wanting to take 2 days of vacation we are just going to have to pick another weekend.

    Are you heading towards the Lake or towards Taum Suak from DD? I have spent several days along the Bell Mountain, Taum Sauk, and Peter Cave Hollow areas in there. It's a really pretty place in the fall! If you can get there quick you might even catch Mina Sauk Falls flowing after a good soaking rain.
    I went to Mina Sauk in November but the falls were dry. Did it again in February after the rains and it was flowing nicely. We hung our hammock on top of Taum Sauk on a crystal clear night and watched the stars.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl or HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Siltarp 2 Stock HH
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Posts
    387
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Are you heading towards the Lake or towards Taum Suak from DD? I have spent several days along the Bell Mountain, Taum Sauk, and Peter Cave Hollow areas in there. It's a really pretty place in the fall! If you can get there quick you might even catch Mina Sauk Falls flowing after a good soaking rain.
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

    My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

    --Kurt

  6. #6
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,495
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

    My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

    --Kurt
    Yeah ... no problem for you Kurt. Have fun, be vigilant, take pix....
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl or HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Siltarp 2 Stock HH
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Posts
    387
    Images
    31

    TR posted

    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Yeah ... no problem for you Kurt. Have fun, be vigilant, take pix....
    Shug
    Brief TR here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8076

    Took lots (130) pics and quite a few vids, but just included a few that showed my HH.

    --Kurt

  8. #8
    Senior Member photomankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Adjustable Strap
    Posts
    261
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

    My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

    --Kurt
    You'll enjoy that area. Bell offer's some great views and I'm sure they are even better with the foliage not yet in. Looks like you have some good weather from Sunday on to Thursday. I wish I had 7 days to work with!

    If you come to the road that leads W-NW into Peter Cave Hollow follow it on down past the ruins of the old homestead till it runs into the hills at the end. There is a quiet little double waterfall (little) there and a nice pool and just a quiet, very nice setting in general. The trail that leads back there is rough and not well traveled but I think the spot is worth the hike.

    IM me if you'd like a Google Earth KML with that track on it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl or HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Siltarp 2 Stock HH
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Posts
    387
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    You'll enjoy that area. Bell offer's some great views and I'm sure they are even better with the foliage not yet in. Looks like you have some good weather from Sunday on to Thursday. I wish I had 7 days to work with!

    If you come to the road that leads W-NW into Peter Cave Hollow follow it on down past the ruins of the old homestead till it runs into the hills at the end. There is a quiet little double waterfall (little) there and a nice pool and just a quiet, very nice setting in general. The trail that leads back there is rough and not well traveled but I think the spot is worth the hike.

    IM me if you'd like a Google Earth KML with that track on it.
    Crap, didn't see your post until I got back. Hiked right through Peter Cave Hollow, but didn't see what the big fuss was about. Wish I woulda had your track. I'm gonna go back at some point, can you please send me your track file? Thanks!

    --Kurt

  10. #10
    Senior Member Heber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    State College, PA
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I am headed to the Ozark Trail tomorrow, getting in late afternoon. The forecast looks pretty bad for Saturday night:

    Rain likely before 9pm, then snow likely. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

    I may end up sleeping in my car at the trailhead if its bad enough. The good news is it's supposed to clear up on Sunday and be really nice for a coupla days.

    Where were you headed? I'm starting here:

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.011051&z=16

    --Kurt
    Looks like the Middle Fork section. I love that section. Did it over New Years. Lots of pretty streams and even a few waterfalls. Have fun!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •