Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs,CO
    Hammock
    WBBB! Is there really any other?:)
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!
    Insulation
    blue pad/sleep bag
    Suspension
    adj. slings
    Posts
    70
    Mugen

    that sounds like a great area--what's the name of the camp ground?

    early Oct works for me too

  2. #32
    Senior Member Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Texas plains
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    179

    Re: Any Talk of a Colorado Fall Hang?

    Quote Originally Posted by hikinghombre View Post
    Mugen

    that sounds like a great area--what's the name of the camp ground?

    early Oct works for me too
    He didn't mention an exact campground, I looked around on google, I know there's buffalo creek, and green mountain campgrounds, but it appears there are places along the road for smaller primitive campgrounds areas, or at least from satellite. I can email him some more and get details, I just wondered if any locals here knew it, and how it would go over. Kinda get a idea if it was worth pursuing. Some of the online info says the campgrounds are closed, but usually if we get with local FS and let them know they don't care they just like knowing what's going on. That being said usual also means there is no guarantee that restrooms will be open, but like I said this was to see about interest before we go getting the government involved.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Texas plains
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    179
    I can get more details, did anyone have any questions before I go looking for more information?

  4. #34
    Boothill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    WARBONNET BMJ/DOOR
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS & BUCKLES
    Posts
    1,181
    just a heads up

    last years fall hang was the first weekend of october at burning bear campground which is at 9600' in elevation, on the first night we had a low of 15 degrees and on saturday i don't think it got any warmer than 35 all day and we had a low of 10 degrees that night

    just wanted people are aware of what kind of temps they could be looking at for higher elevations, and if that has any bearing on where people are looking at campsites for this years hang

    boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

    3rd Annual Black Hills Hang planning thread, August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 2014

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88341

    PitaPata Dog tickers

  5. #35
    New Member fartingOWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
    Any good spots in Roosevelt NF? That's closer to me than probably anywhere else in CO.
    Looks like there's plenty of campgrounds in the Canyon Lakes RD (West of Fort Collins, CO) some even with some walk-in sites which seems to be nice and convenient for BullFrog given his trip: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/r...36603&actid=29

    Aspen Glen, Big Bend, and Kelly Flats all seem to be decent campgrounds, but if we decide on this area for a hang perhaps a quick phone call to the ranger station will clear up any questions as to whether or not it can actually accommodate our hang.

    How's October 4th - 6th?

  6. #36
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Posts
    537

    Re: Any Talk of a Colorado Fall Hang?

    Quote Originally Posted by fartingOWL View Post
    Looks like there's plenty of campgrounds in the Canyon Lakes RD (West of Fort Collins, CO) some even with some walk-in sites which seems to be nice and convenient for BullFrog given his trip: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/r...36603&actid=29

    Aspen Glen, Big Bend, and Kelly Flats all seem to be decent campgrounds, but if we decide on this area for a hang perhaps a quick phone call to the ranger station will clear up any questions as to whether or not it can actually accommodate our hang.

    How's October 4th - 6th?
    My only input on all that is this: while Aspen Glen a nice campground right on the river (so you can't hear the highway you're also right on), it wouldn't be any good for a group hang. Too few trees.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Texas plains
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    just a heads up

    last years fall hang was the first weekend of october at burning bear campground which is at 9600' in elevation, on the first night we had a low of 15 degrees and on saturday i don't think it got any warmer than 35 all day and we had a low of 10 degrees that night

    just wanted people are aware of what kind of temps they could be looking at for higher elevations, and if that has any bearing on where people are looking at campsites for this years hang

    boot
    For this reason I suggest some where we can car camp, in case anyone has a problem with the cold they have some where to retreat to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    My only input on all that is this: while Aspen Glen a nice campground right on the river (so you can't hear the highway you're also right on), it wouldn't be any good for a group hang. Too few trees.
    You don't know the FS550 (near Deckers) area that Cannibal suggested do you? I need to find out more just didn't have time today.

  8. #38
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Posts
    537

    Re: Any Talk of a Colorado Fall Hang?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    You don't know the FS550 (near Deckers) area that Cannibal suggested do you? I need to find out more just didn't have time today.
    I don't. ;c

  9. #39
    Boulderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner, NX-250, DIY
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    JRB over, WB under
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by fartingOWL View Post
    How's October 4th - 6th?
    I might be able to make those dates.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Texas plains
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    179
    I found out the rest of the info on the Colorado Trail area. It's on a maintained dirt road, there is a privy at the turn off. The primitive sites are anything from small family to block party size, from secluded to out in the open with other sites near by, mostly on the north side of the road. There is no fee, so no reservations. It would just depend on the size of the group, and who ever gets there first would have to pick out accordingly. The Tramway Trail is very near also. Anyone wanting to look at the area can find it north west of Deckers on 126 google calls FS 550 Redskin Creek road. I can probably swing first weekend still, but second has better chances, and anywhere in Colorado sound good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •